Prediction Who finishes highest out of Tigers, Cats, Giants, Eagles & Lions in 2020

Who finishes highest out of

• Tigers

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Cats

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Eagles

Votes: 56 36.4%
  • Lions

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are finals included?
I feel like Eagles will finish top after the home and away and be premiers, but for the rest I reckon Tigers will make a deep finals run without necessarily finishing 2nd in the home and away.

Giants are top 4, and potentially premiers or runners up too. I reckon they finish 2nd.

Brisbane 5th-7th home and away,

Cats 4th - 8th but nowhere near the premiership. Propped up by wins in Geelong which will inflate their ladder position, then lose in finals.

I agree with where you think Geelong will finish this year, but propped up by wins in Geelong? Richmond played 13 games at their home ground in 2019 and Geelong only played 9 at GMHBA. You can't tell me Richmond don't have a home ground advantage when playing against Geelong at the G???

I agree with where you think Geelong will finish this year, but propped up by wins in Geelong? Richmond played 13 games at their home ground in 2019 and Geelong only played 9 at GMHBA. You can't tell me Richmond don't have a home ground advantage when playing against Geelong at the G???
Not referencing finals, but in the home and away Geelong are almost impossible to beat at a unique home ground that no other team shares and they barely play on so lack familiarity. So in the H&A it's a bigger advantage than Tigers playing at the MCG often against co tenants or other sides that play very regularly or also host home games there.

Generally this H&A advantage pushes them up a few ladder positions that they probably wouldn't get if they played at Etihad or MCG.
Ignoring finals, Geelong have a unique advantage in VIC as the only team with a standalone home ground.
Obviously once finals come they lose that, but I'm referencing ladder positions in the H&A.

Not referencing finals, but in the home and away Geelong are almost impossible to beat at a unique home ground that no other team shares and they barely play on so lack familiarity. So in the H&A it's a bigger advantage than Tigers playing at the MCG often against co tenants or other sides that play very regularly or also host home games there.

Generally this H&A advantage pushes them up a few ladder positions that they probably wouldn't get if they played at Etihad or MCG.
Ignoring finals, Geelong have a unique advantage in VIC as the only team with a standalone home ground.
Obviously once finals come they lose that, but I'm referencing ladder positions in the H&A.

But then isn't that the same logic as saying Sydney have a unique home ground advantage because they play 11 home games at the SCG that's shaped like no other in the comp? And Brisbane at the Gabba? Because those grounds only have one AFL tenant, but that never gets spoken about because they're not in Victoria. Why do Geelong always get called out and criticised for having a home ground?

I respectfully disagree, Geelong have a good record at GMHBA because we play weak/struggling Melbourne teams there and interstate travel for any team in the AFL is difficult. For example we've played the Blues there the last two seasons and without trying to be disrespectful you would generally expect Geelong to beat Carlton on any ground in Australia. As soon as struggling Melbourne teams move up the ladder the games get moved to the MCG or Marvel the next season. Look at 2017 when we played the tiges down there, next season it's at the G. GWS beat us down there last season and they made the GF, good teams can win in Geelong but the fact is we just don't play strong teams often at GMHBA, which would explain why we have a good record at the ground.

When Geelong slide down the ladder again in the coming years we won't be hearing about this so called advantage again.

But then isn't that the same logic as saying Sydney have a unique home ground advantage because they play 11 home games at the SCG that's shaped like no other in the comp? And Brisbane at the Gabba? Because those grounds only have one AFL tenant, but that never gets spoken about because they're not in Victoria. Why do Geelong always get called out and criticised for having a home ground?
Because unlike interstate sides you are the only VIC side with a unique home ground. Combining home ground advantage with reduced travel (e.g. Cats arent flying to different states every second week).

Secondly, a lot of clubs infrequently play in Geelong, so when they do, they are less familair than if playing at the MCG or Etihad.

Thirdly, some pretty unique dimensions.

