Prediction Who fills the fullback position in 2022?

Who fills the fullback role in 2022?

• Marchbank

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Young

Votes: 84 57.5%
  • McDonald

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • McGovern

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I'm excited to see what Young can do, he's 22 so just out of the developing stage, good size and outstanding mark. Great opportunity for him. We really need to nail down the third tall defender role. Plowman as a makeshift third tall defender has been a massive weak spot for us for years. Get McGovern, Marchbank or Parks into our defence and it makes a big difference and helps out our key position players. I'm all for trying to get McGovern and Marchbank in as pack pockets and go with a tall and quick defence, it seems to be what wins premierships and would help out someone like Young a lot.

I think we have our key defenders in Weitering and Young. McDonald is good solid backup and who knows, he may out play young for a spot, there is no doubt he has ability.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Young, with OMac as a back up, but prefer one of them is a relief 2nd KPF/ruckman to TDK.

But please, can we stop with the likes of Gov, Marchbank as KPD options, they will only ever be 3rd talls
Marchbank has equal or better stats (intercepts , rebounds etc. and has a higher disposal efficiency) comparatively in his 38 games than Jones apparently (saw it quoted somewhere).

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
It depends on whether you want to “replace” Jones, or just need a full back.
These options are very different.

Jones played on instinct. Hence he was prone to the odd stupid mistake. But his mistakes were far outweighed by his confidence in himself, and his ability, to win back the footy for his team. He wasn’t afraid for his spot in the team, his mistakes were always him being positive/proactive, never in two minds, never from inaction. He never left the field wondering. That type of mentality is almost impossible to “replace”. If we want a “Jones type”, a like for like, it can only be Gov. He’d be the only one with that type of mentality.

On the other hand, if we’re just looking for a full back. Then let’s train one up. We obviously have options. Pick one and teach him to own the full back position. That’s why we have coaches.
Maybe you can call him and remind him of this and get him to change his mind when he realizes he's irreplaceable!

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Marchbank has equal or better stats (intercepts , rebounds etc. and has a higher disposal efficiency) comparatively in his 38 games than Jones apparently (saw it quoted somewhere).

Against the likes of genuine KPFs and resting ruckmen, Dixon/Marshall/Lycett, Big O/JD/Hipwood, Hawkins/Esava/Ceglar/Stanley, etc?

Let's assume one of Weitering or Young are injured, the other takes one of these guys, Marchbank has to take another. Perhaps he can strap some milk crates to his boots

MacDonald would be a better option than Marchbank

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly easy to forget how good he was before he got injured.
He's a star, he just needs to get his body right
A star? He had a promising 2017 - his first year with Carlton. 16 games, managed a Rising Star nom. But even in this, his best year in an injury-riddled career, he didn't finish top-10 in the B&F of a team that finished 16th (I can't find more detail than the top-10 placegetters).

It's now 2.5 years since he played a match. I don't want to burst your bubble, but to be blunt, it's not a matter of when he gets back, it's 'if'.

I hope like hell he does get his body right, but I'm not gonna count on it. And if he does, I don't see him as the saviour of our defence. If he can do enough to earn a new contract, that's a win in my book.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think there's a few people here with rose-coloured glasses when it comes to Marchy. I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
A star? He had a promising 2017 - his first year with Carlton. 16 games, managed a Rising Star nom. But even in this, his best year in an injury-riddled career, he didn't finish top-10 in the B&F of a team that finished 16th (I can't find more detail than the top-10 placegetters).

It's now 2.5 years since he played a match. I don't want to burst your bubble, but to be blunt, it's not a matter of when he gets back, it's 'if'.

I hope like hell he does get his body right, but I'm not gonna count on it. And if he does, I don't see him as the saviour of our defence. If he can do enough to earn a new contract, that's a win in my book.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think there's a few people here with rose-coloured glasses when it comes to Marchy. I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.
He may have played his most games in 2017 but that doesn't mean he didn't show plenty in the games he played in 2018-19.

When he has played he has shown himself to be a very good player. That's a fact.
Both the stats and game footage will show that.

