• St Kilda

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 126 19.1%
  • One of the rest

Votes: 17 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You have the youngest and most inexperienced list in the AFL, and heavy favourites for the spoon. On top of that, you're missing your best key forward by a street.

Last year we beat you by 5 goals after making 6 late changes whilst Gastro ran through the place. We had a much weaker side that day and you a stronger one. Call it what you will but we should beat you comfortably.

Brand new season. You have a brand new coach which may come with teething issues if the practice match against St.Kilda is anything to go by.

You're also missing the player that usually causes us the most trouble.

I won't be shocked to lose, but I don't think Essendon supporters should be either. The ones I know personally are certainly tempering their expectations because the Bombers feel like a bit of an unknown entity heading into this year.

Brand new season. You have a brand new coach which may come with teething issues if the practice match against St.Kilda is anything to go by.

You're also missing the player that usually causes us the most trouble.

I won't be shocked to lose, but I don't think Essendon supporters should be either. The ones I know personally are certainly tempering their expectations because the Bombers feel like a bit of an unknown entity heading into this year.
You've gutted your list. No idea if it will work out long term but that means short term pain.

Stringer? He didn't play against you last year either and we still beat you comfortably.

I don't think we'll get out of the bottom 6. But I daresay there'll be a clear gap between the bottom 2 if Hawthorne and North and the rest of them.

You've gutted your list. No idea if it will work out long term but that means short term pain.

Stringer? He didn't play against you last year either and we still beat you comfortably.

I don't think we'll get out of the bottom 6. But I daresay there'll be a clear gap between the bottom 2 if Hawthorne and North and the rest of them.
It's Essendon's good year this year

They will sneak into the 8, think they are close, pay 900k for TDK and then fall over into bottom 4 next year and Scott will get the chop

In all honesty, Essendon should win, but neither club should be confident, both teams are not great defensively, so it should at least be a good watch

The sooner the dons chop Stringer, the better

Poor example for a younger list

Their top end talent is still quality. They still have a decent list.

Sam Taylor is one of the best full backs in the comp. Josh Kelly. Lachie Whitfield. Tom Green. Isaac cumming. Harry perryman. Toby greene. Stephen Coniglio. Nick Haynes. Harry Himmelberg and Jesse hogan is a good enough core group of players to win 10+ games.

If the likes of Ash, Callaghan, Wehr and O’Hallaran can improve the Giants can push for a top 8 spot.
One can't disagree that with they have enough good players there that they shouldn't be in discussions about the spoon. But they finished a poor 16th last year and have since lost Hopper, Taranto and B Hill from that list. Though Cadman may be a top pick up in the longer term, it's unrealistic to expect a young tall to have much first season impact. Of course the effect of having a new untried senior coach is very difficult to predict, it could go either way. I don't think they can be discarded as spoon chances

Genuine question - are priority picks based on where the team finishes or the actual woeful-ness of the list?
They're based on how s**t you are, whether you are dragging down rights negotiations, whether the AFL wants you struggling so they can pressure you to vote on an expansion team or not make waves for head office, the vibe of things and whether you are a struggling expansion franchise amongst other things.

North would be one for the history books. Only happened 5 times to have 3 or more spoons in a row;
St Kilda 1897-1902 & 1983-1986
University 1912-1914
North Melbourne 1929-1931
Sydney 1992-1994

So history says it’s a rare event & North Melbourne would join St Kilda as the only club to do it twice. History says it won’t happen, so I’ll rule them out based on that.

WCE winning the spoon, would mean they are worst than a standard spoon, only because the home ground advantage is huge. They were one of the worst teams we saw last year (due to injury & covid) yet still didn’t get there.

So it’s Hawthorn & then there is always shocker nobody thought to challenge (last year I don’t think we all thought WCE would be that bad) so a middle run team from last year. St Kilda unfortunately. Already had a horrible start with injuries, things might fall apart fast for them.

Will get more than 10 mins of fox 360 on Monday

50-50
North would be one for the history books. Only happened 5 times to have 3 or more spoons in a row;
St Kilda 1897-1902 & 1983-1986
University 1912-1914
North Melbourne 1929-1931
Sydney 1992-1994

So history says it’s a rare event & North Melbourne would join St Kilda as the only club to do it twice. History says it won’t happen, so I’ll rule them out based on that.

