Who do you want to take at pick 3?

Who do you realistically want the Swans to draft with pick 3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
If the "well" part isn't a requirement I am available. I mean I may only be 174cm, I definitely can't kick, can't really mark either, was an okay runner when I was 16 but am now 32 and definitely not an okay runner anymore and I am built a bit like Lewis Jetta in year one but with a stomach that is slightly less flat.

I could technically play AFL in the same way a shetland pony could technically compete in the Melbourne Cup.
Two years ago I goal umpired. At 66 then that was plenty exhausting enough!

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Seen multiple phantom drafts and mentions of DBG, seems a total waste to me. Match winner at 3 not a gsme minimise damage agsinst us player.

Actions like this win matches just as much as kicking goals.

At pick three you take the best player available. If the recruiters see Grainger-Barass as the third best player in the draft, they should by all means take him.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Defence wins premierships

Yes and no. A good defence definitely helps a lot but in recent years the teams that can kick 90+ points are the teams that do well come finals. Defence is important, but if you can only average 70 points a match you are not going to be winning many games, and if you do stumble into the finals you won't be going very far.

A proper midfield would help our defence as well, as while it is a massive cliche it is true that the best defence is a good offence. If the midfield can actually win the contest against the oppositions midfield then the ball will be in our defence a lot less often.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes and no. A good defence definitely helps a lot but in recent years the teams that can kick 90+ points are the teams that do well come finals. Defence is important, but if you can only average 70 points a match you are not going to be winning many games, and if you do stumble into the finals you won't be going very far.

A proper midfield would help our defence as well, as while it is a massive cliche it is true that the best defence is a good offence. If the midfield can actually win the contest against the oppositions midfield then the ball will be in our defence a lot less often.
Both Horse & Bomber Thompson have said that their best teams were built from the back. When Geelong was considered this great attaching machine it was due to the strong work they did in defence.

My preference is Phillips but if we pick DGB I'll be pretty happy too

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Both Horse & Bomber Thompson have said that their best teams were built from the back. When Geelong was considered this great attaching machine it was due to the strong work they did in defence.

My preference is Phillips but if we pick DGB I'll be pretty happy too

I am in the same boat. I want Phillips mostly because I feel we desperately need an inside midfielder and Phillips looks very talented, but DGB is just as talented, he just plays a position that I feel is not quite as important for us to fill at the moment.

Yes you are, if your great defence have kept every other team to an average of 68 against you.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes you are, if your great defence have kept every other team to an average of 68 against you.

That was our problem a few years ago. We could contain the bottom 14 teams with our amazing defence and our amazing defence made up for our rather questable attacking gameplan, but the moment we played against teams that are really good at attacking, and our defence had more problems we were stuffed, as suddenly we needed to kick bigger scores to win and we couldn't do it.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
That was our problem a few years ago. We could contain the bottom 14 teams with our amazing defence and our amazing defence made up for our rather questable attacking gameplan, but the moment we played against teams that are really good at attacking, and our defence had more problems we were stuffed, as suddenly we needed to kick bigger scores to win and we couldn't do it.
That is so very true, Hawks. GWS, Bulldogs used to beat us with speed and handled us with relative ease.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If the "well" part isn't a requirement I am available. I mean I may only be 174cm, I definitely can't kick, can't really mark either, was an okay runner when I was 16 but am now 32 and definitely not an okay runner anymore and I am built a bit like Lewis Jetta in year one but with a stomach that is slightly less flat.

I could technically play AFL in the same way a shetland pony could technically compete in the Melbourne Cup.
Having the correct number of legs is always a good starting point. I'm 186cm but my teenage boys are going past me. The older one's an elite athlete. Both are very good soccer and rugby players. Ask Harley to send over a couple of fat contracts. They're worth a punt and fitter than Daniher.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Actions like this win matches just as much as kicking goals.

At pick three you take the best player available. If the recruiters see Grainger-Barass as the third best player in the draft, they should by all means take him.

Leo's kick was too easily marked by Cox and too many Swans went to ground in the subsequent marking contest. Damn lucky WC didn't score.

Last edited:

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Seen multiple phantom drafts and mentions of DBG, seems a total waste to me. Match winner at 3 not a gsme minimise damage agsinst us player.
Rampe was a match-winner a fair few times.

I remember when we player Richmond back in 2015-2016 when they had a one-point comeback, Rance was a match winner.

Leo Barry was a match-winner.

Naughton, Day, and Balta are all looking like match-winners.

I don't mind the "DGB isn't good enough for our pick" or the "We have a lot of defenders anyway", but I think saying a defender isn't a match-winner is kinda silly.
And if you're saying that DGB isn't a match-winner, fair enough, but I think he will be.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Could you try to be a little more miserable about one of the greatest moments in the club's history?
Ha. Not being miserable but I was there and it was pretty bloody hard to sit through. I was shouting at Barry for kicking it to Cox then when Cox kicked it back and I saw every Swan going for the mark I started to swear and.... then a miracle occurred. Besides, after sitting through the Nick Davis game just weeks before, then my wife gave birth 5 days before the GF. My ticker was a bit stressed. Does it help that I named my son Leo Ustar* ?

(* I didn't)

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Last year we seemed to be more discreet with who we were interested in. Even the media were not certain we wanted to select Stephens with pick 5.

The draft is still a few weeks away. We might be leaning towards a particular player but still be open minded.
Do you suggest that the media put in a question mark with who Sydney's likely to pick at 3? Of course they are going to suggest a player. But that player is simply who they THINK we will select. There's not necessarily any leak going on as you put it.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Rampe was a match-winner a fair few times.

I remember when we player Richmond back in 2015-2016 when they had a one-point comeback, Rance was a match winner.

Leo Barry was a match-winner.

Naughton, Day, and Balta are all looking like match-winners.

I don't mind the "DGB isn't good enough for our pick" or the "We have a lot of defenders anyway", but I think saying a defender isn't a match-winner is kinda silly.
And if you're saying that DGB isn't a match-winner, fair enough, but I think he will be.
Fair enough, I think in our current team which suffers repeat entries, I dont think he'll be a match winner for us. Our side needs to reduce the number of D50 entries.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
My mum is 62 years old and 155cm. She might not be the best choice.

I don't watch football with her as she yells at the TV for the players to jump higher. The Swans would be an amazing team if, according to her, each of our players were able to jump a little higher.

Can she bring the ball to ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney’s top five pick is likely to come down to one of Phillips or Grainger-Barras, with interest in an inside midfielder growing, rather than the taller options. That of course brings Phillips to the fore, a 180cm ball winner who cut his teeth alongside Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson in Oakleigh’s 2019 premiership side.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney’s top five pick is likely to come down to one of Phillips or Grainger-Barras, with interest in an inside midfielder growing, rather than the taller options. That of course brings Phillips to the fore, a 180cm ball winner who cut his teeth alongside Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson in Oakleigh’s 2019 premiership side.

Reckon GC really hope Phillips slides to them to end up with the three Oakleigh boys. Ready made team.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

Purely going by what I’ve read on here Phillips could be a big part of making our midfield scary again.

Can someone post his highlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back