Obviously the big question mark is on his body. Agree with that.
We all hope and pray the body comes good. But it's an established fact that he is a very talented player.
And btw not finishing top 10 B and F doesn't show very much.
How many players (besides for guys like Sam Walsh) finish top 10 in first year with only 16 games??

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He may have played his most games in 2017 but that doesn't mean he didn't show plenty in the games he played in 2018-19.

When he has played he has shown himself to be a very good player. That's a fact.
Both the stats and game footage will show that.

Obviously the big question mark is on his body. Agree with that.
We all hope and pray the body comes good. But it's an established fact that he is a very talented player.
And btw not finishing top 10 B and F doesn't show very much.
How many players (besides for guys like Sam Walsh) finish top 10 in first year with only 16 games??
It was his third season of football. And how else would you measure a players worth? I think he has talent. I think he's showed promise. But I don't think he's anywhere near a 'star'. Wouldn't even call him a 'very good player' - yet. But that's all objective, and you see him differently. Fine. Hope you're right.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
It was his third season of football. And how else would you measure a players worth? I think he has talent. I think he's showed promise. But I don't think he's anywhere near a 'star'. Wouldn't even call him a 'very good player' - yet. But that's all objective, and you see him differently. Fine. Hope you're right.
True it was his third season but he had only played 7 games before that (think he had a long term injury at GWS also), hence his eligibility for rising star then also.
You measure a players worth with stats and and KPI'S.
He also played 13 games in 2019 before getting injured, was quite good also.
Agree with you he may not be a star (yet) but he has proven to be a very good player in limited appearances.

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Isnt that subjective?

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Marchbank even had a limited TAC career - his problem has been continuity - if he becomes a solid contributor for us going forward it will be a bonus, if he becomes a star we’ve won the lottery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Whatever happened to Kieran Collins, big wraps on him as being able to partner with Weiterbot in their draft year... failed at Bullies etc.. how's he tracking these days?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Who are some key position options to replace Jones? I reckon we might consider Lienart from Port Adelaide.
There someone with similar name to Allir in SANFL that maybe worth a shot.
Guess we could also use pick 64 in the National Draft to re-draft Levi Casboult to play key defence this season. Unlikely but still an option I would think.
It more likely we just wait to supplemental selection period in summer to decide on some mature age option to train with us and go that way.
I think there someone I heard from Williamstown that was good in key defence but cannot recall what name he was.
Turned out those guys whose names I could not recall been picked up anyway.
Leek Alleer and Charlie Dean were the guys from SANFL and VFL at least worth giving a go but as it turns out was never a chance as other clubs had eyes on them anyway, a lot more than I thought at the time of my post.
We decided to stick to not using pick 64 as we committed to upgrading Kennedy and Josh Honey and AFL were never going to give us an extra live pick in draft. Seemed weird to think we could not get a pick in pre-season draft at least but it was a retirement so I got no problem with AFL not opening up a can of worms that clubs could use as loophole in future.
Anyway, Rory Thompson was picked up by Gold Coast in pre-season draft so we back to square one and his injuries probably meant we could not afford another injury history type when we been dealing with Marchbank and a few others already.

Can we get Rory Thompson....

2021 AFL PRE-SEASON DRAFT

1. Gold Coast Suns
– Rory Thompson (key defender, Gold Coast AFL)

Call Michael Hartley
Thompson is a far better player but has been injury prone and is 30 ish.

Hartley would be break glass only...

I reckon Hartley of the two is more realistic... he's already in Melbs, would cost nothing in salary and would have no expectations that he is anything other than emergency cover.

But if we need cover there must be someone running around in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc that is ready to play and has more potential upside than either.
What size is Hartley, seen he just signed with Seymour.
If we’re looking for an internal replacement then Marchbank, OMac, Young and McGovern should be trialled.

External replacements to look at:
-Leek Alleer

-Marty Hore

-Rance (for 1-2 years) I’d be throwing the kitchen sink at him even from a development perspective. Offer a transition to coaching role afterwards if required.

-Alternatively I’d be trying to get a ready made mature state league player similar to what Brody Mihocek was as a rookie

I'd look into Marty Hore, but once again, if we do it a real gamble as he had injuries. I probably see him more a half back flanker in Kenny Hunter style but I would give it a crack even to just get him on list as his upside maybe the best of those not listed right now. He does not address the full back problem but if Lewis Young can take that, I'd still be ok getting Hore on list via SPP.

