Who feels sorry for St Kilda - the only drought remaining!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody with an empathetic bone in their body should feel for St Kilda fans.

Honestly find me another sport where someone got as close as St Kilda did in 2009 and 2010 without triumphing. And off the back of 97, 04 and 05 being right there.

My footy watching life has spanned 30 odd years. Every other Victorian club has saluted in that time (except Fitzroy of course).
Mayo in Gaelic Football would be a lot more heartbreaking. 11 All-Ireland finals in my life time (since 1989) and they have lost all of them, every single one. Some of them in downright bizarre circumstances too, e.g scoring multiple own goals to turn a handy second half lead into a draw and losing replay. Poor deluded feckers still think each year is their year to win ‘Sam’.

Mayo have not won an All-Ireland football final since 1951. Legend has it that a priest became furious when the Mayo team bus returning home from the 1951 final passed by a funeral without showing respect as they celebrated their All-Ireland win. The priest supposedly put a curse on Mayo, that they would not win another title until all of the team had died.[4] Since the deaths of Pádraig Carney in 2019 and Paddy Prendergast in 2021, only one member of the 1951 team remain living – Mick Loftus, though he was a sub and did not play on the day.[5][6] Prendergast, who was the final surviving member of the team and played at full-back, died at the age of 95 on 26 September 2021.[7][8][9]

How close they got in 2009/10 really does mask how badly they blew 2005. Ahead at 3QT at the MCG with a grand final waiting against another non-Vic team off a day's less break. Imagine how different today's AFL might look if Grant Thomas was a premiership coach instead of the game's loudest outsider.

2004 prelim final in Adelaide when the crowd invaded for the G Train's 100th and killed their momentum v Port Adelaide.

Genuinely feel for their die hard supporter base. No supporter should wait that long to see their club win a flag. They have had a few genuine chances though..

Feel like Ben King will leave GC for the Saints at some point, and around the time they are 25/26 is when the Saints will start making PFs etc.

100% agreement. I went to the new stadium in Perth for a Freo/Saints game 3 years ago and sat next to a passionate Freo supporter and discussed the game. I didn't know it but in the WAFL Subiaco [ who are in the grand final again this year , have played in about 13 grand finals since 2004 and won about 8 !! Obviously dominated the competition for a long period of time. The Freo supporter said really killed interest in the comp. Looking at the crowds they get about 5,000 a game. :huh:It's no good for the competition. If you were a born and bred passionate Subiaco supporter it would be euphoric - if you were the Subiaco fan who watched it on TV and weren't a member and didn't go to the finals and went to the odd game here and there it would still be great. Don't think it would be so great or euphoric for the other clubs supporters who are never in the running and taste success :think: :think: :think:

Indeed. For all people's nostalgia for the VFL, a few clubs dominated the competition courtesy of some significant advantages - primarily financial and country zoning. The likes of Melbourne, Footscray, South Melbourne were never really in the running for a flag for a good 20 year period. Those clubs suffered badly and so I think the competition suffered as a result as well. You were probably loving it if you were a Hawthorn or Carlton fan, and its not to diminish the success they had, but I think fans need to at least have the confidence that their team is competing on a level playing field.

Bringing West Coast and the Bears (and the national draft) was the original catalyst to expand and revitalise the competition. By the mid-90's (discounting the West Coast Eagles state side) it was starting to bear fruit. You have Sydney play off in their first Granny in 50 years, the Bears who were a bigger joke than Gold Coast were playing finals. St Kilda played off in a Granny the following year - first in 25 odd years.

It's not to say the national game wasn't a very difficult transition for many Vic clubs as we know almost merged or folded. It's real shame to me that Fitzroy could not be saved and in reality it was a tumultuous time for many Vic clubs, because since then the AFL has stepped in numerous times to help struggling clubs - I think recognising that what was allowed to happen to Fitzroy was a mistake.

Fast forward to now, there's hardly any calls for clubs to relocate out of Melbourne or merge which is great. The AFL's support for the clubs has now allowed many of them to survive the lean years and enable them to rebound fairly quickly to become competitive again. Much more interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed. For all people's nostalgia for the VFL, a few clubs dominated the competition courtesy of some significant advantages - primarily financial and country zoning. The likes of Melbourne, Footscray, South Melbourne were never really in the running for a flag for a good 20 year period. Those clubs suffered badly and so I think the competition suffered as a result as well. You were probably loving it if you were a Hawthorn or Carlton fan, and its not to diminish the success they had, but I think fans need to at least have the confidence that their team is competing on a level playing field.

