Who do you want to take at pick 3?

Who do you realistically want the Swans to draft with pick 3?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression that Phillips first preference would be to go to Hawthorn because it is close to where he lives and least disruptive. But once he moves interstate, I feel he would settle down and try and establish himself in his new team.

In his interviews he talks a lot about how he has missed playing football and how he wanted to establish himself as a leader. So I feel he would enjoy being part of the AFL system, want to gain the respect of his teammates and buy in to the culture of the club.

You are making assumptions about these boys characters. And don't say you weren't and that you were only going off what Phillips said, because you also made a remark about his mum's spaghetti when he mentioned nothing about that. Again with the mummy's boy inference.

You've also failed to acknowledge that in the very same interview where he said he'd prefer to stay in his home state (shocker!), he mentioned he'd spoken to interstate players he knew, like Anderson and McAsey, about playing in a different state and getting advice on how to adjust to that. That would seemingly shoot the 'not-prepared-to-leave-home' theory down, as he's obviously prepared himself for the potential of moving interstate.

Not to mention he's been widely regarded as the best interview of all the prospects, an unlikely consensus to reach if nearly half the clubs in the comp are getting a vibe from him that screams flight risk.

Maybe deep down he doesn't want to play interstate and will have his mind made up even if he ends up in Sydney or the Gold Coast. Or maybe he is trying to get the most desirable outcome for himself while he can, and will very quickly get over any qualms about moving once his name is called and he is officially a Blood, or a Sun, or a Crow. I don't know, you don't know and no one but Phillips can know that for certain. So I think the generalisations about his character, and the wisecracks about his mum's spaghetti are inappropriate.

In any case, I'm not keen on dragging this out, as people will start to think we're talking about Eminem soon.

Gee a lot of text for nothing mate. He said Hawks would be good because it’s 20 mins from his house, hence the loose,cheeky and relevant reference to mummas cooking.

I have only mentioned one player who is the only one I’ve seen drop a number of hints as to his preferences. Whether he mentioned interstate isn’t the point.

Of course he might settle in, but he appears to be projecting what he’d prefer and I don’t think we need to take that risk. And I have ever right to post about it.

Inappropriate? Seriously? Mate this is a forum, I didn’t say anything insulting. I haven’t said anything about his character.
He is the only one I have seen PROJECTING WHAT HE WANTS INTO THE MEDIA. Hence why HE IS THE ONLY ONE BEING MENTIONED BY ME. It has nothing to do with his character. It has everything to do with whether he is a risk to us burning a top pick and it wouldn’t have come up if twice he didn’t say he would prefer to stay in Melbourne and once he said the Hawks would be best fit because it’s closest to his house (mummas spaghetti??). ! I haven’t seen any other player saying this stuff so I am well within my rights to question if he is a risk.

Can’t believe I wasted my time replying to this s**t.

Edit: I’ll add that asking interstate players how they transitioned can also be interpreted as another sign he is concerned about making the move (particularly considering his other comments).

Last edited:

It is beyond stupid on my part since I have no say what so ever but as we are getting closer to the draft I am getting more nervous about the choice between Phillips and DGB. I still feel Phillips but I also feel we would be missing out on a potentially great player by not drafting DGB.
I like it you are coming around RUNVS. btw I would be very happy with Phillips also.

I like it you are coming around RUNVS. btw I would be very happy with Phillips also.

Oddly enough the only 2 I wand in the Fab 5 is Phillips or DGB, all the others have problems.

Hollands - Injury history
McDonald - Just a feeling but I don't think he will be as good as DGB
Tilthorpe - In between player who is not exceptional at anything

To me, and I know many will disagree but I think Phillips and DGB are the standouts of the top 5.

Oddly enough the only 2 I wand in the Fab 5 is Phillips or DGB, all the others have problems.

Hollands - Injury history
McDonald - Just a feeling but I don't think he will be as good as DGB
Tilthorpe - In between player who is not exceptional at anything

To me, and I know many will disagree but I think Phillips and DGB are the standouts of the top 5.
I have prevaricated and thought a lot about a lot and I have come down to 3. McDonald, DGB and Phillips. I know we will get the choice of a least 1 so I'm very happy.

