Who feels sorry for St Kilda - the only drought remaining!

Amazing that StKilda finished higher than Melbourne only a season ago. We don't need to bottom out we need a clean run of health for a season.

Your list is beyond a 'clean run of health'.

Personally I hope the Kings reunite at the GoCo.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I want them to win one because even though I wasn’t there, everyone should feel the overwhelming joy I felt when the final siren rang on Saturday night. To then see all those past players getting around it and the new champions expressing their elation and acknowledging the fans felt like a journey completed that was worthwhile. It was healing and cathartic and after many years of the dark times punctuated with the odd good but ultimately not good enough performance it felt ******* awesome. There was a running Simpsons meme on the Melbourne board as we slowly rose from the sh*t of 2013 of not feeling pride but less shame. I’m proud of this club and you’d have to have a heart of stone to not want that for other fans. As Petracca said “we bloody did it!”
A heart of stone to not want that for other fans. Think threesixpio :think:obviously disagrees with this sentiment.

Was i envious , jealous , frustrated , about the Dees breaking through to make us the longest drought - yeah, all of those things . But gee was I deliriously happy for all my Dees mates who I have gone to the footy on and off for decades , as I know exactly how much it mean't to them. I did feel sorry for my die-hard mates who couldn't attend. A mate my age, an MCC member who has attended 27 grand finals including the 1988 and 2000 massacres from the Hawks and Bombers , missed out going to the one where they were favoured to win and had to sit home and watch it on his own!! I only hope the Dee's get another chance in the next few years where he can personally experience it. God knows, he deserves it. Max Gawn's heartwarming speech about the tragedy's of the club- Sean Wight, Robbie Flower, Troy Broadbridge , Jim Stynes, Neale Daniher [ I must admit I'd forgot some of these] - you can only imagine what it mean't to their families. I remember Cowboy Neale as a 21 year old from Warnambool doing the lap of honour around the G in 66, seeing old Saints fans in their 70's and 80's crying in the stand , never thinking they'd see the day. It then started to sink in to him what it all actually mean't . :think:
The attitude of the fans like threesixpio always perplexes me .
I want them to win one because even though I wasn’t there, everyone should feel the overwhelming joy I felt when the final siren rang on Saturday night. To then see all those past players getting around it and the new champions expressing their elation and acknowledging the fans felt like a journey completed that was worthwhile. It was healing and cathartic and after many years of the dark times punctuated with the odd good but ultimately not good enough performance it felt ******* awesome. There was a running Simpsons meme on the Melbourne board as we slowly rose from the sh*t of 2013 of not feeling pride but less shame. I’m proud of this club and you’d have to have a heart of stone to not want that for other fans. As Petracca said “we bloody did it!”

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I find it a strange attitude the supporters of other clubs (not in the running for the flag) that are actually turned off by success-starved clubs winning flags. It reeks of a 'f you I got mine'' mentality

People might be ideologically opposed to the 'equalisation policy' of the AFL - but I think the enabling of clubs to quickly turn things around and be capable of winning a flag is a important for the health of the competition. ''Competition'' being the operative word.

Premierships are still not handed over it continues to drive a lot of hard work and innovation on behalf of the clubs.

I've supported all the other clubs with long droughts in their Grand Finals - even St Kilda who I honestly couldnt stand at the time. And while I was jealous seeing those other clubs break their droughts its a reminder that droughts can be broken.

All most fans really want from their clubs is the ability to compete well and on as level a playing field as possible. For all its faults as an organisation, the AFL tries to provide that which I think is good for the competition.

Last edited:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I find it a strange attitude the supporters of other clubs (not in the running for the flag) that are actually turned off by success-starved clubs winning flags. It reeks of a 'f you I got mine'' mentality

People might be ideologically opposed to the 'equalisation policy' of the AFL - but I think its the think the enabling of clubs to quickly turn things around and be capable of winning a flag is a important for the health of the competition. ''Competition'' being the operative word.

Premierships are still not handed over it continues to drive a lot of hard work and innovation on behalf of the clubs.

I've supported all the other clubs with long droughts in their Grand Finals - even St Kilda who I honestly couldnt stand at the time. And while I was jealous seeing those other clubs break their droughts its a reminder that droughts can be broken.

