Who else is loving our new game style?

Remove this Banner Ad

lol.

He’s also had no less than 8 in any match either. 44 per cent of his touches have been contested.
lol
Easy to manage 44% contested when you're only getting it 15 times per game.

As I said, Guthrie needs to pull his finger out and start playing like an A grader. We committed to him long term on bloody good coin. Can't leave it all to Selwood.

lol
Easy to manage 44% contested when you're only getting it 15 times per game.

As I said, Guthrie needs to pull his finger out and start playing like an A grader. We committed to him long term on bloody good coin. Can't leave it all to Selwood.
Might he be playing a role where he's not in the front charging wave but supporting it?

Fewer disposals available for link players under our experimental mad ball game plan.
You mean the fast handball game thats perfect for guthrie racking up one two handballs?

the old style racked up stats for defenders and midfielders who like to sit behind the play of which guthrie was not one of them.

the change in style understates the fall in guthries ball winning form. Not overstates it.

You mean the fast handball game thats perfect for guthrie racking up one two handballs?

the old style racked up stats for defenders and midfielders who like to sit behind the play of which guthrie was not one of them.

the change in style understates the fall in guthries ball winning form. Not overstates it.
Nope, disposals now go to forwards and to defenders dealing with all the fast counter-attacks, bypassing the link players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, just so we are clear:

I like games the most when we win.

I am never ever ever going to watch us lose but be happy if we lost pretty. What that has to do with our finals outcomes is irrelevant.
My point is that the game style that we employed for last couple of years we were not good enough to execute to a flag victory, and it is a low risk low reward strategy. Yeah you could argue that it would’ve got us 2020 but for one D Martin hauling tigers over the line. Perhaps. But the change in style to more attacking is acknowledgment by Scott that he needed to find a strategy that is more likely to win finals matches.
sure we had an elite bunch of players in 2007/2009 but it’s how we won those flags.

I havent enjoyed a geelong vs hawthorn match that much in years. Yes we didnt show up at the start, we ran out of chase, we were woeful in front of goal and the umps robbed us blind. But damn, it felt like I was watching geelong play football again the geelong way. The ball movement was a thing of beauty. Seeing some of those chains of handballs made me excited again.

its a really pity we didnt try to play this style when all our mids were at their peaks. talent wise we are just a middle of the road side now and will be for many years. But if we employ a style of play like we have in the past couple of weeks I will be proud and happy. with this game style we will win games we probably dont deserve to. And more importantly, football will be fun again.

it feels like geelong may finally be coming back. i hope.

Were you proud when Bomber Thompson employed an attacking game style that cost us the 2008 and 2010 premierships ?

Despite having more All Australian players and winning more games we couldn't go back to back. Hawthorn and Brisbane were able to win 3 premierships in a row. Richmond won 2 premiership in a row. We failed to do so because we were turnover merchants.

Playing on at all costs up the middle of the ground would have turned us into turnover merchants in September over the past few years.

Let's learn from our past mistakes and take a balanced approach.

if this was true we would not have finals and every team would play each other an equal amount of games with the team on top at the end of the season declared the premier.

In fact, if what you say is true we wouldnt even have wins and loses. Instead we would simply tally up the points for vs points against at the end of the season and the team with the highest percentage would be declared the winner. Because thats what determines the best team.

finals, an uneven fixture, and wins and loses all exist because they make the game more entertaining. its an entertainment industry.

the competition would also not exist if it wasnt for the money people pay to see it. And they pay to see it because it entertains them.

The entertainment primarily lies in the outcome of the match. Not knowing if you will celebrate a win or despair at a loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back