Who else feels impartial to the AFL these days?

Remove this Banner Ad

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
All these trades and free agency...it's kind of killing my passion for the game a bit.

Players, average ones at that, requesting trades left, right and centre. Joel Hamling has just won a premiership and he wants to head to a team that finished 16th because it's home?

It's too Americanized/European Soccer like. Constant trades, no loyalty. That's one thing I used to love about our game - more loyalty than most other sports. Not anymore.

I follow NBA, cricket, European soccer, and it's hard to pick a team because they have new players every five seasons. I follow the OKC Thunder and Durant still has me bitter inside.

Anyone else not a fan of how the AFL off season is these days?

I have no problem with players requesting trades to be closer to sick family members. The whole homesickness thing pisses me off though... They know what they are getting into when they sign contracts. Saying that, if any of the gun WA players at the Suns want to come home due to "homesickness" then i'm all for it :sunglasses:

I like the player movement. I don't think we'll ever get to as many trades as the USA and Soccer codes but it's there to encourage list rejuvenation being quicker process than the old 5 years of the draft that was then go at the end of the 90s.

I have no problem with Hamling leaving. He won his flag, is likely getting paid peanuts and was barely cemented in the back line by round 23 if it wasn't for injuries during the year. He's got an offer from Fremantle, who'd be offering more coin, opportunity and job security than Doggies would be. Why shouldn't he go and get paid. Not many players win a Premiership and are able to set themselves up for life.

Not me.

Its a changing World out there and we need to keep up with and become innovators at taking advantage of the system. Free Agency in particular is the new frontier. Although you have to wonder how long it will be sustainable under its current rules. It's becoming less and less likely that players will be playing at one club for more than the current minimum 8 years.

I'm ok with the trades and movements. Allows for list rejuvenation and turnover without the longer periods of being in the rebuilding phase.

My only issue is making sure the system is an even playing field because at the moment I feel the Melbourne clubs have a huge advantage in attracting players, via trade or FA.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You say Americanized. Americanizing would be removing the players choice entirely. If a team wants to trade a player they do it without the player even having a say. Honestly id be all for that, players sign a contract and they are then at the clubs mercy which is the way it should be.

Hate the fact that the grand final is at the MCG every year. * the ppl who scream 'tradition!!'. Also hate the fact that the comp is so Vic centric. Hate the double standards (Essendon getting help from the AFL for their PED scandal yet we were threatened with sanctions for a few of ours doing coke).

Hate the special rounds. This may not be politically correct to say it but I'm going to any way.

Multi cultural, indigenous, gay round etc etc.

Stay out of politics. What's next? Religious round?? Animal rights round??

I have no problem with women's round, they do so much for footy they needs to be honoured but it's sports so stay the * out of political issues and leave that to the political and fringe groups to fight over.

Just want to watch football, is that too much to ask??

Hate the special rounds. This may not be politically correct to say it but I'm going to any way.

I have no problem with women's round, they do so much for footy they needs to be honoured but it's sports so stay the **** out of political issues and leave that to the political and fringe groups to fight over.

Indigenous people don't as well?

The themed rounds barely impact the experience of watching the games tbh. Not a huge deal.

Indigenous people don't as well?

The themed rounds barely impact the experience of watching the games tbh. Not a huge deal.

Never said that.

And the political argument starts.

I say something positive about women and you get a negative about another issue out of it?

Its football...we are all meant to be equal Australians aren't we?

Never said that.

I say so.ething positive about women and you get a negative about another issue out of it?

I agree with you that women deserve a round because they play a large role in footy. I just thought you meant that Indigenous people didn't, because you stated you didn't like they have a round dedicated to them.

We aren't all equal, that's pretty obvious.

Yep, couldn't care less about free agency, just give me a 17 round AFL season, and a grand final played in the home state of the highest positioned qualifying team.

If we need more games to keep the tv broadcasters happy. Throw in a 3 way state of origin competition mixed in across the season, between WA, SA and the Vic's where we play each other once and the winner on games/aggregate score can take out the Teddy Whitten Trophy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no problem with women's round, they do so much for footy they needs to be honoured but it's sports so stay the **** out of political issues and leave that to the political and fringe groups to fight over.

These aren't really political issues but more societal issues. Football is a large part of society in Australia and with the AFL having such a massive audience it should use that to serve larger issues than just football. The different themed rounds don't change the way the game is played or impact the game at all, so if all you want to do is watch football then you can do that and just not watch the other media to do with the particular round. IMO I don't think the AFL should be criticised for trying to effect positive social change.