Bringing West Coast and the Bears (and the national draft) was the original catalyst to expand and revitalise the competition. By the mid-90's (discounting the West Coast Eagles state side) it was starting to bear fruit. You have Sydney play off in their first Granny in 50 years, the Bears who were a bigger joke than Gold Coast were playing finals. St Kilda played off in a Granny the following year - first in 25 odd years.

It's not to say the national game wasn't a very difficult transition for many Vic clubs as we know almost merged or folded. It's real shame to me that Fitzroy could not be saved and in reality it was a tumultuous time for many Vic clubs, because since then the AFL has stepped in numerous times to help struggling clubs - I think recognising that what was allowed to happen to Fitzroy was a mistake.

Fast forward to now, there's hardly any calls for clubs to relocate out of Melbourne or merge which is great. The AFL's support for the clubs has now allowed many of them to survive the lean years and enable them to rebound fairly quickly to become competitive again. Much more interesting.
100% agreement. And yes , we all had passionate Roy's fans growing up. I just felt so devastated for them come mid 90's to lose their club . People like Jeff Kennett who treat footy as a business hold a different opinion mind you :think:

100% agreement. And yes , we all had passionate Roy's fans growing up. I just felt so devastated for them come mid 90's to lose their club . People like Jeff Kennett who treat footy as a business hold a different opinion mind you :think:

Absolutely. Kennett has been openly advocating for decades to send the likes of Melb, Footscray, St Kilda to the slaughterhouse because of their lack of success, likening it to a business that hasn't delivered anything during their years without a flag.

It's a good thing that not many people listen to Jeff or take him seriously. While footy has naturally become more commercial (and had to), outside flags (which only 1 team in 18 can win in a given year), people ultimately continue to support footy clubs and attend the footy to see their team compete and give effort. That's why proper sports competitions where flags can't be actually bought (like the EPL) will never be like the business world (which favours the wealthy and gives unfair advantage), and refreshingly so.

I feel sorry for them. They were a great side in 2009 (one of the best ever runners up) and were a whisker off in 2010 (although Collingwood were deserved premiers). 1997 was another year they blew it. 2004 they would have over run the Lions had they got over Port.

And they have stuffed up the draft. Missing out on Petracca was a disaster but then to lose McCartin to concussion compounded the error.

In saying this, the Saint's strategy was the correct one - bank salary cap space and target free agents. The players they have traded for have been mixed in terms of success. Hannebery, Hill and Crouch have been overpaid, while Ryder, Jones, Butler and Howard have been good value. Now they look to be stuck in no-mans land without enough top end talent. Carlton look like going down a similar path but have landed better top end talent via the draft and will surely be better organised defensively than under Teague.

AFL premierships are hard to win for all clubs, particularly for non-destination clubs in Victoria. But the success of the Dees and Dogs shows that history doesn't have to repeat. Steele, Howard, Gresham, Marshall, Clark and King are all young enough to build around but only if they hit on their picks. IMO they should be patient and look to win it in 2023. It is probably going to take two years to acquire enough talent to go all the way.

Think you should add

Collingwood 1990
Fitzroy* 2001

* as Brisbane Lions taking the identity of Fitzroy.

Anyway Premierships aren’t in the Saints DNA. 1966 was a ripple in time..
Yeah, not sure why people omit Fitzroy/Lions drought being broken in 2001. Was actually 57 years. The same length as Melbourne.

Tell you what, the calibre of their main board posters in 09/10 made them very easy to dislike

But their fans do deserve to see one -we all know the joy it brings

Tell you what, the calibre of their main board posters in 09/10 made them very easy to dislike

But their fans do deserve to see one -we all know the joy it brings
Yep, not a rap for the Pies [ I mean who is] still scarred from my old man who was hard core Collingwood taking me to Vic Park in 1979 for the then 178 point VFL record thrashing:tired:
Went to both the 2010 grannies with my Pie mates - devastated as a Saint per usual , but begrudgingly even for them.......................it had been 20 years!!

I feel sorry for them. They were a great side in 2009 (one of the best ever runners up) and were a whisker off in 2010 (although Collingwood were deserved premiers). 1997 was another year they blew it. 2004 they would have over run the Lions had they got over Port.

And they have stuffed up the draft. Missing out on Petracca was a disaster but then to lose McCartin to concussion compounded the error.

In saying this, the Saint's strategy was the correct one - bank salary cap space and target free agents. The players they have traded for have been mixed in terms of success. Hannebery, Hill and Crouch have been overpaid, while Ryder, Jones, Butler and Howard have been good value. Now they look to be stuck in no-mans land without enough top end talent. Carlton look like going down a similar path but have landed better top end talent via the draft and will surely be better organised defensively than under Teague.