All most fans really want from their clubs is the ability to compete well and on as level a playing field as possible. For all its faults as an organisation, the AFL tries to provide that which I think is good for the competition.
100% agreement. I went to the new stadium in Perth for a Freo/Saints game 3 years ago and sat next to a passionate Freo supporter and discussed the game. I didn't know it but in the WAFL Subiaco [ who are in the grand final again this year , have played in about 13 grand finals since 2004 and won about 8 !! Obviously dominated the competition for a long period of time. The Freo supporter said really killed interest in the comp. Looking at the crowds they get about 5,000 a game. :huh:It's no good for the competition. If you were a born and bred passionate Subiaco supporter it would be euphoric - if you were the Subiaco fan who watched it on TV and weren't a member and didn't go to the finals and went to the odd game here and there it would still be great. Don't think it would be so great or euphoric for the other clubs supporters who are never in the running and taste success :think: :think: :think: Our comp is in a very healthy state compared to the WAFL as an example. And yes it is a strange attitude and the f#$@ you i got mine mentality.

as a footnote, my personal experience is the supporters who have the most passion and love for their own club have the most empathy for the success starved supporters of the non successful clubs!!! I mentioned my die-hard Hawk mates in a previous thread who are life long members who have witnessed countless grand final successes, who would love me to have that one day in the sun. Rarely is that empathy shared by the casual fan :think:

People might be ideologically opposed to the 'equalisation policy' of the AFL - but I think the enabling of clubs to quickly turn things around and be capable of winning a flag is a important for the health of the competition. ''Competition'' being the operative word.

I enjoyed it when the Dogs and Dees broke their drough as both sides played good footy (swans not so much)

But deep down their is that annoyance and frustration within me with our best side of all time in 2009 had to face one of the best sides ever assembled with the cats, the timing was just so s**t for us then.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I sincerely hope St Kilda break the drought soon. Passionate Saints supporters deserved to see their team have the ultimate success.

However, when Carlton assume the mantle of the longest drought, I will NEVER, repeat NEVER feel sorry for those campaigners!!
:pYes my mad Tiger mates who have gone to Saints/Tigers games going back decades with me. I couldn't have been happier for them in 2017. They got their $600 AFL all food and alcohol tickets and were delirious by games end . They all said it was surreal . First thing I did was text them at the game at sirens end. And yes, Carlton/Richmond hatred from the late 60's into the early 80's runs deep. Not a shred of sympathy or empathy for the Blues from the Tiger faithful

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I enjoyed it when the Dogs and Dees broke their drough as both sides played good footy (swans not so much)

But deep down their is that annoyance and frustration within me with our best side of all time in 2009 had to face one of the best sides ever assembled with the cats, the timing was just so sh*t for us then.

Totally understand that frustration - the reality is that all flags are not equal.

Sometimes champions team face off against one another (great for the neutrals). Other years its a complete raffle and the winner takes their chances - like 2016.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
:pYes my mad Tiger mates who have gone to Saints/Tigers games going back decades with me. I couldn't have been happier for them in 2017. They got their $600 AFL all food and alcohol tickets and were delirious by games end . They all said it was surreal . First thing I did was text them at the game at sirens end. And yes, Carlton/Richmond hatred from the late 60's into the early 80's runs deep. Not a shred of sympathy or empathy for the Blues from the Tiger faithful
I'm a tad older than you and was fortunate enough to experience the '73, '74 & '80 premierships before our recent successes. Only vague memories of '67 & '69. However, '72 was my first taste of complete despair at the hands of Carlton. I remember their arrogance (particularly directed at Collingwood) back in the day.

Whilst no sympathy for them, I would like to see them climb up the ladder because the beer tastes better when you beat the Blues in a high stakes game.

Totally understand that frustration - the reality is that all flags are not equal.

Sometimes champions team face off against one another (great for the neutrals). Other years its a complete raffle and the winner takes their chances - like 2016.
Footy can be a cruel mistress at times.

But alas there is always next year.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a tad older than you and was fortunate enough to experience the '73, '74 & '80 premierships before our recent successes. Only vague memories of '67 & '69. However, '72 was my first taste of complete despair at the hands of Carlton. I remember their arrogance (particularly directed at Collingwood) back in the day.

