Prediction Who finishes highest out of Freo, St Kilda and Sydney in 2020?

Who finishes highest?

• Fremantle

Votes: 70 40.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 75 43.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Seems like Franklin's body is faltering right at the finish line.
If he could manage 18+ games, Sydney should finish highest but it appears he may not even get to 14 games.

Can't take Fremantle either. Loss of Hill is telling. They couldn't replace Lachie Neale from the year before either so two ball magnets of the highest order gone.

Saints it is :thumbsu:
fancy you said that.

Yeah we lost Lachie neale but made the best of a bad situation getting picks out of him and used those picks to get a need in Jesse hogan.

Losing Brad Hill does hurt, Hell he helped us get over the line in a few close games. Dont get me wrong, I think we can manage. Getting Blake Acres might be a good move. We could even play him on the wing.

Outside mids consist of Stephen Hill, James Aish, Darcy Tucker and Stefan Giro.

Inside mids are Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Conca. Some young kids in Banfield, Brayshaw crowden and Cerra. To be Fair, Cerra can play both inside mid and outside mid, hence why we used pick 5 in the 2017 draft on him.

So overall, I dont think the midfield isnt too bad.

Again, Forward line isnt too bad. This side kicked 21 goals vs North in round 1 last season despite hogan being suspended.

Also, Freo beat your mob in perth last year despite a forward line of Sean Darcy, our main ruckman as the only tall up forward, walters and matera in the forward pockets and 3 mids to fill the rest of the forward line.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Fremantle were in the top 8 until after the mid year bye last year and a realistic chance to finish in the top 8 right up until the last 2 to 3 rounds (realistic as in they only had to beat teams around them on the ladder, not realistic as in they were a burnt out husk of a team by that stage).

New coach means it's all up in the air but even though it would take a seriously good injury run to make the finals there is every chance they can improve on 13th im(biased)o.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
fancy you said that.

Yeah we lost Lachie neale but made the best of a bad situation getting picks out of him and used those picks to get a need in Jesse hogan.

Losing Brad Hill does hurt, Hell he helped us get over the line in a few close games. Dont get me wrong, I think we can manage. Getting Blake Acres might be a good move. We could even play him on the wing.

Outside mids consist of Stephen Hill, James Aish, Darcy Tucker and Stefan Giro.

Inside mids are Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Conca. Some young kids in Banfield, Brayshaw crowden and Cerra. To be Fair, Cerra can play both inside mid and outside mid, hence why we used pick 5 in the 2017 draft on him.

So overall, I dont think the midfield isnt too bad.

Again, Forward line isnt too bad. This side kicked 21 goals vs North in round 1 last season despite hogan being suspended.

Also, Freo beat your mob in perth last year despite a forward line of Sean Darcy, our main ruckman as the only tall up forward, walters and matera in the forward pockets and 3 mids to fill the rest of the forward line.

Mundy is old and won't be able to be the consistent bull he has been renown for. The top teams today are similar sized but have youth on their side.
Conca is very average. In fact, I am very surprised a team took a punt on him. He's more depth than anything else.

It appears your list is made of similar types to Geelong's. Guys who never took their game to elite status at their previous club and got traded away.
Matera, Aish, Lobb are likened to Dahlhaus, Rohan and Stanley. Handy players but never consistent stars.

The reference about Fremantle beating Geelong . . . . you do realize Geelong are one of the softest teams in the competition right now?
Couple that with the fact Fremantle have always matched up well on us, many predicted we would lose that game (I certainly predicted a loss).

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Freo easy , have almost all the key pieces in place , a decent bunch of workman like players in their prime and a heap of growth left in the list

Will finish the season like a freight train and start 2021 as the 3rd or 4th flag favourite

giphy.gif

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Mundy is old and won't be able to be the consistent bull he has been renown for. The top teams today are similar sized but have youth on their side.
Conca is very average. In fact, I am very surprised a team took a punt on him. He's more depth than anything else.

It appears your list is made of similar types to Geelong's. Guys who never took their game to elite status at their previous club and got traded away.
Matera, Aish, Lobb are likened to Dahlhaus, Rohan and Stanley. Handy players but never consistent stars.

The reference about Fremantle beating Geelong . . . . you do realize Geelong are one of the softest teams in the competition right now?
Couple that with the fact Fremantle have always matched up well on us, many predicted we would lose that game (I certainly predicted a loss).
I dont care if Mundy plays every 2nd game and averages 20 disposals a game. As long as he contrubutes.

Conca is average but strangely was averaging around 20 disposals a game.

