Play Nice Who finishes highest out of Melbourne, Carlton and Gold Coast in 2020?

Who finishes highest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently Goodwin has attended the Hardwick school of how to turn your introvert career into an extrovert one and get the players on your side, in the off-season.

hardwick was never an introvert and the tigers dont have jack viney as a starting midfielder every week... he wouldnt get a game for them in fact given he can only play midfield.

hardwick was never an introvert and the tigers dont have jack viney as a starting midfielder every week... he wouldnt get a game for them in fact given he can only play midfield.
He can play from the rehab room as well sometimes even better.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Gold coast will finish last unless they grind out some home wins.

Remarkably I am dead split between Carlton and Demons. Carlton under interim coach teague had only 1 bad game in the last 10 or so games. How carlton played in the 2nd half of the season was no way near bottom 6 form.

Melbourne went from prelims to 17th with a combination of injuries and close defeats. Demons with a good injury run will make the 8 or contest it.

Melbourne - Between 4th and 10th.
Carlton - Between 9th and 14th.
Gold Coast - 18th.
This seems most likely for mine although I don't see the Suns getting the spoon [16th/17th].

Surely Melbourne will finish highest. Felt they mentally 'checked out' post the Eagles game and are much better than a 5 win team. If they can find their Jesse Hogan replacement, top 4 is realistic.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers

Have you ever seen him play... As a captain I wonder what we were thinking, but as a player he more than holds his own. A fit Jack would have 90% of your team pooing in their pants. Not a dig a Geelong, but the run through the brick wall mentally makes others walk a little taller, and scares the crap out of the others. He gets the ball, he uses it well, and scares other players... Probably should mention other stuff like kicking goals and injury, but you can do your own homework.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
What the Hell is that?

I have heard Joel Selwood trying to duck the head for free kicks but this is beyond rediculous

Someone better check the grassy knoll for a second shooter.

Selwood is going to be remembered for this type of thing. Such a pity given he's a genuinely hard at it player with talent.

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Melbournes worst enemy is themselves. Match it with top teams at times , then lose to a putrid bottom table team. Something about Goodwin, that makes me think they wont improve until he is gone. Cant coach. Still feel they lack a forward line since Hogan left.

Carlton will surprise. Their two key forwards having interrupted pre seasons hurts however. But feel like maybe that might be a blessing and make them even that more unpredictable up forward. Still leaves McGovern, Betts & Martin potentially to roam the forward line.

Gold Coast is gold coast , if anyone bets on them moving out of the bottom 4 , it would take a brave person

Dees - 15th
Carlton - 10th
Suns - 18th

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went Melbourne, but it was a bit of a coin flip between the them and Carlton. Both should be pushing finals but maybe Melbourne has the slightly more potential to push higher this year. Carlton are probably more a 2021 prospect for going up towards top 4.

Suns are probably another year on the bottom but hopefully a good increase in %. The kids look good they just probably need another year to start jumping off the bottom

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This seems most likely for mine although I don't see the Suns getting the spoon [16th/17th].

Surely Melbourne will finish highest. Felt they mentally 'checked out' post the Eagles game and are much better than a 5 win team. If they can find their Jesse Hogan replacement, top 4 is realistic.

I just think not enough people are giving our significant run of injuries and amount of best 22 players that had 18/19 offseason surgeries. Like I get it, one problem we still had was forward 50 entries. But still. If we can get our best 22 on the park for 60-75%+ of 2020, I rate our chances fairly highly. We've just got no depth.

stats.png

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Backing Melbourne in to play finals this year and i have no doubt i will regret it.

That list is too good not to be at the very least competing for a finals spot. I think a lot of it will come down to how they start the year, they have been proven to be mentally fragile at this stage and a poor start could snowball. If they start strongly though no reason why they can't match it with most teams, i liked what they did in the of season.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne for me. We had a shocker last year. Barely any midfielder did enough pre season on top of the likes of Tmac May Melksham Lever etc. then we copped injuries in season which just compounded things. There’s no excuses at this point as most players are getting through most of pre season. Also add Langdon who is the exact type we lack and Tomlinson who’ll also play a wing role and we will finish higher. If not Goodwin might be looking for a new job.
Carlton I like though. They have some real talent and are starting to get games into the players. Another year or two off.
Gold Coast who knows. Have some talent to work with but need to both develop and retIn the talent. Could be years off but are in a decent position.
I voted Carlton but there really was nothing in it between Melbourne and Carlton for me. I'm predicting a 9-12th spot for both teams this year. Gold Coast are a clear tier below the other two for at least another year

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Think Melbourne has a bigger range, they've shown they can make Top 4, they've also shown they can be bottom 4.

Carlton should continue to improve, maybe getting as much as 10 wins which puts them around the 10 - 14 region, Melbourne should really be making finals if they have a fit squad, and Gold Coast is pretty clearly the favourite for the spoon.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I voted Carlton but there really was nothing in it between Melbourne and Carlton for me. I'm predicting a 9-12th spot for both teams this year. Gold Coast are a clear tier below the other two for at least another year

Suspect a lot will centre around injuries, Carlton (imo) have more A grade and or potential A Grade talent on our list than The Dees, but Melbourne's list has significantly more depth/bats deeper.

Part of the Dees problems last season, a big injury toll notwithstanding, was Goodwin seemed to complicate the game plan far too much, and many plauers getting mixed messages/playing a differnt role every week.

He needs to simplify the week to week game plan, and give the players some semblance of continuity
Cannot see Goodwin surviving as coach if The Dees suffer a diabolical season again.

Suspect he is one of the coaches on the hot seat in 2020.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know these guys are being compared due to finishing in the bottom 3 spots, but I feel like a harder comparison to make would be if we included St Kilda or even Sydney instead of Gold Coast. Then we'd be comparing teams that arguably have scope to make top 8 if things went right, all have a relatively young list profile, but could all potentially face a bottom 4 finish if difficulties arise.

With Gold Coast, I just see no realistic scenario that they don't finish right near the bottom.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I know these guys are being compared due to finishing in the bottom 3 spots, but I feel like a harder comparison to make would be if we included St Kilda or even Sydney instead of Gold Coast. Then we'd be comparing teams that arguably have scope to make top 8 if things went right, all have a relatively young list profile, but could all potentially face a bottom 4 finish if difficulties arise.

With Gold Coast, I just see no realistic scenario that they don't finish right near the bottom.

Suns are a atill a season away from actually stating to see some real tangible improvement, but would hope they would suffer a Lot lesser beltings next season, but an injury free Rankine, Lukosius, with the additions of Rowell and Anderson should see some really exciting glimlses of their future

Pity they couldn't get Shaun Burgoyne over the line, no doubt he would have has a Hodge at he Lions type of leadership and impact there.

Back