This all adds up to a great home and away advantage well and truly above other VIC clubs*

*Im aware this doesnt carry through to finals

Because unlike interstate sides you are the only VIC side with a unique home ground. Combining home ground advantage with reduced travel (e.g. Cats arent flying to different states every second week).

Secondly, a lot of clubs infrequently play in Geelong, so when they do, they are less familair than if playing at the MCG or Etihad.

This all adds up to a great home and away advantage well and truly above other VIC clubs*

Yes we have our own ground, but Geelong isn't a Melbourne based club. If we permanently moved to the MCG or Marvel the club would die, the city and the club relies on playing matches in Geelong. And no Victorian team travels interstate every second week.

A lot of clubs infrequently playing in Geelong is exactly what I mean when I said we only play weak Melbourne clubs there. If our 11 home games were at GMHBA then all VIC clubs would play there more frequently, meaning the stronger teams play there more frequently.

There has to be give and take in this. You can't criticise and suggest we have an advantage when the Richmond's and Collingwood's of the world play 14/22 games at one venue, a venue that hosts all Victorian finals. Which as you suggested is a disadvantage for Geelong.

Well we set up top spot extremely early by beating Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon and Richmond at the G
Adelaide in Adelaide and north at marvel.
Our only loss happened to be at home before the bye than we put the cue in the rack.

I challenge anyone to find a home result from last year that would’ve been any different if it were away.

The 40 point win against bulldogs in round 9 maybe?

Seriously play every game away from Geelong last year and see where we end up. I want to know what you’re changing.
Go through those home games and see if you can reverse any of them.
Crows, swans, eagles the north game maybe? But don’t forget we beat them all away from Geelong also.

Dees, saints, blues victories any of them likely to be different? Saints got within 5 goals. Reverse that?

I laugh that you actually think the OP is a richmond supporter. Never seen him post on our board. Just another alt troll getting to work
Without evidence to the contrary and considerable knowledge on who posts on your board it was a fair assumption

But I take your word for it as there are a few trolls masquerading as Tige supporters these days

Yes we have our own ground, but Geelong isn't a Melbourne based club. If we permanently moved to the MCG or Marvel the club would die, the city and the club relies on playing matches in Geelong. And no Victorian team travels interstate every second week.

A lot of clubs infrequently playing in Geelong is exactly what I mean when I said we only play weak Melbourne clubs there. If our 11 home games were at GMHBA then all VIC clubs would play there more frequently, meaning the stronger teams play there more frequently.

There has to be give and take in this. You can't criticise and suggest we have an advantage when the Richmond's and Collingwood's of the world play 14/22 games at one venue, a venue that hosts all Victorian finals. Which as you suggested is a disadvantage for Geelong.
In the home and away Geelong is the most advantaged club with home ground. Less travel than insterstate sides but is the sole occupant of their unique home ground. No other VIC club has that.

In the home and away Geelong is the most advantaged club with home ground. Less travel than insterstate sides but is the sole occupant of their unique home ground. No other VIC club has that.

Again who cares? Made absolutely no difference to our W/L record as I proved above. We could’ve played zero home games for the year and still finished top.
The only advantage seems to come in finals and that’s where your advantage comes in.

Again who cares? Made absolutely no difference to our W/L record as I proved above. We could’ve played zero home games for the year and still finished top.
The only advantage seems to come in finals and that’s where your advantage comes in.
Geelong dont really lose in Geelong. Their record at other grounds in VIC doesnt match that. For the context of this thread I expect it to be a factor that props them up to a respectable home and away position before failing in finals.

Geelong dont really lose in Geelong. Their record at other grounds in VIC doesnt match that. For the context of this thread I expect it to be a factor that props them up to a respectable home and away position before failing in finals.