Then again, during the Ross Lyon years, Freo played average players like Matt De Boer, Nic Suban and Clancee Pearce each week.

Matera was never elite but on a good day he can make a differerence in Freo winning or Losing, same with Lobb. Aish is injury prone but talented.

As for freo beating Geelong that night. I didnt predict Freo to win. Hell freo were the underdogs in the UBET.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
At least with freo I can gauge where they might finish. I can see them get 7th or 8th spot if most cards fall our way.

I can see freo finishing as low as 17th with 6 wins if we get alot of injuries too. saying that. I say in between and finish 12th or 13th with 8-9 wins.

Saints could make finals off the back of some good trades, but if they get key players injured, the can get bottom 6 too.

Swans are over reliant on Buddy. Some say they might to a 2-4 year rebuild. But I can see them constest for finals too.

But WillHayward being the Ross Lyon lover that you are. There is no more Ross Lyon lol.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I want to raise one issue.
Everyone is using champion data's list rankings as a benchmark for comparing 2020 lists.

But if you look at their previous pre-season list rankings they weren't much chop.....

CHAMPION DATA’S 2019 AFL LIST RANKINGS (Tigers win flag easily v GWS)

1. Melbourne
  2. Adelaide
  3. Richmond
  4. Essendon
  5. Collingwood
  6. Geelong
  7. GWS Giants
  8. North Melbourne
  9. Hawthorn
  10. Brisbane
  11. West Coast
Champion Data's list ratings heading into 2018 ( Eagles win flag v Pies)
1. Sydney
2. Port Adelaide
3. Adelaide
4. GWS
5. Melbourne
6. Geelong
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Richmond
9. Hawthorn
10. Collingwood

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I want to raise one issue.
Everyone is using champion data's list rankings as a benchmark for comparing 2020 lists.

But if you look at their previous pre-season list rankings they weren't much chop

CHAMPION DATA’S 2019 AFL LIST RANKINGS (Tigers win flag easily)

1. Melbourne
  2. Adelaide
  3. Richmond
  4. Essendon
  5. Collingwood
  6. Geelong
  7. GWS Giants
  8. North Melbourne
  9. Hawthorn
  10. Brisbane
  11. West Coast
Champion Data's list ratings heading into 2018 ( Eagles win flag)
1. Sydney
2. Port Adelaide
3. Adelaide
4. GWS
5. Melbourne
6. Geelong
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Richmond
9. Hawthorn
10. Collingwood
well in 2018, freo had the worst list in the AFL yet finished 14th with 8 wins

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Two new coaches at least adds a sense of the unknown to the equation, but you would not think any of the
three sides would bother the top eight too much. All searching for a bit of identity and consistency, maybe
St Kilda at a pinch, but not with any confidence.
Obviously you have not bothered to look at the lists of the respective teams and the development of players.

Sydney have a very strong group of young players are very strong in all the needs of the modern game, height, pace and talent. They have some of the best disposers in the game now. If you include Gould and Stephens with Dawson, Hewett, Lloyd, Rampe, Franklin, Blakey, Aliir etc. They have shored up immediate gals by trading Brand, Taylor and Grey. Grey is a very underrated player misused by Port. I think Hinkley is an idiot quite frankly. Two really good players told they are not needed in Howard and Grey. What a *******.

Add to all the hullabaloo around buddy, who Swans do not need to play by the way, there is a beautiful balance. Lots of players have been blooded in the last five years so young players actually have games under their belt. Unlike the other two. Swans have the far superior talent as sell.

I don't think Swans are going to be in the bottom three. In fact I'd be very surprised if they did not fight it off for a tip Eight spot

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I did not expect such calm, confidence and complete faith in the direction that Sydney is taking the list.
Just about everyone is happy as hell, which is bizarre considering where we finished in 2019.
That said, we are no chance of playing finals in 2020. Absolute zero chance. Be lucky to win 6 games I reckon

No midfield. Injured KPF. Backline decimated. Very young list.
Forget us.

We'll still beat the Weagles though :thumbsu:
What absolute crap. Swans Will be vying form finals. You don't have enough faith

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
well in 2018, freo had the worst list in the AFL yet finished 14th with 8 wins

They didnt even have the Eagles in the top 10 in 2018....

They also seemed to have a boner for Melbourne and Adelaide...

Feels like their rankings have a 12 month lag. They need to some how modify their predictions. Their fwd predicions are basically last year's ladder.
Hardly rocket science...

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Haha, this one's so hard to predict that still no-one's willing to put in a vote, including me, lol!

