Who do you want to take at pick 3?

Who do you realistically want the Swans to draft with pick 3?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is top class in heavy traffic though and that is what we desperately need. We don't need him to have the abilities of an outside mid.

Is he though? I'm not sure.

Classy isn't the word I think when watching him. Busy, maybe.

Hollands however ...

Last edited:

I'm keen to get the new LRT into the team. We've been missing the triple name and both our premiership teams had one.

DGB may seem a bit surplus to requirements but who's to say he couldn't be a key forward in the making or that he and Mccartin couldn't play as swingmen and give flexibility to both ends of the ground.

Personally I'd take him at pick 1. He towelled up Mcdonald, he's got no major injury concerns, he isn't a whinging Vic, and most importantly he could be the new LRT!

I just watched the highlights of DGB, Phillips and Hollands. It is no comparison. Hollands is head and shoulders better.
You can't make that call from a 5 minutes highlights package, particularly when Hollands hasn't played in over a year due to a serious knee injury and so all of those highlights are from 2019.

Last edited:
You can't make that call from a 5 minutes highlights package, particularly when Hollands hasn't played in over a year due to a serious knee injury and so all of those highlights are from 2018.

I think his highlights are from 2019 as he missed the entire 2020 season with a knee injury, but there was no football played in Victoria so he didn't miss any football.

I just watched the highlights of DGB, Phillips and Hollands. It is no comparison. Hollands is head and shoulders better.
I think the general consensus is that if he didn't do his ACL he would be up for the top spot.

I don't know if he's worth pick 3 with that injury. We can see how hard its been for Ling, he didn't even have injury issues before and many were crying bust. Can only imagine if he does another ACL.

Def one of the best though.

You can't make that call from a 5 minutes highlights package, particularly when Hollands hasn't played in over a year due to a serious knee injury and so all of those highlights are from 2019.
Yes I can. His highlights are much better then those of the other two. If the packages show the best of each player then Hollands is best.

Yes I can. His highlights are much better then those of the other two. If the packages show the best of each player then Hollands is best.
Firstly, that is a big if.

Secondly, even if it was, you can not judge a player purely on a highlights package. How consistently they can do well and how will they do unspectacular things that won't make a highlights reel are just as important as their peak performance.

Thirdly, performance at under age level is not directly proportional to a players scope for future development. You draft not just for who is the best player when they are 18 but who you think most likely to have the best overall career. There are factors in play here that a highlights reel can not show you.

Anyone that thinks they can make informed decisions about draftees based on five minutes of edited clips is deluded.

Firstly, that is a big if.

Secondly, even if it was, you can not judge a player purely on a highlights package. How consistently they can do well and how will they do unspectacular things that won't make a highlights reel are just as important as their peak performance.

Thirdly, performance at under age level is not directly proportional to a players scope for future development. You draft not just for who is the best player when they are 18 but who you think most likely to have the best overall career. There are factors in play here that a highlights reel can not show you.

Anyone that thinks they can make informed decisions about draftees based on five minutes of edited clips is deluded.
I guess there is just no way anyone will ever know who is better, then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess there is just no way anyone will ever know who is better, then.
Why do you guess that? Do you think that's all that AFL recruiters base their decisions on, five minute highlight reels?

There is no way any of us who are not working as scouts and have followed these players for multiple seasons, interviewed the players, their coaches, had access to their testing data etc. can have an informed opinion on who of these players is better.

And even those that do have access to all that information will not know for sure how good that call was for another five to ten years.

Before that point anyone expressing anything with any certainty is doing so without justification.

There are full games online. You can watch the U17 v NZ on youtube. They are all playing together and decide who you think is the best. Hollands looks a class above Phillips to me.

I personally hope we take whoever is available out of McDonald, Hollands, Thilthorpe.

I watched entire WAFL games with DGB - forget highlights, he is a 4 quarter gun.

None of us have ever seen Hollands, apart from a few under-age snippets.

If highlights were what mattered, Gary Rohan would be a champion.

I watched entire WAFL games with DGB - forget highlights, he is a 4 quarter gun.

None of us have ever seen Hollands, apart from a few under-age snippets.

If highlights were what mattered, Gary Rohan would be a champion.

Actually I remember watching Gary Rohan's under 18's highlights video and not being impressed as every disposal he had seemed to go directly to the opposition.

Excited, hopefully in a few days we wont have DBG and can stop hearing how a defender is the 2nd coming of the Messiah.
You know that if he's playing under horse he won't be put solely in the position he's drafted in perhaps not even at all. Callum Mills is a perfect example of a player drafted as a midfielder who ended up playing exclusively in defense. What's to say that we aren't recruiting him with the intention of making him a key forward or at least the capacity to play as one.

We'll see, Christmas will come early one way or another. Ive never seen so much excitment for a defender ever haha.

I will preface this by saying I still very much want Phillips as my number 1 option but in the modern game an intercepting defender who is also good at locking down his opponent can be worth a couple of goals a game, not just in stopping his opponent but also setting up attacking plays from defence. Long gone are the days where a defender is just there to play a negating role. They are also important in setting up a teams attack as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back