Whilst no sympathy for them, I would like to see them climb up the ladder because the beer tastes better when you beat the Blues in a high stakes game.
Mmmmm.... that old Carlton arrogance - didn't we all just love that . Personally I haven't missed it , but a Blues supporter under early 30's would have little knowledge or experience of it.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

Yeah well Saints already got their flag in 1966. Why not freo?

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah well Saints already got their flag in 1966. Why not freo?
Would love Freo to salute. The poor bugger I met at the Freo/Saints game a few years ago in Perth had been a member all his life. Came over to the GF loss to Hawks a few years earlier and goodness knows what that cost him in airfare, accommodation and entry :think: I was actually afraid to ask him. Like us all he deserves to see the club he loves win at least one flag in his lifetime!! I did joke to him i'd waited half a century not quarter of a century like himself!:p The Saints winning one in 66 when I was born . In all honesty it doesn't mean a great deal to me personally. You could ask Demon fans what the number 12 means to them, as all were achieved before they could personally witness it.

I'm bemused by threesixpio feeling sorry for the Hawks fans from 1925 -1960 sitting through a dozen spoons , a couple of finals appearances and the worst win/loss ratio of all the clubs.[ But he has no empathy for the fans of other clubs who have lived through similar eras]Not sure if on your deathbed in 1960, if Saint Peter said the Hawks will become a powerhouse after your gone after decades of misery , would make you feel better or worse. :oops:

IMO the history of the clubs is one thing, but the joy of personally experiencing that feeling of euphoria of winning, after decades of financial, physical and emotional support and commitment to your club is what every supporter deserves.

Saints fans deserve some reward for sticking with their side through the lean times. The 80s must have been really rough, with the exception of watching the Plugger show

Flag Saints

Draftee
Sep 28, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since Melbourne have been good I've dreaded the idea of them winning a flag before us. But when it came down to it, I found that I really wanted them to win it. I think it was part 'their fans/organisation deserve success' and part 'if ******* Melbourne can get it together then we can too'.

I'm obviously biased but I think the day the Saints finally get up in a Grand Final will be one of the best and most famous days in footy history. Yes there have been longer droughts and worse sides, but the perennial failures, 27 wooden spoons, so close in so many finals, etc etc actually, finally doing it would be incredible. I think few could argue with the romanticism of that.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since Melbourne have been good I've dreaded the idea of them winning a flag before us. But when it came down to it, I found that I really wanted them to win it. I think it was part 'their fans/organisation deserve success' and part 'if ******* Melbourne can get it together then we can too'.

I'm obviously biased but I think the day the Saints finally get up in a Grand Final will be one of the best and most famous days in footy history. Yes there have been longer droughts and worse sides, but the perennial failures, 27 wooden spoons, so close in so many finals, etc etc actually, finally doing it would be incredible. I think few could argue with the romanticism of that.
"Few could argue with the romanticism of that.'

My passionate Hawker mates are on board with this sentiment , as obviously am I. I'm curious what Hawthorn supporter threesixpio will add to the conversation . :think:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints fans deserve some reward for sticking with their side through the lean times. The 80s must have been really rough, with the exception of watching the Plugger show
The 80's was tuff :mad: 5 wooden spoons in 6 years- personally saw 3 100 point losses in consecutive weeks - that was fun!
The Plugger show however was a beacon of light in a darkness . To go expecting a drubbing but Plugger could kick 6 or could kick 8+ to sneak us a win was gold.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The 80's was tuff :mad: 5 wooden spoons in 6 years- personally saw 3 100 point losses in consecutive weeks - that was fun!
The Plugger show however was a beacon of light in a darkness . To go expecting a drubbing but Plugger could kick 6 or could kick 8+ to sneak us a win was gold.
And like all footy lovers the Doggies winning in 2016 was gold. As an MCC member at the Dogs/Hawks semi walking out at the end of the game to the delirious Dogs supporters singing their song. I was at Richmond station and they were still singing it . Happy days :thumbsu:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I see Subiaco won the flag in the WAFL last night . Have played in 13 of last 18 grand finals since 2004 and won 9!! All credit to them - must be a superbly run club, but would any fan in Perth [ including Subi fans] claim that is the sign of a healthy competition :think:

Back