(I'm planning on doing so once I've had a closer look at Sydney's list in particular, but with them so much of it comes down to how much Buddy plays. Their finishing position could vary by multiple places depending on how much he plays and how well he's going.)
In actual fact most of Sydney's wins last season did not involve Lance

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans for me, on the provisio that Buddy Franklin plays at least 17-ish games.
Lance did not play in many wins last season but the wins they got were mainly without him. The early part of the season was trying to get the mix right. Lance did well but we did not win. But after his injury young players stepped up and won games

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You guys have by far the most talented kid/future superstar of the three clubs mentioned (Nick Blakey), I am rather bullish about the Swans future prospects, more of your talented kids will get games in in 2020.

Swannies would be my value bet to make the 8 in 2020.
I agree with you. So much talent

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
yeah this is a tough one but my best guess is all 3 teams to have less wins than last year.
Saints 8 wins- a lot of new faces, it might take a while to gel it all together.
Swans 7 wins- developing some good kids but also has some aging stars, depth could be a serious issue for them.
Freo 6 wins- a new coach and plenty of kids on the list will likely mean its a development year for them.
What aging stars? Two, Kennedy and Franklin. The rest are young

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
your dreaming if freo get 17th. I call bastardization on that one
I agree and ask why were Carlton, Suns and Adelaide not considered in this scenario. Carlton have a weak list and lots of injuries. They finished below Sydney last year. Suns were last. Don't you think all the bottom sides need to be reviewed?

Speaking of bottoming out. I think Cats are close. They have far too many ancient players who no longer have the stamina. Selwood was actually sent to the forward line due to the fact he was getting caught with the ball so often. Why not a scenario about the ageing Cats?

Are Hawks tracking toward a new premiership or have they fallen for the the three card trick and opted for a team full of champions rather than a champion team?

Do Tigers have another premiership in them?

Are the West Coast actually better with Kelly? Do they have the cattle to get another one?

Essendon have problems with their forward set up. They lack forwards. With Daniher not in the equation. Who plays forward? Hooker? Then who plays back? Hurley? He is past it and so is Hurley

They also have major injury problems already

North have a great opportunity. But do they have the list?

Bullies looked great against the bottom sides last year. But maybe the better sides found them out. Yes they are in Premiership buying mode

Why were Melbourne not put with this group? They have very real problems. Their midfield in one faceted, inside and tough. They have no real outside options. They can't perform under intense pressure. Why not ask where the Dees will finish. I have them bottom four

Adelaide. How come you have not included Adelaide in this group. They are now developing a brand new list. They have either traded, delisted or retired their most experienced players. They have a new coach, with a totally new game plan, which means upheaval. Will they finish too eight. I doubt it and I don't think Nicks expects that either. He is a realist

So what is your point in just picking these three? I think Swans will vie for finals. Easy draw plus new very top end talent. Beware the attacking Swan.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I dont care if Mundy plays every 2nd game and averages 20 disposals a game. As long as he contrubutes.

Conca is average but strangely was averaging around 20 disposals a game.

Then again, during the Ross Lyon years, Freo played average players like Matt De Boer, Nic Suban and Clancee Pearce each week.

Matera was never elite but on a good day he can make a differerence in Freo winning or Losing, same with Lobb. Aish is injury prone but talented.

As for freo beating Geelong that night. I didnt predict Freo to win. Hell freo were the underdogs in the UBET.

So Matt De Boer is average or less? I think letting him go was one of the worst decisions you ever made. On par with letting Neil go. De Boer has done very well at GWS.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So Matt De Boer is average or less? I think letting him go was one of the worst decisions you ever made. On par with letting Neil go. De Boer has done very well at GWS.

Well We didnt let Lachie Neale go, he wanted out.

Of the experienced blokes we cut in 2016 out of Tendai Mzungu, Nick Suban, Clancee pearce, Matt Deboer and Michael Barlow, I would of kept Barlow for another year as he would of been a free agent and kept both Clancee Pearce and Matt Deboer as Depth when the kids were developed.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously you have not bothered to look at the lists of the respective teams and the development of players.
Yes I have, I have done every list in the competition and Sydney were a 6/10, St Kilda and Fremantle both
rated a 5.5/10, but as I said both have new coaches which can breathe new life into the game plan and
refresh the outlook of the playing group. John Longmire lost me when he said in the media that Lance
Franklin had only trained for about twenty minutes for the year and yet he continued to pick him, add that
to the tired Sydney game style and poor developmental opportunities in the NEAFL. Sydney nailed the
draft with the picks they had and have some promising young talent, but I think they would play better
football without the coach.

Back