Who feels sorry for St Kilda - the only drought remaining!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe people are buying into this as it's not even remotely close.

I said it previously but North's list in 2016 was the oldest and most experienced in the league. They had 13 players over the age of 28, and 7 of them were over 30. Not only that but they were all good or very good players who were relied on and played a lot of football that season:
  • Harvey 23 games 36 goals
  • Petrie 23 games27 goals
  • Waite 14 games
  • Firrito 22 games
  • Dal Santo 22 games
  • Wells 19 games etc
The only guy over 30 who didn't play much football was Farren Ray with 4 games. North in 2016 was in prime position to fall of a cliff by the end of the year.

St Kilda on the other has 8 players over 28 and they are below. The only important player here is Ryder.
  • Paul Hunter - Played 7 games back up ruckman not best 22
  • Jake Carlise - Played 3 games and delisted
  • Dylan Roberton - Retired heart problems didn't play
  • Dan Hannebry - Played 2 games
  • Shaun McKernan - Played 4 games not best 22 delisted
  • James Frawley - Played 3 games not best 22 delisted
  • Jarryn Geary - Played 3 games not best 22
  • Paddy Ryder - Played 12 games is best 22
Other than those guys there are 6 players who are 27, only two of them are certain best 22 (Crouch and Hill) the rest are 26 or younger.

Guy's like Sharman, Highmore, Higgins, Clark, Gresham, Coffield, Marshall, King, Patton, Brynes, Bytel, Battle, etc are in the right age bracket to improve and some may even go on and become A grade. There are very few if any best 22 players who will regress with age (Ryder aside)

In short St Kilda is not about to fall off a cliff anytime soon based on the demographics of their list. It may not be a brilliant list but 90% of players are still either of an age where they will keep improving or at the least won't get any worse for around 3-4 years.
TLDR sorry, but the concept of being stuck mid table is about what some people are referring to. Anyway good luck. Would be nice to see the Saints do well.

TLDR sorry, but the concept of being stuck mid table is about what some people are referring to. Anyway good luck. Would be nice to see the Saints do well.
If you had said that I wouldn't have argued. I don't agree but thats because I'm an optimist.

Anyway thanks for the well wishes. Hope roos go well next year too

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes I feel sorry for them and would love to see them win a flag soon (as long as it's not at our expense)

Would love to see Freo, GWS and Suns win one too. Would be good for North and the Dogs to get a couple more cups in the cabinet as well.

I like to see teams end droughts it's great theatre and good for the game. Except Carlton and Essendon, may they suffer for many more decades yet.

Port Adelaide effectively ''exiting'' the SANFL comp and entering the AFL definitely changed the power dynamics of the SANFL, moreso than when the Crows entered the AFL.

Port won 5 out of 7 flags in the 90's prior to their AFL entry. And then they won two more flags at the end of the 90's as the ''SANFL Magpies'' with still a lot of the same legacy players of that period. But the following decade they pretty much disappeared and now of course they remain intermittently competitive as the Power reserves - but not the same as they were.

Interestingly, it took Central District 36 years to win their first flag in 2000 (entered the comp in 1964). They then went on to win 8 of the next 10 premierships. And have since fallen back into obscurity.

Central Districts are an interesting case study on how quickly things can turn around in football. The Bulldogs played in 12 consecutive Grand Finals 2000-2011 inclusive, but after losing to the Eagles in a massive upset in 2011, they haven't made another GF in a decade since. And in 10 years after being so dominant, Centrals suddenly have the second longest drought for GF appearances. Only South Adelaide Panthers (last GF in 1979) have a longer absence than the Bulldogs and while the Adelaide Crows SANFL team has not made a GF, it only began from 2013.

St Kilda should have won in 2010. They were a better team than Collingwood.

St Kilda should have won the GF but Collingwood were a superior team IMO. They were in red-hot form coming into the GF having smashed Footscray and Geelong, the reigning premiers.

The Pies pretty much dominated but kicked very badly the first half of GF1, should have been up by 6-7 goals. It would have an absolute disaster for Collingwood if they lost that GF, considering their form and first half. However, given the momentum they had the Saints probably should have won.

I remember there was talk that Ross Lyon was pretty annoyed after the draw (in addition to the rooms being flooded), he probably knew that Collingwood had bottled that second half and the Saints probably had the perfect opportunity to steal it. Deep down I reckon Malthouse must thank his lucky stars he was allowed to get away with that one

The Replay showed that Collingwood were a better team I think.

2009 was the inverse - I felt the Saints dominated most of that GF, kicked inaccurately and unfortunately Geelong (another super team) capitalised. 2009 was the one they should have won.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide effectively ''exiting'' the SANFL comp and entering the AFL definitely changed the power dynamics of the SANFL, moreso than when the Crows entered the AFL.