AFL premierships are hard to win for all clubs, particularly for non-destination clubs in Victoria. But the success of the Dees and Dogs shows that history doesn't have to repeat. Steele, Howard, Gresham, Marshall, Clark and King are all young enough to build around but only if they hit on their picks. IMO they should be patient and look to win it in 2023. It is probably going to take two years to acquire enough talent to go all the way.

Crouch isn't overpaid he's not on big dollars.

Hill yes, Hanners yes but he did take significant pay cut off his own bat for 2022.

Mayo in Gaelic Football would be a lot more heartbreaking. 11 All-Ireland finals in my life time (since 1989) and they have lost all of them, every single one. Some of them in downright bizarre circumstances too, e.g scoring multiple own goals to turn a handy second half lead into a draw and losing replay. Poor deluded feckers still think each year is their year to win ‘Sam’.
I feel for Mayo. Probably only a Pies fan could.
Collingwood had to agonise through 9 unsuccessful Grand Finals before breaking through in 1990.
Many just as bizzare as anything County Mayo in Ireland has been through.
1964. 4 point loss. A back pocket player 100m out of position kicked the winning goal. His only goal for the year!
1966. 1 point loss
1970. 44 points up, but still lose
1977. Draw the Grand Final. Lose the replay.
1979. 5 point loss. Wayne Harmes
1980. Make GF, but out classed
1981. Leading Gf at 3/4, but lose again

Plus
1965. Lose Second Semi by 1 point
1969. Minor Premiers, but lose both finals
1972. Double chance, lose both finals.
1973. Lose Prelim after being 45 point up
1975. Lose Elimination Final by 5 points
1978. Lose Prelim 12 points

Between 1958 and 1990,
Collingwood made the finals 21 times for 0 flags.
Twenty one times in a row they failed.
Within the 21 finals failures, 12 times they had the Double Chance.
I do feel for the Saints, but good grief footy can be cruel.

Last edited:
I feel for Mayo. Probably only a Pies fan could.
Collingwood had to agonise through 9 unsuccessful Grand Finals before breaking through in 1990.
Many just as bizzare as anything County Mayo in Ireland has been through.
1964. 4 point loss. A back pocket player 100m out of position kicked the winning goal. His only goal for the year!
1966. 1 point loss
1970. 44 points up, but still lose
1977. Draw the Grand Final. Lose the replay.
1979. 5 point loss. Wayne Harmes
1980. Make GF, but out classed
1981. Leading Gf at 3/4, but lose again

Plus
1965. Lose Second Semi by 1 point
1969. Minor Premiers, but lose both finals
1972. Double chance, lose both finals.
1973. Lose Prelim after being 45 point up
1975. Lose Elimination Final by 5 points
1978. Lose Prelim 12 points

Between 1958 and 1990,
Collingwood made the finals 21 times for 0 flags.
Twenty one times in a row they failed.
Within the 21 finals failures, 12 times they had the Double Chance.
I do feel for the Saints, but good grief footy can be cruel.
Geewizz.
What a sad tale when presented like that. I felt a minor welling up, but fortunately forced it back down.

Saints fans deserve some reward for sticking with their side through the lean times. The 80s must have been really rough, with the exception of watching the Plugger show
Not just the Plugger show But we've had some absolute stars over the years. In my time, Barker Winmar Harvey Burke Lowe. into the class of 09/10. Feel sorry for us if you want, I want a flag as much as the next bloke, but I've seen my team make 3 GF's in 2 separate list builds since the dark days of the 80's.

How many of them are Premiership players?

That's not really the point is it, some clubs have achieved a lot with free f/s picks, whilst other clubs get free academy or NGA picks. We at StKilda have had 1 F/S in over 15yrs and 0 NGA/Academy ( one of only 5 clubs in the league without academy/NGA kids on their list). (Dogs about to get 2 players in top 5 in consecutive drafts/ Sydney 2 Academy picks last year alone) When you have to suffer (when I say suffer, I mean watch your picks get shuffled back time and again as kids get bid on, and not see the same reward) through all that whilst trying to build a competitive list, its just that much harder isn't it.

Now we are about to finally see some NGA kids come through, the rules are changing and we may not get a chance to get one of our kids......

St Kilda is a foundation club so worthy of support. Hawthorn built multiple dynasties out of an ability to make good decisions. That was the foundation of their success. The Saints have done the opposition - and one has to look no further than its cataclysmic decision to recruit Hanneberry (and indeed, Hill) at big bucks. There was a point in time when I thought to myself: "St Kilda should make a decision and then do the complete opposite." Change this dynamic and there is no reason why St Kilda cannot end the drought. And after all, one genuine St Kilda supporter is worth 5000 equivalents from the Eagles.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back