• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really don’t care about the draft that much..didn’t even know when it was happening until today.besides the Brayshaw pickup, 2008 draft & 1999 we’re usually pretty awful at it.

That being said. Surely we pickup Robertson. Wa, a leader and ready made.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don’t care who we take as long as they are rated in the top 15 or so. To me they all have a similar likelihood of making it.

But I will be melting when we take Jay Rantall and Cooper Stephens because they won the yo-yo test. That just seems to be what we think is most important.
haha, your cynicism has been hard earned over the years.

By the way I am a big fan of Cooper Stephens. He has been downgraded due to his leg injury, but he is terrific.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why anyone would want Jackson is beyond me, we have no place for the guy n this team. We have rucks already, he's not a necessity
Because Jackson has already played in a successful team with Henry and Robertson.

The problem with a needs-based strategy using the draft is that AFL lists are becoming increasingly fluid. You're then trying to predict needs in three or four years time given player development time, which (as we've found over the past year or so in particular) can be radically different from the immediate ones.

Last edited:

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Henry wasn't an NGA bid, would Freo fans rate Henry as a better prospect than Robertson?

What are your thoughts on Robertson flying the coup in a year or two. Do you think you will be able to retain him?

Obviously we don't have a draft pick this year that would allow us to draft him. Just wondering if any fans of other clubs are a bit iffy on him because the idea that he might want to play for the eagles in the future.
Fly the coop to go down the road?? You can’t be serious. You know Yeo was a mad dockers fan?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think everyone needs to brace themselves for us not picking the exact players they want today. The popular pick on here hasn't been picked for the past 3 drafts. But... has it really ended up that bad though?

2016 - most wanted SPS (including me) but he wasn't available to us and we got Logue. Hasn't showed his full potential yet but neither have a lot of the picks selected after him (yeah I know English has ;)).

2017 - most wanted UDL and Fogarty (including me) but we got Brayshaw and Cerra. Cerra looked great last year. Brayshaw great this year. UDL has also been better than most on here would like to admit. Fogarty is a talent. I can see all four taking it to another level next year. On reflection I think we made the right choice (sans Naughton perhaps) but time will tell.

2018 - most wanted Ian Hill (including me) but we passed him and got Sturt. Way too early to tell but seeing Sam this pre-season I'm certainly far from disappointed. Everyone wanted more speed and skill in our forward line and we didn't get the exact player we expected but we got someone with that and a bit more height and versatility on top.

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
I think everyone needs to brace themselves for us not picking the exact players they want today. The popular pick on here hasn't been picked for the past 3 drafts. But... has it really ended up that bad though?

2016 - most wanted SPS (including me) but he wasn't available to us and we got Logue. Hasn't showed his full potential yet but neither have a lot of the picks selected after him (yeah I know English has ;)).

2017 - most wanted UDL and Fogarty (including me) but we got Brayshaw and Cerra. Cerra looked great last year. Brayshaw great this year. UDL has also been better than most on here would like to admit. Fogarty is a talent. I can see all four taking it to another level next year. On reflection I think we made the right choice (sans Naughton perhaps) but time will tell.

2018 - most wanted Ian Hill (including me) but we passed him and got Sturt. Way too early to tell but seeing Sam this pre-season I'm certainly far from disappointed. Everyone wanted more speed and skill in our forward line and we didn't get the exact player we expected but we got someone with that and a bit more height and versatility on top.
And don't forget the melts when we picked Hill over Rich a few years back...

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus

I think SPS has been far better than Logue, more of a cream player though who would look twice as good in a decent side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe you have a different definition of A-grade than myself, but I would only rate Whitfield and Coniglio at that level. Walsh looks good. Bennell would have been.

And if you include the previous 20 years, the only other A graders are Hawkins, Murphy and Hasleby.
You're right, wouldn't want to have players at that quality.

Lol, we haven't achieved anything and talk as if we're polishing off a list that's already challenging when it comes to Robertson.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think SPS has been far better than Logue, more of a cream player though who would look twice as good in a decent side
Yeah I agree but he was taken before our pick (the trade down was still worth it overall though). Henry is actually our SPS. I didn't want to jinx getting an early bid but I actually think Liam can be even better.

Yeah I agree but he was taken before our pick (the trade down was still worth it overall though). Henry is actually our SPS. I didn't want to jinx getting an early bid but I actually think Liam can be even better.
I agree, I think Henry will be a superior player in the role they are trying to get SPS to play - I think Sam should be more inside.

Back