But if just going ready made mature body types that been playing footy, it probably is a type like a Jackson Trengove, Jack Redpath, Mason Shaw, Johnathon Marsh, Sam Durdin, John Butcher or Blake Schlenslong types that not long out of the AFL system. You would have to look up where they all been playing and how they been going to decide on which ones to invite to pre-season training.

We just went out and got lewis young when we had jones in the system. Either the club had an incling about jones' vax stance and got young in as collateral. Or what im lead to believe is more likely that jones' decision has hit the club for 6 and theyll need to draft someone. Players I can think of:

Charlie Dean - 195cm 20yo KPD, melbourne
Blake Schlenslog - 199cm 21yo, in the WAFL from geelong
Alex Rance - sounds nice but cant see him even remotely looking at playing again

Dean went early in rookie draft.

2021 AFL ROOKIE DRAFT

Round 1

1. North Melbourne – Jared Polec (North Melbourne AFL)

2. Collingwood – Charlie Dean (tall defender, Williamstown VFL)

3. Gold Coast Suns – Levi Casboult (tall forward-ruck, Carlton AFL)

you seem to be overlooking all the calls this year for better backline depth...........
Exactly. We needed more key defender depth on list even before Jones surprisingly decided to retire.

Hugh Goddard, Harrison Macreadie and Ben Silvagni de-listed previous off season and never addressed in last trade period or drafts.

We ended up getting Oscar McDonald in last pre-season (SPP) but he was really more about the fact we had Charlie Curnow still injured and Kruezer retired and he had basically been de-listed by Melbourne as key defender so was picked up by Carlton probably more for utility tall up forward and ruck to cover for no Kruezer and Curnow at start of last season.

It sadly been a long line of key positions options we could have hoped as supporters one or two worked out in last decade.....

Any of Mark Austin, Cameron Giles, Matthew Watson, Jayden Foster, Pat McCarthy, Jesse Glass-McCasker or Jaksch developed as key defenders properly would have seen us in a better position now with key defence options. Jones was basically tried down there after failing up forward. This not tried enough before de-listing with some key forward types. It worked with Rowe and Jones and probably could have been tried on a Luke Mitchell or Patrick Kerr type too but we are here today with Weitering the only definite key defender in senior team at start of 2022. Thank God he has been a gun and going to be for rest of this decade.

No idea why some think we can replace Jones next season with a draftee, unless we win the lottery, any key defender will take years to cement themselves as an established AFL player, it’s not going to be easy to get it right, but there is good players in the lower leagues that could transition to a key defensive role.

The year we were gifted two state league players, GC took Collins, in his second season he won the B&F, Freo recruited Ryan from the VFL and he was AA by his 4th season.

Our best hope to get cover for Jones is getting in a mature player and not reaching at the draft.

Lets just hope we nail the picks

Picks in national draft were not going to be used on key defender. The only way it would have if we got an extra pick from AFL which was about 100 to 1 odds when asked.
I'm hoping Rory Thompson if he physically right to play again.
If not him, then probably some other mature key defender from SPP or Lewis Young.

Now drafts done and some options removed for SPP, I still think it most likely Lewis Young is the other key defender to partner Wieters
How about signing up Patty McCartin as a delisted free agent ??? Liam Jones was a failed forward turn backman. Josh Schache has had some success being moved back after being recruited as a forward. I would think McCartin would be more competitive than Schache and could be turned into a decent backman, as long as his concussion issues (and T1D) are under control

I read that Sydney are looking at putting him on as a Rookie, so how about if we get in 1st and sign him as a DFA?

I believe Sydney will get him to train with them in SPP so I think we missed that boat anyway.

What about Jarrod Leinert - delisted by Port. Late pick should do it.
Leinert never caught my eye so not overly keen but if invited to pre-season training as one of five or six tall defender types , fair enough.

I think young can come in and play a lockdown role similar to Harry petty at Melbourne nothing fancy just gets the job done
Oscar McDonald played back his whole career at dees could fill that role
Do we now use our pick 25 on a mature age like Leek Alleer or Charlie Dean?