WCE winning the spoon, would mean they are worst than a standard spoon, only because the home ground advantage is huge. They were one of the worst teams we saw last year (due to injury & covid) yet still didn’t get there.

So it’s Hawthorn & then there is always shocker nobody thought to challenge (last year I don’t think we all thought WCE would be that bad) so a middle run team from last year. St Kilda unfortunately. Already had a horrible start with injuries, things might fall apart fast for them.

So a b2b2b spoon has occurred twice since hawthorns last spoon?

You have the youngest and most inexperienced list in the AFL, and heavy favourites for the spoon. On top of that, you're missing your best key forward by a street.

Last year we beat you by 5 goals after making 6 late changes whilst Gastro ran through the place. We had a much weaker side that day and you a stronger one. Call it what you will but we should beat you comfortably.
We were 17 up 10 minutes into the 4th. Completely fell apart in the last 20 mins. Draper dominated a tiring Lynch and Callow.

I'm not sure we are weaker at all.
Likely missing from that game O'Meara, Gunston, Mitchell (who barely got near it that night with 14 disp), DGB, Scrimshaw, Lynch and Callow
Likely ins are Meek and Reeves which improves the ruck immensely, Amon and Jiath which will provide a lot more run, Wingard, Greene and Mackenzie.

I guess if you throw enough darts you gotta hit the board eventually!
Sure if I didn't post this a few posts prior based on many judging Hawthorn the week before based on a game against Geelong.
I learnt you have to make absolute claims based on preseason games last week
Practice games mean nothing in determining season results

I still think North, I think while we wont get close to top 8, we will surprise a few teams this year. Personally expecting us to finish around 12th-16th, but time will tell I guess. The thing I've noticed with our list, is that we still have players who are fighting for a spot in the 22 which is a positive sign. I must say, without Mitch Lewis to start, our FF / CHF combo is probably the weakest in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were 17 up 10 minutes into the 4th. Completely fell apart in the last 20 mins. Draper dominated a tiring Lynch and Callow.

I'm not sure we are weaker at all.
Likely missing from that game O'Meara, Gunston, Mitchell (who barely got near it that night with 14 disp), DGB, Scrimshaw, Lynch and Callow
Likely ins are Meek and Reeves which improves the ruck immensely, Amon and Jiath which will provide a lot more run, Wingard, Greene and Mackenzie.
This aged well...

The pessimist in me says we're the smokies now.

Nah.

I’m not as high on Adelaide as some others, but whilst I can’t see you getting near the 8 (watch this be bumped if you make it), you’ll definitely do enough to avoid the spoon IMO.

It’s looking like a toss up between two teams who are showing the worst possible ways to transition into a rebuild in opposite ways.

One of which appears to believe that despite being terrible for the last year and a half, somehow trotting out the same ageing list that won them a flag 5 years ago minus their key forward is going to move them forward. The other seems to have learnt nothing from seeing North Melbourne do exactly what they just did and ignore the fact that kids need protection and infield leaders to guide them

Still don't think we were. It was a terrible performance though. If we play like that for most of the year we will be finishing last
If we can play a few whole games the way we did in 1st Qtr we should beat a few teams, but if it's going to be a year of Qtrs 2-4 it's going to be a grim year and we will be surely getting the spoon.

Rd 3 vs North will be a good indicator on how far we've fallen behind / if the kids are good enough to stay off the bottom

Still don't think we were. It was a terrible performance though. If we play like that for most of the year we will be finishing last
Worst pressure game we’ve played since 2010.

Doubt we play like that all year.i

Unfortunately Hawks are likely to win the spoon. Opposition will kick 15+ goals on us most weeks. Very hard to win games that way.

Nah.

I’m not as high on Adelaide as some others, but whilst I can’t see you getting near the 8 (watch this be bumped if you make it), you’ll definitely do enough to avoid the spoon IMO.

The bottom 4 last year were standouts in a league of their own last year. I don't see Adelaide moving from their bracket of 12th-15th, but there is no way all of Hawthorn, WC, North will be better than the Crows this. Likely all 3 are worse, I think Essendon/GWS are a risk of overtaking them, but 1 or 2 teams will inexplicably s**t the bed and drop into the bottom 4.

Back