Prediction Who finishes highest out of Freo, St Kilda and Sydney in 2020?

Who finishes highest?

• Fremantle

Votes: 70 40.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 75 43.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Hearing that Freo are getting hit hard by injuries at the moment.

So who's injured and how long are they expected to be out for?
Hamling and Pearce are out. Thats our CHB and FB. So that sucks. I dont know how long though. Wilson is injured too which is a reliable small defender that is a reliable kick.

Hogan out isnt good either, but we got other tall forwards. We have Depth in the tall forward department. The quality is another story.

Lobb, Tarberner, McCarthy and Cox are all capable of kicking 30 goals each. I can see at least 2 of those blokes do that if they play all 22 games.

Waiting for the season to start. You usually find out by tuesday or wednesday night on the injury list.

Trust is the issue here.
Sydney is a good football club, the kind you’d invest in.
Let’s just say St.Kilda and Fremantle haven’t earnt that trust as football clubs ...

Fair call re the Saints over the last couple of years (if they had won in 2009 club would have cred......is the one that still burns me).

Same could be said of Carlton over the last 10 years.

Proof will be over the season, if the Saints youngsters including Clark, Coffield, King, Battle, Gresham, Marshall, Bytel develop and play the way the club expects along with having Hill, Butler, Hannebury (can classify as a new recruit), Howard gel with group they should have a good season.

No doubt it is never boring being a Saints supporter. This time of year can bring some unfounded confidence for all clubs but I have confidence this year they should do better than Freo but I can never discount the Swans as they continually bring youngsters through their list and are competitive.

Bring on the footy......pre season is dragging on

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair call re the Saints over the last couple of years (if they had won in 2009 club would have cred......is the one that still burns me).

Proof will be over the season, if the Saints youngsters including Clark, Coffield, King, Battle, Gresham, Marshall, Bytel develop and play the way the club expects along with having Hill, Butler, Hannebury (can classify as a new recruit), Howard gel with group they should have a good season.

No doubt it is never boring being a Saints supporter. This time of year can bring some unfounded confidence for all clubs but I have confidence this year they should do better than Freo but I can never discount the Swans as they continually bring youngsters through their list and are competitive.

No trust in Freo either!!

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Freo have a decent 22 it's injuries that are the issue
What for the last 10 years!! Every club has injuries. It's the depth to cover them. I have both west coast and Dockers memberships. I often find it hard to find a taker for the Freo games!!!

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
What for the last 10 years!! Every club has injuries. It's the depth to cover them. I have both west coast and Dockers memberships. I often find it hard to find a taker for the Freo games!!!

Fair point about teams need to have depth to cover injuries.

Here’s a query, how would you be feeling if it was announced that McGovern & Hurn will be out for the first 4 / 5 weeks ?. I think as a good supporter that you would think that just opens the door for 2 other players to take the opportunity BUT at the same time you would be a bit worried about losing these valuable players.

I just want improvement by Freo across the ground this season, no big deal about finals, but improvement going into 2021 is my aim.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Couldn't find takers in 2018 or 2019, unless they supported the away team!!

This is where I’ve seen a major change from the days when the WAFL was king in WA, to now with the AFL.

When the WAFL was on, if your mates said do you want to go to the footy, you’d say yair, go for a drink and just watch the footy, even if your team wasn’t playing. That’s the reason I got to see so many South Freo games, with TI, Maurice & Benny weaving their Magic, even though I’m a Black Duck.

Nowadays we have moved more to a “theatre” crowd, picking and choosing which games they go to. Fair enough if good teams draw local crowds, success breeds success.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair point about teams need to have depth to cover injuries.

Here’s a query, how would you be feeling if it was announced that McGovern & Hurn will be out for the first 4 / 5 weeks ?. I think as a good supporter that you would think that just opens the door for 2 other players to take the opportunity BUT at the same time you would be a bit worried about losing these valuable players.

I just want improvement by Freo across the ground this season, no big deal about finals, but improvement going into 2021 is my aim.
I think that West Coast currently have enough depth if that was the case. Not with the same experience. Watson and Nelson Cole or Rotham.
In regards to Freo, I think that this year may see some improvement through the midfield with Cerra and Brayshaw and of course the usual munday and Fyfe, but feel they still don't quite have the cattle.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
This is where I’ve seen a major change from the days when the WAFL was king in WA, to now with the AFL.

When the WAFL was on, if your mates said do you want to go to the footy, you’d say yair, go for a drink and just watch the footy, even if your team wasn’t playing. That’s the reason I got to see so many South Freo games, with TI, Maurice & Benny weaving their Magic, even though I’m a Black Duck.

Nowadays we have moved more to a “theatre” crowd, picking and choosing which games they go to. Fair enough if good teams draw local crowds, success breeds success.
I am also a black duck supporter. Go swannies

I would have said Fremantle a month ago but the news on Hogan, Pearce and Hamling brings them back a fair bit as their KPP stocks are thin.
The Saints are just to much of an unknown for me so I went Sydney.
The Swans have this uncanny knack of finding players from oblivion that came in and do their job.

Buddy obviously a big variable in how high the Swans finish.

Not a lot in it for me but I went with the side thats been more consistent over the last few years ..... bit I have voted Sydney with not a lot of confidence.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Absolutely you can say the same about Carlton and for a longer period than 10 years.

I voted for the Saints here, but not with any real confidence.

the question for me about St Kilda is whether they are really in the position to go after players like Hill and sacrifice their draft hand in doing so. Do they have enough young talent pushing through to go down this path? They are playing against the odds of trying to catch the genuine contenders and not really accessing the draft like other bottom teams. It just feels like a “no man’s land” type strategy.

I do like some of their youth though. Hunter Clark is absolute class with ball in hand, I think he is going to become a gun. I’m also a big Gresham fan and Marshall’s rise was huge last year.

Absolutely you can say the same about Carlton and for a longer period than 10 years.

I voted for the Saints here, but not with any real confidence.

the question for me about St Kilda is whether they are really in the position to go after players like Hill and sacrifice their draft hand in doing so. Do they have enough young talent pushing through to go down this path? They are playing against the odds of trying to catch the genuine contenders and not really accessing the draft like other bottom teams. It just feels like a “no man’s land” type strategy.

I do like some of their youth though. Hunter Clark is absolute class with ball in hand, I think he is going to become a gun. I’m also a big Gresham fan and Marshall’s rise was huge last year.

Good post Parapmarkets.

Saints have been hitting the draft for a while now as a middle / lower ranked team. No doubt they have taken a risk trading is players like Butler, Jones, Howard, Ryder and Hill in one season.

Drafting in Gresham, Coffield, Clark, Bytel, Byrnes, Battle, Philips, Marshall, Long and King over the last couple of years should mitigate that risk to a degree. If they develop the team should develop.

Also they list is still young so there is scope for development

roz1812

Debutant
Mar 14, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
St Kilda for me, Fremantle I think will be on the right track now Lyon is gone but they have too many injuries to key personnel. Sydney will continue to struggle this season imo. St Kilda were only a couple of games out of the 8 last season and they have added some quality to their squad over the off season. I think they are a real shot to make finals under Ratten.

Back