You are making assumptions about these boys characters. And don't say you weren't and that you were only going off what Phillips said, because you also made a remark about his mum's spaghetti when he mentioned nothing about that. Again with the mummy's boy inference.

You've also failed to acknowledge that in the very same interview where he said he'd prefer to stay in his home state (shocker!), he mentioned he'd spoken to interstate players he knew, like Anderson and McAsey, about playing in a different state and getting advice on how to adjust to that. That would seemingly shoot the 'not-prepared-to-leave-home' theory down, as he's obviously prepared himself for the potential of moving interstate.

Not to mention he's been widely regarded as the best interview of all the prospects, an unlikely consensus to reach if nearly half the clubs in the comp are getting a vibe from him that screams flight risk.

Maybe deep down he doesn't want to play interstate and will have his mind made up even if he ends up in Sydney or the Gold Coast. Or maybe he is trying to get the most desirable outcome for himself while he can, and will very quickly get over any qualms about moving once his name is called and he is officially a Blood, or a Sun, or a Crow. I don't know, you don't know and no one but Phillips can know that for certain. So I think the generalisations about his character, and the wisecracks about his mum's spaghetti are inappropriate.

In any case, I'm not keen on dragging this out, as people will start to think we're talking about Eminem soon.

NO!

Gee a lot of text for nothing mate. He said Hawks would be good because it’s 20 mins from his house, hence the loose,cheeky and relevant reference to mummas cooking.

I have only mentioned one player who is the only one I’ve seen drop a number of hints as to his preferences. Whether he mentioned interstate isn’t the point.

Of course he might settle in, but he appears to be projecting what he’d prefer and I don’t think we need to take that risk. And I have ever right to post about it.

Inappropriate? Seriously? Mate this is a forum, I didn’t say anything insulting. I haven’t said anything about his character.
He is the only one I have seen PROJECTING WHAT HE WANTS INTO THE MEDIA. Hence why HE IS THE ONLY ONE BEING MENTIONED BY ME. It has nothing to do with his character. It has everything to do with whether he is a risk to us burning a top pick and it wouldn’t have come up if twice he didn’t say he would prefer to stay in Melbourne and once he said the Hawks would be best fit because it’s closest to his house (mummas spaghetti??). ! I haven’t seen any other player saying this stuff so I am well within my rights to question if he is a risk.

Can’t believe I wasted my time replying to this sh*t.

Edit: I’ll add that asking interstate players how they transitioned can also be interpreted as another sign he is concerned about making the move (particularly considering his other comments).

YES!

Agreed. My rankings in terms of what I want is

1. Phillips
2. DGB
3. McDonald

I would be disappointed if we get Hollands or Tilthorpe.

Only one I’ll be disappointed on is Thilhorpe

The other two I wouldn’t be against us having a small reach are Perkins and Bruhn

Agreed. My rankings in terms of what I want is

1. Phillips
2. DGB
3. McDonald

I would be disappointed if we get Hollands or Tilthorpe.
I'm a little unsure. I think all three will add another dimension to their respective parts of the field. Bic Mac up front. Would be nice to have a true leading forward. Phillips will be dynamic through the midfield, I like his kicking. Its a relaxed finessed boot that goes accurately. DGB will provide another dimension down back (probably releasing Dawson forward). I'd like all three, but I'm greedy.

I will be happy with any of the top 5-6. I trust the club will do their due diligence of any of the concerns that have been raised (including mine about Phillips comments). I trust their decision given they have all the information that we don’t have access to.

I will be happy with any of the top 5-6. I trust the club will do their due diligence of any of the concerns that have been raised (including mine about Phillips comments). I trust their decision given they have all the information that we don’t have access to.

I would trust Darymple with first round picks rarely misses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty simple really Masey.

I want, I want, I want!
In the end WTF do we know over what the club professionals know?