McDonald was a failed key defender. I think he came to Carlton more with idea of trying out as ruck/tall forward utility and not to be a key defende.
With Jones gone, he might have to revisit it if Young or Weiters were to go down.

Bret Thornton or Luke Livingston for me, probably leaning towards Thornton.
Luke Mitchell also says hi.
Long gone all of them and out of system way too long.

Out for the 2022 season with a foot injury

A shame Daniel Talia could not be a back up option as not too old.
Wonder what his bro Michael Talia up to these days?

Just pick up Blake Schlensog. A late bloomer. Right size and right weight. Plenty of athleticism.

I suspect he invited to training by us or some other club in SPP.

Why recruit Young then?
We needed another tall defender as coverage even when we had Jones

Exactly. Hugh Goddard, Macreadie and Ben Silvagni should have been replaced by at least one in previous trades, DFA or draft period or kept at least one of them and kept developing.

What's Aisake doing these days?

Up on the Murray I would imagine.

Rory Thompson anyone? Pre injuries he was about the best in the league.

Just need to do a greenwood on the sun's (again)

Yeah, if we did it, had to be in Delisted Free Agency period but I suspect his injury history scared our list management team too much, which fair enough given we still got other injured guys like Marchbank to get through pre-season.
If he was ahead of Marchbank in recovery I would have been willing to take the risk as he probably the best full back type if he actually playing.

nah i know we needed more depth, im saying we went for more depth before jones left, so anyone suggesting that we dont need to replace him because of marchbank OMAC etc i think is wrong. Thats why a charlie dean would be a smart move imo. We were 1-2 defenders short before jones left, now we are 2-3 short
Getting a mature aged types plus Charlie Dean would have been the best way to go but Dean we could not get as he was always going to go in draft as other clubs with picks before us in rookie draft were going to take him.

I think we now just got to look far and wide.
Some of talls that got no idea what they doing now or planning to do but were in AFL system and we at least should give a call on phone are:

Sam Siggins
Sam Michael
Michael Talia
Justin Clarke
Fraser McInnes
John Butcher
Jack Watts
Spencer White
Jack Redpath
Sam Durdin
Jack Hombsch
Jackson Trengove
Xavier Richards
John Marsh
Kaiden Brand
Logan Austin
Pat Kerr
Jon Patton
Nathan Vardy
Kieran Collins
Matthew Hammelmann

Is that the biggest post ever?..
yep - tried posting this morning and nothing, all letters used up by ff78 - had to use my frequent typer points with IBM to refill the keyboard......

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Turned out those guys whose names I could not recall been picked up anyway.
Leek Alleer and Charlie Dean were the guys from SANFL and VFL at least worth giving a go but as it turns out was never a chance as other clubs had eyes on them anyway, a lot more than I thought at the time of my post.
We decided to stick to not using pick 64 as we committed to upgrading Kennedy and Josh Honey and AFL were never going to give us an extra live pick in draft. Seemed weird to think we could not get a pick in pre-season draft at least but it was a retirement so I got no problem with AFL not opening up a can of worms that clubs could use as loophole in future.
Anyway, Rory Thompson was picked up by Gold Coast in pre-season draft so we back to square one and his injuries probably meant we could not afford another injury history type when we been dealing with Marchbank and a few others already.

2021 AFL PRE-SEASON DRAFT

1. Gold Coast Suns
– Rory Thompson (key defender, Gold Coast AFL)

I'd look into Marty Hore, but once again, if we do it a real gamble as he had injuries. I probably see him more a half back flanker in Kenny Hunter style but I would give it a crack even to just get him on list as his upside maybe the best of those not listed right now. He does not address the full back problem but if Lewis Young can take that, I'd still be ok getting Hore on list via SPP.

But if just going ready made mature body types that been playing footy, it probably is a type like a Jackson Trengove, Jack Redpath, Mason Shaw, Johnathon Marsh, Sam Durdin, John Butcher or Blake Schlenslong types that not long out of the AFL system. You would have to look up where they all been playing and how they been going to decide on which ones to invite to pre-season training.

Dean went early in rookie draft.

