Who do you want to take at pick 3?

Who do you realistically want the Swans to draft with pick 3?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I was keen on DGB but after a poster tagged me and said would rather win the ball, it’s really swayed me.
Also the fact he’s a twig is really bad news.

McDonald or a Mid all the way.

I'll take a crack at what I think will actually happen, early on at least.
Pick 1 Adelaide will take the local lad Thilthorpe. They need something for their supporters.
Pick 2 North will take McDonald. They need a KPF to go with Larkey.
Pick 3 Sydney will call JUH, Dogs will match. They are committed to him.
Pick 4 Sydney will take Phillips
Pick 5 Hawthorn will take Hollands
Pick 6 Gold Coast will take Bruhn
Pick 7 Essendon will take DGB (or vv with GC)
Pick 8 Essendon will call Campbell. Sydney will match.
No idea after that.
It is hypothetical after all.

My preference is

Macdonald
Phillips
Thilthorpe
Hollands
Denver Grainger etcetera.

I worry we are gonna take tanner bruhn

Last edited:
My preference is

Macdonald
Phillips
Thilthorpe
Hollands
Denver Grainger etcetera.

I worry we are gonna take tanner bruhn

I'd rather take the punt on Tanner Bruhn than take thilhorpe at least!

Actually think we won't anyway, think we can get two of these players.

Pick 3 (whoever), preference is McDonald, but Hollands/DGB/Phillips whatever.
Campbell bid (match)
Trade future first to GCS live. Take whoever is left out of the top bracket this season.
Match Gulden or don't, not fussed- should be a price point here.

Reckon Thilthorpe will end up a really solid player tbh. Not many 17 year old talls finish in the bests in an adult competition about as often as not.

I just think Bruhn is more injured and less compelling, and more similar to our other young kids than Hollands and Phillips. I'd understand the logic of "it's hard to get really athletic talls" but "it's hard to find promising general midfielders with an injury cloud" just isn't as true!

Don't think the GC swapping is gonna happen. We rate Gulden and it's worth keeping academy kids together for the relationships etc.
I'd rather take the punt on Tanner Bruhn than take thilhorpe at least!

Actually think we won't anyway, think we can get two of these players.

Pick 3 (whoever), preference is McDonald, but Hollands/DGB/Phillips whatever.
Campbell bid (match)
Trade future first to GCS live. Take whoever is left out of the top bracket this season.
Match Gulden or don't, not fussed- should be a price point here.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

i may be wrong here but we dont have much of a history taking talls in the first round. This may be because we havent had high picks until recent years, but it seems like the swans strategy is to go for mids at the high end of the draft and then just try poach key position players (plugger, hall, tippett, franklin). we've also had a lot of luck with drafting defenders lower down the order. I'm not saying this is the correct strategy but it did get us 2 premierships. If you look at the recent drafts, so many KPDs and KPFs dont turn out they way you hope with a few exceptions.

Phillips pick 3 then do the trade with Gold Coast for next years first for DGB. That would be a coup as long as we finish high next year.

Phillips pick 3 then do the trade with Gold Coast for next years first for DGB. That would be a coup as long as we finish high next year.

Yep or the other way take DGB, Hope Phillips slides to 6.

Why do gc want to trade there first this year ?

I guess they are already getting a free hit with the pre listing of Alex Davies who would be worth a high pick in the open market. They could flip their top pick for one next year and they are still getting a first in anyway.

Pure fantasy. if anything GC would be looking at this and next year being the last drafts they go hard for because they now have an amazing core to build around between lukosious King Rankine Rowell and Anderson. They would trade up if it meant securing Phillips because of his history with Anderson and Rowell, but I'd rather get Phillips than not. The only trade I would consider our first and next year's second for thier 1st and future 1st.

I think it's short term thinking too. Depending on injuries etc we could end up with finish between like, 16 and 8. It looks like it could well be a pretty solid draft next year too and will likely be our last year really looking at bringing in young talent. I don't think it's a good idea to burn through next year's draft currency on players we can't assess as well as usual.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be on the preface that 2021 will be a stronger year. It is already rumoured to be and with a lot of kids who are not drafted this year going around again in what will be an under 19 comp next year there thinking will be two first rounders next year might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It would be on the preface that 2021 will be a stronger year. It is already rumoured to be and with a lot of kids who are not drafted this year going around again in what will be an under 19 comp next year there thinking will be two first rounders next year might be better.

