Opinion Who don't you see playing in our next premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you recall KT discussing the change of direction the club took, leading to Ken accepting, and then KT alluding to the expected success by 2024?

I remember the change of attitude post 2018 after we went from 11-4 to 12-10. Dixon dislocated/broke his ankle in game v WCE loss after the siren game where Ryder also came off before 3/4 time and Houston went off concussed in the 3rd quarter, and we were done to 19 fit players. The mental disintegration after being in front all day and losing saw us then lose last 2 games easily, and club said this group isn't good enough to win us a flag. If we had of hung on against WCE we would have played finals.

I don't recall any year being put on it. The talk in early 2019 started about building an U/23 squad and KT confirmed that at the October 2019 big footy focus group I attend, when he talked about building the best U/23 squad possible, and it confirmed my thoughts that 2025-27 is our next window, unless there are really big changes.

Not saying there isn't scope for his position to change and include sanfl, and it kind of sounds like he left it open, but he meant AFL.
It was deliberately left open. It was there in the slide tribey put up.

2025-27 in the eyes of you REH and you might be right but there's no way in hell they think that, fck me plug in after two failed prelims in a row what are we killing time here until our current youth are mid 20's? you may as well gut it.

Its not hard to see Robbie and Boak missing out. Rob in particular doesn't look to have a heap amount of opportunities left, potentially next year being his last and the muppet will still be senior coach next year which hurts his chances. Hinkley will probably until end of his contract to be honest given we clearly can't afford to pay him out.

We've got a list that is probably good enough, but there's no denying another A grader would definitely help things out so hopefully we can put our first pick on the table and bring a young mid in.

Things can turn around very very quickly, and with a new coach that could happen immediately but unfortunately we are probably stuck with stinkley until the

Going ahead Boak and Gray should start making exit plans the need for speed these days is a must and to see Port as slow as we have seen them is disturbing.
tough call but they need to step aside along with a few others who are treading water.

Of the less obvious ones Lycett I can't see part of it. He's bog average (at best) and is preventing playing Hayes, who may be more than bog average. We aren't going to get 3 or 4 blue chip midfielders to go the Bulldogs route of 'What is a ruckman?' (which failed at the final hurdle anyway), so we need a ruck who can feed our midfield consistently. Playing Hayes in 2022 as first ruck may cost us games we'd win with Lycett as first ruck, but if we want a flag, not more Ken mediocrity medium/long term we have to wear that. Ken will be in full survival mode, so unless Lycett, Ladhams AND Dixon are all injured, we have to pray he's gone end of next year and the new coach convinces a pissed off Hayes to stay with us.

i guess i could imagine a world where guys like Lachie Jones are 32 and we make a GF. can't even really imagine the likes of Wines, Amon, Butters, Rozee on GF day under the way things are.

Twelve months ago would you consider these players to be mentally and physically dominant...

Neal-Bullen
Spargo
Fritsch
Rivers
Petty
Sparrow

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem all absolutely Shat the bed against West Coast only 3 seasons ago...

Gee its a good thing Melbourne didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater after that season....
Melbourne don't have a moron for a coach, do you think if Clarkson was at Port that Wingard would be gone. That's the thing, our coach and the people running our club are allowing mental weakness to be tolerated, so when a player has been in that environment too long it has detrimental effects on his approach to his footy. People want to know what went wrong in the Prelim, there it is, not mentally disaplined enough. We also have a slow midfield, we need more skill and speed.
Imo this group will not win a grand final, let alone qualify for one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q. Who don't you see playing in our next premiership?
A. Any player playing on the other team.

Unfortunately based on the most recent Prelim loss the same probably can't be said of our own players.

Melbourne don't have a moron for a coach, do you think if Clarkson was at Port that Wingard would be gone. That's the thing, our coach and the people running our club are allowing mental weakness to be tolerated, so when a player has been in that environment too long it has detrimental effects on his approach to his footy. People want to know what went wrong in the Prelim, there it is, not mentally disaplined enough. We also have a slow midfield, we need more skill and speed.
Imo this group will not win a grand final, let alone qualify for one.
Melbourne finished 17th 2 seasons ago with 5 wins... They also came off an absolute smashing in a final as bad if not worse than our effort... Every one of those players I mentioned would have been considered soft and mentally weak. Go back two years and there I bet you would find people saying the exact same thing about Melbourne.

Melbourne finished 17th 2 seasons ago with 5 wins... They also came off an absolute smashing in a final as bad if not worse than our effort... Every one of those players I mentioned would have been considered soft and mentally weak. Go back two years and there I bet you would find people saying the exact same thing about Melbourne.
Those players you mentioned have been taught to handle pressure by this guy, something we lack at Port, that's why our players wont reach the level required to win a flag imo.

Williams.jpg
Head of development.

I don't think this is a valid comparison.

Melbourne reached the 2018 PF after finishing 5th. They played an away PF interstate against the 2nd place team that had won the QF and earned a week off. They were heavy underdogs, they were expected to lose and they did lose. In that context, they were not soft and mentally weak for losing that game.

Our scenario this year was virtually identical, with the crucial difference that we were the 2nd place team with the week off and coming up against the 5th place team who were travelling interstate. We were the heavy favourites, we were expected to win and we got smashed.

To say that somehow Melbourne's loss in 2018 was worse than ours this year is just plain wrong in my view. Given the context, our loss was infinitely worse.

I don't think this is a valid comparison.

Melbourne reached the 2018 PF after finishing 5th. They played an away PF interstate against the 2nd place team that had won the QF and earned a week off. They were heavy underdogs, they were expected to lose and they did lose. In that context, they were not soft and mentally weak for losing that game.

Our scenario this year was virtually identical, with the crucial difference that we were the 2nd place team with the week off and coming up against the 5th place team who were travelling interstate. We were the heavy favourites, we were expected to win and we got smashed.

To say that somehow Melbourne's loss in 2018 was worse than ours this year is just plain wrong in my view. Given the context, our loss was infinitely worse.

Not to mention 2018 was the first time Melbourne had played finals in 12 years.

Prior to the prelim against the Bulldogs, it had been less than 11 months since our previous home prelim choke.

Mental weakness and choking is in the very DNA of this football club.

I remember the change of attitude post 2018 after we went from 11-4 to 12-10. Dixon dislocated/broke his ankle in game v WCE loss after the siren game where Ryder also came off before 3/4 time and Houston went off concussed in the 3rd quarter, and we were done to 19 fit players. The mental disintegration after being in front all day and losing saw us then lose last 2 games easily, and club said this group isn't good enough to win us a flag. If we had of hung on against WCE we would have played finals.

I don't recall any year being put on it. The talk in early 2019 started about building an U/23 squad and KT confirmed that at the October 2019 big footy focus group I attend, when he talked about building the best U/23 squad possible, and it confirmed my thoughts that 2025-27 is our next window, unless there are really big changes.

It was deliberately left open. It was there in the slide tribey put up.
I remember the public conversations by the club post this "decision and supposed meeting" particularly from Hinkley in 2018 and 2019. "This is a different team. You can't judge it the same". It was like he had removed himself from all responsibility and "it's the team". The fact is we bombed again and again with the same dullard coach. How the Board, CEO and CD accept this horsesh*t is beyond mind-blowing.

Last edited:
Not at all convinced on those writing off the cannon. He is 29 now. A defender like him can play to 32.

Assuming we burn 2022, get another coach in 2023, we could potentially compete again in 2024 onwards, when he is 31. Could absolutely be there as a depth defender.

Agree with everyone else being written off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back