2021 AFL ROOKIE DRAFT

Round 1

1. North Melbourne – Jared Polec (North Melbourne AFL)

2. Collingwood – Charlie Dean (tall defender, Williamstown VFL)

3. Gold Coast Suns – Levi Casboult (tall forward-ruck, Carlton AFL)

Exactly. We needed more key defender depth on list even before Jones surprisingly decided to retire.

Hugh Goddard, Harrison Macreadie and Ben Silvagni de-listed previous off season and never addressed in last trade period or drafts.

We ended up getting Oscar McDonald in last pre-season (SPP) but he was really more about the fact we had Charlie Curnow still injured and Kruezer retired and he had basically been de-listed by Melbourne as key defender so was picked up by Carlton probably more for utility tall up forward and ruck to cover for no Kruezer and Curnow at start of last season.

It sadly been a long line of key positions options we could have hoped as supporters one or two worked out in last decade.....

Any of Mark Austin, Cameron Giles, Matthew Watson, Jayden Foster, Pat McCarthy, Jesse Glass-McCasker or Jaksch developed as key defenders properly would have seen us in a better position now with key defence options. Jones was basically tried down there after failing up forward. This not tried enough before de-listing with some key forward types. It worked with Rowe and Jones and probably could have been tried on a Luke Mitchell or Patrick Kerr type too but we are here today with Weitering the only definite key defender in senior team at start of 2022. Thank God he has been a gun and going to be for rest of this decade.

Picks in national draft were not going to be used on key defender. The only way it would have if we got an extra pick from AFL which was about 100 to 1 odds when asked.

Now drafts done and some options removed for SPP, I still think it most likely Lewis Young is the other key defender to partner Wieters

I believe Sydney will get him to train with them in SPP so I think we missed that boat anyway.

Leinert never caught my eye so not overly keen but if invited to pre-season training as one of five or six tall defender types , fair enough.

McDonald was a failed key defender. I think he came to Carlton more with idea of trying out as ruck/tall forward utility and not to be a key defende.
With Jones gone, he might have to revisit it if Young or Weiters were to go down.

Luke Mitchell also says hi.
Long gone all of them and out of system way too long.

A shame Daniel Talia could not be a back up option as not too old.
Wonder what his bro Michael Talia up to these days?

I suspect he invited to training by us or some other club in SPP.

Exactly. Hugh Goddard, Macreadie and Ben Silvagni should have been replaced by at least one in previous trades, DFA or draft period or kept at least one of them and kept developing.

Up on the Murray I would imagine.

Yeah, if we did it, had to be in Delisted Free Agency period but I suspect his injury history scared our list management team too much, which fair enough given we still got other injured guys like Marchbank to get through pre-season.
If he was ahead of Marchbank in recovery I would have been willing to take the risk as he probably the best full back type if he actually playing.

Getting a mature aged types plus Charlie Dean would have been the best way to go but Dean we could not get as he was always going to go in draft as other clubs with picks before us in rookie draft were going to take him.

I think we now just got to look far and wide.
Some of talls that got no idea what they doing now or planning to do but were in AFL system and we at least should give a call on phone are:

Sam Siggins
Sam Michael
Michael Talia
Justin Clarke
Fraser McInnes
John Butcher
Jack Watts
Spencer White
Jack Redpath
Sam Durdin
Jack Hombsch
Jackson Trengove
Xavier Richards
John Marsh
Kaiden Brand
Logan Austin
Pat Kerr
Jon Patton
Nathan Vardy
Kieran Collins
Matthew Hammelmann

#TLDR

Harcourt

Draftee
Aug 19, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Against the likes of genuine KPFs and resting ruckmen, Dixon/Marshall/Lycett, Big O/JD/Hipwood, Hawkins/Esava/Ceglar/Stanley, etc?

Let's assume one of Weitering or Young are injured, the other takes one of these guys, Marchbank has to take another. Perhaps he can strap some milk crates to his boots

MacDonald would be a better option than Marchbank

Wasnt Marchbank 196 cm when he joined us if I remember correctly . People keep quoting him at 193 . He has not really shown much other than as an intercept but isnt that the job of development coaches to develop one on one skills .
Also i think KPD can have different styles and still be equally as good .

Back