I think the 2021 draft being better is highly speculative. There will be some 2020 that fall through as they would have developed this year but I imagine the cream of the crop will still be taken this year. For 2021, you’ll have the balance of who wasn’t taken plus a group of players who never got to play/develop in their underage (17) year.

As I’ve noted elsewhere I’d be looking to the Suns or Bombers to see if we can trade our 2021 1st for one of theirs (only one in Suns case)

It seems with the latest delistings that we may have the playing space to do this now?

I think the 2021 draft being better is highly speculative. There will be some 2020 that fall through as they would have developed this year but I imagine the cream of the crop will still be taken this year. For 2021, you’ll have the balance of who wasn’t taken plus a group of players who never got to play/develop in their underage (17) year.

As I’ve noted elsewhere I’d be looking to the Suns or Bombers to see if we can trade our 2021 1st for one of theirs (only one in Suns case)

It seems with the latest delistings that we may have the playing space to do this now?
By my reckoning we have three spare slots having drafted 3, Campbell and Gulden. My hope is Paddy McCartin, a young ruck (rookie list) plus one more rookie, assuming 37 senior and 7 rookies.
Also assuming Elijah Taylor remains on our list somehow and Naismith doesn't retire.

By my reckoning we have three spare slots having drafted 3, Campbell and Gulden. My hope is Paddy McCartin, a young ruck (rookie list) plus one more rookie, assuming 37 senior and 7 rookies.
Also assuming Elijah Taylor remains on our list somehow and Naismith doesn't retire.

This new rule would allow us to move Naismith to the rookie list too wouldn’t it?

So I’d do this:

38 senior list
Pick 3
Campbell
Trade in pick top 10 (for 2021 1st)
Gulden
Young Ruck

McCartin (rookie list)

You can alternate the ruck and McCartin probably (senior vs rookie list). Or you could move Naismith to the rookie list as well (and not take any in the draft add both young ruck and McCartin to senior list).

In a weak draft due to little football I wouldn’t be loading up on rookies, not sure if the club agrees.

So I’d do this:

38 senior list
Pick 3
Campbell
Trade in pick top 10 (for 2021 1st)
Gulden
Young Ruck

McCartin (rookie list)

You can alternate the ruck and McCartin probably (senior vs rookie list). Or you could move Naismith to the rookie list as well (and not take any in the draft add both young ruck and McCartin to senior list).

In a weak draft due to little football I wouldn’t be loading up on rookies, not sure if the club agrees.
I think all clubs will run with 37 and 7 as that has the best impact on salary cap exemptions.
I believe we will take Paddy as a senior DLFA UNLESS we go for a one year contract.
If we do, that will take us to 34 seniors, unless we rookie someone else whose contract only has a year left, like Gray.
Then we have 3 senior slots for #3, Campbell and Gulden and two rookie slots for any two of:
Young Ruck
Academy kid
Will Papley
Something else entirely, including leaving empty for a train on player.

Apparently you can move two players from the main list to the rookie list. So the likes of Naismith/E Taylor could be moved.

It’s not exactly just moving them.

They will have to be delisted (which still has all of the issues for the TPP if they are contracted) but they will just be rookie listed without having to go through the rookie draft.

It’s not exactly just moving them.

They will have to be delisted (which still has all of the issues for the TPP if they are contracted) but they will just be rookie listed without having to go through the rookie draft.

According to the AFL website “Each club will be permitted to move two players straight from the senior to rookie list for next season after new list constraints and a nine per cent salary cap reduction was confirmed last week.”

According to the AFL website “Each club will be permitted to move two players straight from the senior to rookie list for next season after new list constraints and a nine per cent salary cap reduction was confirmed last week.”

That does help, you'd assume Naismith is one, who knows on the other one, Gray the obvious pending ET's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back