Who else is conflicted...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick the side with players who are most likely to be in our next flag tilt in the positions they are most likely to be in our next flag. Then coach and prepare them to give best chance of winning .
Those that are thought are gunna be gone use them to fill holes and/ or to assist others development .

I
Pick the side with players who are most likely to be in our next flag tilt in the positions they are most likely to be in our next flag. Then coach and prepare them to give best chance of winning .
Those that are thought are gunna be gone use them to fill holes and/ or to assist others development .
I doubt there are any players over 25 that will see a flag. Young players in our side other than Bolton do not appear to be A grade, so this could be a long hall back to contention. No tanking! Young players need to learn a win at all cost manner/attitude.

play to win

injuries wont let us win anyway so it works out

seriously think without louie we would be top 4 with our best 22 with yze at the helm

if we wore cheat hoops , abbotsford prison bars or a navy blue janitors jumper, afl wouldve found a way to make us top 4 this year despite the injuries

In all the years the VFL/AFL have had drafts (a few dodgy ones in the 1980s, got serious in 1992), there have been 40 players drafted at No 1.

4 have won premierships.

Drew Banfield - (handy player, hardly a match winner. Got 8 touches in 1994 GF, 9 touches in 2006 GF)
Luke Hodge - star - still not the best player in the best-ever draft. (Judd, Ablett, Mitchell, maybe Swan were better).
Des Headland - ha, ha, ha.
Tom Boyd - Played 9 games for his original club. Never got a Brownlow vote in his career. Played 1 good game (2016 GF). Total career - 61 games.

In the 2020 GF, we had 4 Top-10 draft picks - Cotchin, Martin, Vlastuin (played 1 minute), Prestia (who we traded for).
We had 3 players drafted 11-20 - Riewoldt, Rioli, Lynch (trade).

We had 6 players from rookie, pre- or mid-season drafts - Baker, Grimes, Castagna, Lambert, Pickett, Short. Short was B&F in a premiership year.

All the rest were drafted 20-60 (Broad was 67). We traded for Houli and Nank (who were picks in the 30s).

Our current side has 6 top-10 draft picks - Vlastuin, Martin, Hopper, Taranto, Gibcus, Prestia. Apart from Vlastuin, they're all injured or too old. That's one reason (6 reasons actually) why we are s**t.

Tanking sucks.

In all the years the VFL/AFL have had drafts (a few dodgy ones in the 1980s, got serious in 1992), there have been 40 players drafted at No 1.

4 have won premierships.

Drew Banfield - (handy player, hardly a match winner. Got 8 touches in 1994 GF, 9 touches in 2006 GF)
Luke Hodge - star - still not the best player in the best-ever draft. (Judd, Ablett, Mitchell, maybe Swan were better).
Des Headland - ha, ha, ha.
Tom Boyd - Played 9 games for his original club. Never got a Brownlow vote in his career. Played 1 good game (2016 GF). Total career - 61 games.

In the 2020 GF, we had 4 Top-10 draft picks - Cotchin, Martin, Vlastuin (played 1 minute), Prestia (who we traded for).
We had 3 players drafted 11-20 - Riewoldt, Rioli, Lynch (trade).

We had 6 players from rookie, pre- or mid-season drafts - Baker, Grimes, Castagna, Lambert, Pickett, Short. Short was B&F in a premiership year.

All the rest were drafted 20-60 (Broad was 67). We traded for Houli and Nank (who were picks in the 30s).

Our current side has 6 top-10 draft picks - Vlastuin, Martin, Hopper, Taranto, Gibcus, Prestia. Apart from Vlastuin, they're all injured or too old. That's one reason (6 reasons actually) why we are s**t.

Tanking sucks.
Great research and i agree with everything you've said.

I have no problem losing if we are clearly playing the kids and developing them, and they compete, e.g. against Carlton and Saints was proud of those efforts.

When we drop the kids and bring in older players if we lose, that's when I want to sack everyone because we're going nowhere if we're dropping kids and losing.

So if we lose tonight which we probably will, again I will ask what was the point of bringing back Grimes and playing Naismith? Why did we keep Pickett and Macintosh over Sonsie and McAulliffe?

All those questions are valid if we lose.

Wins are never meaningless, losses are soul destroying for a club even worse when they are planned losses.
Unless you’re North Melbourne who is already soulless and the win cost them a generational talent in Harley Reid that would’ve brought in that much $$$ to buy a new soul

dont like to say this but im not even bothered worrying bout it anymore bc the competition n games become that convoluted and compromised with the cheating and fixing of outcomes since 2021 its made me sit up and take on board that the monumental shift
in direction of how the game changed to be adjudicated from that year('21) by no accident coincided with the monumental shift and exposure the staged event of 2020 was also executed

i call this period the 'Great Shift' or 'The Cross Over'

Always play to win, but do it in a way that gives opportunities to kids.

I think the best way to rebuild is to try and hold a couple of experienced bodies in each area of the ground and provide kids opportunities around them.