Much like ep2006 I am 'impartial' to our game as it is still so Victoran centric.
Although we have been the AFL for 26 years now, the game still feels controlled by the VFL and it sucks!
Any non VFL team are made to feel like outsiders and I cant see this changing in the near future.
The problem? Half the AFL teams are victorian, Grand final still played at the MCG and Cameron Ling still hasnt lost his ginger

These aren't really political issues but more societal issues. Football is a large part of society in Australia and with the AFL having such a massive audience it should use that to serve larger issues than just football. The different themed rounds don't change the way the game is played or impact the game at all, so if all you want to do is watch football then you can do that and just not watch the other media to do with the particular round. IMO I don't think the AFL should be criticised for trying to effect positive social change.

And therein lies the issue.

It's not up to the afl to effect social change. That's a social issue and political one. Football is football. Not sure where the afl decided it was a force for pushing agendas.
I have no problems introducing anti racial/ gay vilification rules and policies etc

But I think that's enough because these rounds become political even if the intention is right and open up potential divisiveness. The Adam goodes issue being one of them along with the spear throwing etc.
It's just asking for trouble in my opinion.
The gay issue has the potential to turn ugly as well. There is a lot of anti gay sentiment in the community and it's best left to other political forums to address it.
I come from an ethnic background and the multicultural round really doesn't mean anything to me as the the great feature of our game is anybody can play regardless of race background etc as we are all Australians playing our great game.

Let's just play football and leave these issues out of it I reckon.

I don't want to derail the thread and turn it into a s**t fight so I'll leave it at that.

Never said that.

And the political argument starts.

I say something positive about women and you get a negative about another issue out of it?

Firstly, who said you can pick and choose.

Secondly, you started the political whingefest.

The AFL have recognition rounds, it is a positive thing.

It's not up to the afl to effect social change. That's a social issue and political one.
The AFL operates within society, it also has ethical responsibilities. Being an advocate is simply and extension of that. The are well within their rights to promote certain values.

It's not up to the afl to effect social change. That's a social issue and political one. Football is football. Not sure where the afl decided it was a force for pushing agendas.
I have no problems introducing anti racial/ gay vilification rules and policies etc

But I think that's enough because these rounds become political even if the intention is right and open up potential divisiveness. The Adam goodes issue being one of them along with the spear throwing etc.
It's just asking for trouble in my opinion.
The gay issue has the potential to turn ugly as well. There is a lot of anti gay sentiment in the community and it's best left to other political forums to address it.
I come from an ethnic background and the multicultural round really doesn't mean anything to me as the the great feature of our game is anybody can play regardless of race background etc as we are all Australians playing our great game.

Let's just play football and leave these issues out of it I reckon.

I don't want to derail the thread and turn it into a s**t fight so I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't say they are trying to push an agenda as such but more to try and make the game more inclusive for minority groups. Its not the AFL has come out to be an advocate of gay marriage, just making a statement that the gay community is just as welcome as any other group within society to enjoy our great game. It's setting an example for the wider community of inclusiveness and acceptance of other people with other backgrounds and beliefs. I cant quite see what this detracts from the game. By getting more people involved and interested in football they are creating a bigger fan base and therefore more ratings, merch, membership and ticket sales so this really seems like a win win from the AFL's point of view.

Firstly, who said you can pick and choose.

Secondly, you started the political whingefest.

The AFL have recognition rounds, it is a positive thing.

What am I picking and choosing?

I'm expressing my opinion in a thread about what people dislike about the afl.
I haven't started a whingefest.
Get over yourself. Yours isn't the only opinion in the world.

The AFL operates within society, it also has ethical responsibilities. Being an advocate is simply and extension of that. The are well within their rights to promote certain values.

And as I said in my post, I have no problems with bringing in rules about racial abuse etc.

What's the problem then??

What am I picking and choosing?

I'm expressing my opinion in a thread about what people dislike about the afl.

Get over yourself. Yours isn't the only opinion in the world.
What is it with the bogan set. Always bitching then pretending to be victimised when people disagree.

You deigned to consider women worthy of recognition, but no one else?

You can express your opinion and others are free to critique it.

And as I said in my post, I have no problems with bringing in rules about racial abuse etc.

What's the problem then??
That is only one form of action. The AFL want to go beyond protecting the rights of players, which they are legally bound to do, and promote an inclusive game which makes sense, as it broadens demographic appeal, shows appreciation to those who may feel marginalised traditionally and allows them to be a powerful voice within the community.

If they want fans and players to respect people, regardless of race or gender, then it helps if they are advocates, involving players, fans and staff in the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back