Remove this Banner Ad

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
LDU and Aaron Black or Bell has monumentally stuffed up and the club should start the rebuild again.
OK, after everything I have seen to date, and after reading the various final lists today by Twomey, Fox, and Herald Sun, etc. I still honestly really don't know much about these kids bar some comments, stats, and highlight reels, so based on what the broad range of experts are saying, and knowing these lists also don't necessarily guarantee associated career trajectory based on what we have seen in past years, I expect to see at our first two picks:
  • Robertson
  • Young
And while Young has mentioned that he is not keen to go interstate, that isn't uncommon, and in his first interview will mention how he looks forward to earning the opportunity to play alongside dual Brownlow medalist Nat Fyfe.

Eventually however, Stephens will become a star for Port and Chris25 will again have earnt the chance to say I told you so

As someone who has consistently been a member of the Stephens/Robertson duo fan club, would be awfully tempting to go for Young though. Still would wonder if Sydney or Adelaide might go for him tho

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
102 voters so far and nobody wants Serong.

Wouldn’t be a disaster imo although I did vote differently.

I voted for best available at Pick 7 which I reckon is Young and went slightly more needs based at Pick 8 and chose Stephens.

Robertson a close third but I had to chose two.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well I'm willing to take the punt that Robertson has more good AFL games in front of him that Conca, Banfield, North, and Blakely.

Combined.
That's great, but its not a convincing argument to me.
He just won the Larke medal. In this incredibly even draft year he dominated consistently. I’m pretty certain he will be better than Crowden, Banfield, Tucker, Conca. Has Blakely ever laid a tackle? If we have so many inside mids why the hell do we play Walters and a 65 year old Mundy in there? I suspect the bias against Robertson stems from the fact he’s Darren Glass’ nephew and the bigoted West Coast haters can’t stand it. He is Rory Sloane 2.0. It’s a no brainer.
Your proposed contention never crossed my mind. It has nothing to do with bias for me. If someone demonstrated to me he is an outright better prospect than the other candidates I could be convinced, otherwise I am not. All I see is about 7 prospects who seem to be rated similar and I like others slightly more.

Also your argument is flawed because the competition already on the list for Stephens, Ash, Flanders etc is just as dire as the inside mids you pot here.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
No way we pick Serong ahead of Stephens imo. Think Cal is most likely right about Robertson dropping. It’ll be 2 of Flanders, Young and Stephens I’d say.

Darcy 2 Fyfe

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Yallingup
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
From the little I've seen I'd rate them about the same. Both high quality characters, but different positions. I see Henry as being more likely to be a star.

I'd have thought being the uncle would be a reason not to push Robertson to move to WC.
[/QUOTE
If we go Robertson he is way too professional to go across town. Plan for successes. First flag is a big drawcard for all the Freo boys from the interviews 8ve heard lately. Draft the boy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you will end up with Stephens & Robertson/Young but wouldn't be surprised if you sneak back in to take Sharp in the early 30s.
That’s the dream draft for me:

Stephens, Robertson, Henry & Sharp.

I’d swap our 2020 first for 2x picks in the 20-30 range to pickup both Sharp and Elijah Taylor.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm unapologetic about wanting class, skills, speed and run this draft... in alignment with JLo's comments about supporting around the spine and on ballers. My dream draft is:

#8 - Hayden Young - half back/mid, best kick in the draft, interceptor, great decision maker, likely versatility
#9 - Dylan Stephens - balanced mid, elite speed, agility and endurance, senior footy experience (inc finals), penetrating kick
#(bid matched) - Liam Henry - fwd/mid, elite skills, speed and agility, poise, versatility
#25-35 (buy back in) - Jeremy Sharp - winger, speedster, versatile, endurance, penetrating kick
#late - Chad Pearson - versatile defender, composure, kicking
Cat B - Isaiah Butters - medium forward, athletic, vertical leap, game winner ;)
Cat B - Leno Thomas - rebounding half back, elite kick, speedster, composure

That's three beautiful kicks to add to the back line depth in Young, Thomas and Pearson.

Two classy users added to the forward line in Henry and Butters.

And two gun wingers in Stephens and Sharp.

Oct 1, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm honestly shocked that people want Robertson after years of watching Fremantle's poor kicking. Freo have notoriously drafted kids with their biggest weakness being their kicking and look how that's turned out. His kicking isn't AFL standard and honestly he kicks exactly like his uncle. Rhys Palmer pick 7 Robertson pick 7? Hopefully we have learned some lessons.

Stephens, Ash or Young + Henry please.

If we pick Young or Ash then no need for Rivers. But if we do pick Robertson I want Freo to make a play for Rivers

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm unapologetic about wanting class, skills, speed and run this draft... in alignment with JLo's comments about supporting around the spine and on ballers. My dream draft is:

#8 - Hayden Young - half back/mid, best kick in the draft, interceptor, great decision maker, likely versatility
#9 - Dylan Stephens - balanced mid, elite speed, agility and endurance, senior footy experience (inc finals), penetrating kick
#(bid matched) - Liam Henry - fwd/mid, elite skills, speed and agility, poise, versatility
#25-35 (buy back in) - Jeremy Sharp - winger, speedster, versatile, endurance, penetrating kick
#late - Chad Pearson - versatile defender, composure, kicking
Cat B - Isaiah Butters - medium forward, athletic, vertical leap, game winner ;)
Cat B - Leno Thomas - rebounding half back, elite kick, speedster, composure

That's three beautiful kicks to add to the back line depth in Young, Thomas and Pearson.

Two classy users added to the forward line in Henry and Butters.

And two gun wingers in Stephens and Sharp.
this sent shivers down my spine.

I don't know much about Pearson but am a huge fan of Pina, is there a reason you chose him over Pina?

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Young has Mundy written all over him as an u18 except maybe with more upside if that is possible.
188cm half back, with an awesome left foot that breaks the lines, has time with the ball and although not rated as super quick his testing says otherwise.
He could be our engineroom - tackles to hurt with attitude - even a bit of Luke Hodge about him.
Composed with ball in hand - really hope he is available.

Robertson - leader and a bull with size, I back our new coaching regime to improve his kicking as it isn’t that bad.
Fyfe replacement in 3 years time who inspires players around him.

Henry- because he is a must - free hit.

Jamieson - because I reckon he is better than Jackson as a ruck long term, has good skills and can take a grab - and the boy is from North Beach.........

Would like Sharp but can’t see us reaching or getting another pick in the 20-30 range. He is the one we may regret not getting the most

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
this sent shivers down my spine.

I don't know much about Pearson but am a huge fan of Pina, is there a reason you chose him over Pina?
Pearson is 193cm and was a big reason for South Freo's improvement this WAFL (League) season. Can play small or tall. Will make Peel better in the short term (as an anchor in defence) and provides much needed depth in case any of our KPDs get injured. And only 21yo so plenty of development left.

We already have Carter and likely have Thomas this year and Walker next year so Pina doesn't fill any gaps now or into the future.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just keep coming back to Robertson. He has worked hard to get to where he is & as much as Joel Selwood gives me the shits as a ducker, his leadership & character is a big reason they’ve had sustained success. I get a Selwood vibe about Robertson.
After that it has to be one of Young, Stephens or Ash, whoever is still available, probably in that order.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Robertson & Young.
Wouldn’t be upset with Robertson & Stephens but think we’d regret not grabbing Young. Wilson & Young off half back would be very nice.

Back