So if the Cats have such an advantage because we play in Geelong, then that means Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn are at an advantage over all other teams because they don't have to play down here :thumbsupemoji:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast big stumble this year. Always thought they were just lucky.
Geelong , although my hatred knows no bounds will be their usual thereabouts.
Brisbane , I hope they go well.
Pies a big chance , just need to find something up forward.
Tigers , hopefully still got the drive.

I respectfully disagree, Geelong have a good record at GMHBA because we play weak/struggling Melbourne teams there and interstate travel for any team in the AFL is difficult. For example we've played the Blues there the last two seasons and without trying to be disrespectful you would generally expect Geelong to beat Carlton on any ground in Australia. As soon as struggling Melbourne teams move up the ladder the games get moved to the MCG or Marvel the next season. Look at 2017 when we played the tiges down there, next season it's at the G. GWS beat us down there last season and they made the GF, good teams can win in Geelong but the fact is we just don't play strong teams often at GMHBA, which would explain why we have a good record at the ground.

When Geelong slide down the ladder again in the coming years we won't be hearing about this so called advantage again.
And you won't be hearing the so called Richmond blessed MCG fixture when they slide. I mean just look at the lost years from 1983 to 2011. I never heard anything about Richmonds "advantage" when we were putrid at best & getting belted into submission on a weekly basis.
Happens with every team.

West Coast big stumble this year. Always thought they were just lucky.
Geelong , although my hatred knows no bounds will be their usual thereabouts.
Brisbane , I hope they go well.
Pies a big chance , just need to find something up forward.
Tigers , hopefully still got the drive.
2 grand finals in the last 5 years with an average of over 15 home and away wins each season in that period suggests we weren’t just lucky

So if the Cats have such an advantage because we play in Geelong, then that means Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn are at an advantage over all other teams because they don't have to play down here :thumbsupemoji:
We've played there a few times in the last half dozen seasons, not sure how many though.

It's pretty clear, the only club in Australia that has the combined benefit of reduced travel being in Victoria and the addition of being the only club in Victoria with it's own unique sole tenant stadium. This home and away advantage is not up for debate, the above is a fact.

Geelong have a really good set up in the H&A
Most of their home games they have an exclusive home ground
Then about half of the rest of their games are on the MCG so they are reasonably accustomed to it, they also don’t have to travel for these games.

The trade off is in home finals they at best get a mild advantage, and frequently get a mild disadvantage.

This is probably related to Geelong’s recent finals record. And in fact their all time finals winning percentage of 43.85%, 4th worst in the league.

richmond played there right to 2017 and virtually every year prior for over a decade, despite having more members and being higher up the ladder than the likes of st kilda and carlton and essendon.

Not fair to group them with that lot/ st kilda and carlton were exempt for the bulk of the decade..

2 grand finals in the last 5 years with an average of over 15 home and away wins each season in that period suggests we weren’t just lucky

and here come the over sensitive eagles supporters. I'd have expected more vitriol , but I suppose the element of truth ( my version of ) makes it difficult for you.

Remarkable Richmond, not a team of champions, but a champion team. Perhaps in two years time we might
have to say the greatest team of our time, the greatest team of all time. So much talent they should have
two teams in the competition because they have enough fans to support two teams.
I’m assuming sarcasm and enjoying it. If not, I’m enjoying it anyway

I’m assuming sarcasm and enjoying it. If not, I’m enjoying it anyway
They may not be able to touch the talent on paper of some of the great Hawthorn sides of the past, but that
fact only makes their achievement more worthy of merit. Never in AFL history have the powers that be tried
to even things out so every team does not have to wait too long to raise the cup and yet all I see is a flood
of Yellow and Black and premiership medallions.

They may not be able to touch the talent on paper of some of the great Hawthorn sides of the past, but that
fact only makes their achievement more worthy of merit. Never in AFL history have the powers that be tried
to even things out so every team does not have to wait too long to raise the cup and yet all I see is a flood
of Yellow and Black and premiership medallions.

Unbelievably good post. Now watch the Eagles supporters come for you.

Back