Port won 5 out of 7 flags in the 90's prior to their AFL entry. And then they won two more flags at the end of the 90's as the ''SANFL Magpies'' with still a lot of the same legacy players of that period. But the following decade they pretty much disappeared and now of course they remain intermittently competitive as the Power reserves - but not the same as they were.

Interestingly, it took Central District 36 years to win their first flag in 2000 (entered the comp in 1964). They then went on to win 8 of the next 10 premierships. And have since fallen back into obscurity.

centrals also made grand finals in 1995 and 1996. I think they were favorites in 1996 too. If you look back at it, the only side centrals didn't beat in a grand final from 1995-2011 was Port. South Adelaide and crows SANFL side doesn't count. South Adelaide hasn't won a flag since 1964 or made a grand final since 1979.

Crows have had a team in the SANFL since 2014 and only made a prelim

St Kilda should have won the GF but Collingwood were a superior team IMO. They were in red-hot form coming into the GF having smashed Footscray and Geelong, the reigning premiers.

The Pies pretty much dominated but kicked very badly the first half of GF1, should have been up by 6-7 goals. It would have an absolute disaster for Collingwood if they lost that GF, considering their form and first half. However, given the momentum they had the Saints probably should have won.

I remember there was talk that Ross Lyon was pretty annoyed after the draw (in addition to the rooms being flooded), he probably knew that Collingwood had bottled that second half and the Saints probably had the perfect opportunity to steal it. Deep down I reckon Malthouse must thank his lucky stars he was allowed to get away with that one

The Replay showed that Collingwood were a better team I think.

2009 was the inverse - I felt the Saints dominated most of that GF, kicked inaccurately and unfortunately Geelong (another super team) capitalised. 2009 was the one they should have won.
Spot on . Pies thumped us by about 9 goals late home and away 2010, and about the same in the replay and from memory a similar result the following year. In a quartet of games over a couple of years the GF draw was the outlier.
And from memory the Cats was the opposite . 2009 we beat them by a kick in the home and away and beat them in the GF replay in 2010 and qualifying final by a kick 2010. So the 2009 GF was the outlier in a quartet of games and the one that got away.

That's my memory of those years, but personally the Pies were a superior team to us in 2010. Both hurt , but 2009 was the one we should have won!!

Why would anyone feel sorry for St Kilda?
Easy answer - the people who passionately love and support their own club knows what it means to experience a flag. Hence , they would never begrudge the opposition supporter from that one day in the sun in their lifetime 👌

The bold type are the operative words , Timmy

Passionately love and support.

i personally find the hard core fanatic who knows the sacrifice of supporting and loving their club, rarely begrudge the supporters of the non -successful clubs 👍

You are welcome to make up whatever definition you like of what you define a passionate supporter to be and what they should think about other clubs.

Doesn’t make you right though. Some passionate supporters have a lifelong hatred for certain clubs and never want to see them succeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are welcome to make up whatever definition you like of what you define a passionate supporter to be and what they should think about other clubs.

Doesn’t make you right though. Some passionate supporters have a lifelong hatred for certain clubs and never want to see them succeed
For the die -hard that is true . Carlton/Collingwood old - Hawthorn/Geelong recent - no love lost there passionate or casual fan I suspect.
Interested , Timmy - 'Make up whatever defintion you like of what you define a passionate supporter."
i certainly have my definition - what's yours??

For the die -hard that is true . Carlton/Collingwood old - Hawthorn/Geelong recent - no love lost there passionate or casual fan I suspect.
Interested , Timmy - 'Make up whatever defintion you like of what you define a passionate supporter."
i certainly have my definition - what's yours??

So do you agree with me now?

Your definition of a passionate supporter seems to differ from your definition of a diehard supporter.

Not playing your semantics games.

Really want the dockers to get up and shake the 'little brother' moniker they've been stuck with the last 20something years

Really want the dockers to get up and shake the 'little brother' moniker they've been stuck with the last 20something years
Agreed- As said before , they've been waiting only half of our journey , but would be great for the game if they saluted. :thumbsu:

The Saints had their moments even when they were struggling. And even when the success was curtailed. Coming into last round 1978, they had to beat Blues at home and Roy's had to beat Cats for them to make the top 5. Saints fulfilled their part, smashing the top 4 Blues by 40 points in a rampant win loudly cheered. Sadly, the Cats demolished Fitzroy. It didn't halt the post game celebrations which were delirious. I woke up at dawn next day in a telephone box next to Morrabbin train station, missing a shoe.

The hangover went all the way into 1979, the Saints taking out the wooden spoon, and Blues the flag under the Great Jezza, who the next year again joined the Saints, became playing coach during the season, and playing some pretty good footy off half back.

The days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back