I would trust Darymple with first round picks rarely misses

Just checked and Dalrymple became the Bulldogs national recruiting manager in 2010. In that time these were his first round selections (2010 to 2017)

F/S - Mitchell Wallis (Pick 22)

Clay Smith (Pick 17)

Jake Stringer (Pick 5)
Jackson Macrae (Pick 6)

Marcus Bontempelli (Pick 4)

Tim English (Pick 19)

Aaron Naughton (Pick 9)

Just checked and Dalrymple became the Bulldogs national recruiting manager in 2010. In that time these were his first round selections (2010 to 2017)

F/S - Mitchell Wallis (Pick 22)

Clay Smith (Pick 17)

Jake Stringer (Pick 5)
Jackson Macrae (Pick 6)

Marcus Bontempelli (Pick 4)

Tim English (Pick 19)

Aaron Naughton (Pick 9)
I'm glad we have him. I also have an opinion of who I would like picked in the next draft. But it is only my opinion. That does not matter in 5 days time. I'm very happy to have Dalrymple and Beatson do their stuff. I think we have one of if not the best recruiting teams in the AFL.

I have prevaricated and thought a lot about a lot and I have come down to 3. McDonald, DGB and Phillips. I know we will get the choice of a least 1 so I'm very happy.
You will only be really really happy if one of these three is selected. The sad part for you is that when Beatson names our man, these are not the only options - and if another name is called, your response will be disbelief and astonishment. For what it is worth, I would also like one of these three as these three would be best available in my book. But Beatson has stated that we are chasing a KPF ( I'm thinking either Paddy McCartin and or Riley Thilthorpe.)

You will only be really really happy if one of these three is selected. The sad part for you is that when Beatson names our man, these are not the only options - and if another name is called, your response will be disbelief and astonishment. For what it is worth, I would also like one of these three as these three would be best available in my book. But Beatson has stated that we are chasing a KPF ( I'm thinking either Paddy McCartin and or Riley Thilthorpe.)
Not disbelief and astonishment. I will just work out why they selected that player and probably learn something along the way.

Not disbelief and astonishment. I will just work out why they selected that player and probably learn something along the way.
I would hope that I too might follow your very well chosen path of reaction. I am willing to accept why Beatson has announced the Club's intention to seek a KPF. I am hoping that choosing Paddy McCartin as a rookie provides the truth for Kinnear's words and that our first round selection is either of Phillips, DGB or McDonald. Then I would be very happy. But like you I shall welcome whoever is named and try to accept and understand the professional reasoning ( compared to my amateur ponderings ) Forgive me for ascribing astonishment and disbelief to you, when I was probably voicing my own potential reaction.

I would hope that I too might follow your very well chosen path of reaction. I am willing to accept why Beatson has announced the Club's intention to seek a KPF. I am hoping that choosing Paddy McCartin as a rookie provides the truth for Kinnear's words and that our first round selection is either of Phillips, DGB or McDonald. Then I would be very happy. But like you I shall welcome whoever is named and try to accept and understand the professional reasoning ( compared to my amateur ponderings ) Forgive me for ascribing astonishment and disbelief to you, when I was probably voicing my own potential reaction.
hehe. No worries at all. Understanding what is going on is a journey.

The worst part about who we pick is that we are going to hear for ages about why should've we picked the other bloke lol.

A bit like how much we've heard of Serong.

The worst part about who we pick is that we are going to hear for ages about why should've we picked the other bloke lol.

A bit like how much we've heard of Serong.

Was never too worried about Serong as while he was good this year I feel like Stephens has a higher ceiling.

With Phillips and DGB though they are very different, and I feel like both have a high ceiling but I honestly have no idea which one will end up better.

Was never too worried about Serong as while he was good this year I feel like Stephens has a higher ceiling.

With Phillips and DGB though they are very different, and I feel like both have a high ceiling but I honestly have no idea which one will end up better.

Im just not seeing it with Phillips. I get that he plays hard and gets plenty of the football, but everything after that looks pretty mediocre to me.

I sorta agree. I love the prospect of Phillips and DGB, but I have a feeling whoever we take we won't hear the end about the other bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back