We've been pretty good at giving opportunities to kids this year, even when we haven't been forced. It's only really been the wings that we've stubbornly held onto Kmac and Pickett, but that's probably because the kids below them haven't quite been doing enough. It's a pretty thankless role that isn't easy to play in our system.

Tanking instills a negative culture.
We got rewarded Dusty from the Karma Bus by not tanking.
I still expect the umpires to magically find a few frees for us if we finish out of finals contention and a classy player emerges in the draft that we could snoop on if finishing low down the ladder.
Will be very interesting.
Will the CFL CFL again?
Stay tuned.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17th is the goal this season. Don’t feel conflicted. Not sure how many wins we’d need to avoid the spoon maybe 5-6?

I personally cope by following the performance of individual players. So Dusty AA and B&F + 17th ladder finish is my perfect season.

Could be a sneaky chance of club leading goal kicker too which would be mint.

I don't feel conflicted. We should be aiming to win each game. Tanking is for losers.

The only real issue I have is where senior players that aren't performing are still getting games. Guys like McIntosh and Pickett could be replaced by a kid and the on-field difference in impact right now would be minimal but the long-term benefit would be substantial. I can (just) cop getting Marlion to 100 games, but McIntosh? Nah.

I don't feel conflicted. We should be aiming to win each game. Tanking is for losers.

The only real issue I have is where senior players that aren't performing are still getting games. Guys like McIntosh and Pickett could be replaced by a kid and the on-field difference in impact right now would be minimal but the long-term benefit would be substantial. I can (just) cop getting Marlion to 100 games, but McIntosh? Nah.

Finishing middle of the pack gets you nowhere. We are literally called 9thmond.

Finish bottom 4, get could picks whilst developing kids and our gameplan should be what we are doing.

I don't want us to win any more games for year maybe Dreamtime at the G versus the Bombers because I hate that mob.

It's not in our best interest to win games as sad as that sounds, we have plenty of excuses with injuries.

WCE are literally resting Harley Reid this week because they know it's bad if they win too many games.
Why would you rest a player that is flying & gaining crazy experience? just shows you how important getting into the first few picks of the draft is.

AFL is so corrupt & incompetent umpiring in every game you watch & silly reviews that aren't even close calls it's all business to make money, I'm caring less & less about the game probably going to sound like a whiner, but the game is in terrible shape.

I have even been thinking about cancelling Kayo, & just watching our games on Free TV. not finding much enjoyment watching us play & other teams as a neutral, our club has also become a soft mediocrity club with the way they let the AFL walk all over us.

I don't want us to win any more games for year maybe Dreamtime at the G versus the Bombers because I hate that mob.

It's not in our best interest to win games as sad as that sounds, we have plenty of excuses with injuries.

WCE are literally resting Harley Reid this week because they know it's bad if they win too many games.
Why would you rest a player that is flying & gaining crazy experience? just shows you how important getting into the first few picks of the draft is.

AFL is so corrupt & incompetent umpiring in every game you watch & silly reviews that aren't even close calls it's all business to make money, I'm caring less & less about the game probably going to sound like a whiner, but the game is in terrible shape.

I have even been thinking about cancelling Kayo, & just watching our games on Free TV. not finding much enjoyment watching us play & other teams as a neutral, our club has also become a soft mediocrity club with the way they let the AFL walk all over us.
I enjoy our games but in general neutral AFL games pretty much lost all interest in games outside of ours.

I've been more excited watching our fringe players in the VFL this year, however with all our injuries it has taken the fun out of that too.

If the match committee start dropping our younger players (McAuliffe & Sonsie etc) while others start coming back from injury then i might start watching VFL again.

Last edited:
Would rather be as competitive as possible, however, winning 3 GFs in 4 years should see a sense of calm over you. Stop and smell the roses for a bit. Won't be another 37 year wait for the next

I've been more excited watching our fringe players in the VFL this year, however with all our injuries it has taken the fun out of that too.

If the match committee start dropping our younger players (McAuliffe & Sonsie etc) while others start coming back from injury then i might starting watching again.
I am a fan of Yze speaks really well but he has made no real hard decisions every decision has been injury related, McIntosh & Pickett still playing while he is dropping young players like you said McAuliffe & Sonsie.

I say go for the win, realistically we're next to no shot at winning games while half our team is out anyway so its the best of both worlds really

I agree with you Football Tragic but I can’t for the life of me fathom why the draft picks you get need to be based on where you finish at the end of the year and why they can’t switch to, say, some randomisation of picks (eg. Any team that misses the finals could get the #1 pick) that would put an end to tanking (and allegations of it)
I think the first round should be based on finishing position over a 3 year period. The weight of averages would then take out a bit of the adversity of winning or losing 1 or 2 matches late in the season. It would stop teams that are actually good dropping down for 1 year and getting a top ahead of teams that have been battling mid table for a few years.
s**t teams like Norf would still get the top picks.
After the first round of picks it reverts to finishing positions.

It’s a concern the coach wants us to win?
doubt it, if this was the case he would not have left kids stay in the middle practically all game while the Eagles big bodied mids were smashing us up, while Dusty was parked up Forward and not expected to do much with limited supply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back