Who from your club? Last 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Matera made me laugh....but Kickett ???!!
is the below really the list ? if so Voss is already on it.

No - that looks like some random list of some very good players to play the game but certainly ain't the list of AFL Legends. Some of those players aren't even in the H of F yet. Some of them aren't even eligible yet.

So you are suggesting Harvey, Hird , Voss and Buckley wont be legends?

I'm saying that it is highly unlikely.
Given the calibre of players that have not been considered for Legend status it's a huge call at this stage to say that any of the 4 mentioned, along with Riccuito, will make it to that exalted level.
Considering that these players collectively are viewed in a very similiar light by many football fans, how could the AFL justify making 1 a Legend and not another.
How furious would Essendon fans be if Buckley was elevated to Legend status and Hird wasn't. The same applies in reverse and using any combination of the players mentioned.
Plus, if indeed there is a "line", these players would have to wait for Carey, Plugger and Ablett (amongst others) to be elevated before they would even be considered.
The AFL legends category is for the absolute "elite'. The unquestioned cream of the competition. Players that have elevated themselves above the absolute majority of their peers.

Can people please remember how many Legends there actually are. (18)
That the "Legends" component can not be higher than 10% of the total # of inductees.
The calibre of players that have not yet been elevated to "Legend" status.

No - that looks like some random list of some very good players to play the game but certainly ain't the list of AFL Legends. Some of those players aren't even in the H of F yet. Some of them aren't even eligible yet.
I'm not convinced you're right - even taking in the fact google believes all AFL players are legends...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~basiced3/footy/legends.html

I know the only Collingwood player that has made the list is Gordon Coventry. I also know another 6 on the list are true. Which makes the above link not so random.

Anyone know for sure ? I remember being disgusted when I heard about Matera, so I'm pretty sure he's a supposed "legend".

now what about Michael Voss G.O.B ???

would you class him as a legend??

3 times premiership captain
Brownlow Medalist
Multiple AA

I do agree that of all the 5 players that form the basis of my argument with PC and Viva..., Voss would seem the most likely due to the premierships. I however do not class him as a legend of the game.

Bare in mind also, that the Captain of a team that won 4 premierships in a row, picking up a Brownlow along the way as well is not a Legend of the AFL.
The player = Syd Coventry (Captain from 1927-1934) Premiership Captain in 1927,28,29,30. Brownlow medal winner in 1927.

I'm not convinced you're right - even taking in the fact google believes all AFL players are legends...

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~basiced3/footy/legends.html

I know the only Collingwood player that has made the list is Gordon Coventry. I also know another 6 on the list are true. Which makes the above link not so random.

Anyone know for sure ? I remember being disgusted when I heard about Matera, so I'm pretty sure he's a supposed "legend".

The official list.
http://www.aflhalloffame.com.au/home/inside.asp?ID=94

LOL, your link titled "AFL Legends" included the names Dale Kickett, Nigel Smart and Paul Kelly. How could you believe it was the official list?

These are the 18 Official AFL Legends of the game:
Darrell Baldock
Ron Barassi
Kevin Bartlett
Hadyn Bunton Snr
Roy Cazaly
John Coleman
Gordon Coventry
Jack Dyer
Polly Farmer
Peter Hudson
Bill Hutchinson
Leigh Matthews
James "Jock" McHale
John Nicholls
Bob Pratt
Dick Reynolds
Barrie Robran
Bob Skilton
Ian Stewart
Ted Whitten

If you (PC and Viva la Mattner) think that Mark Riccuito will sit comfortably amongst those names then you have no freaking idea.
Absolutely none.

Pretty awesome list really. Had the immeasurable honour of meeting Darrell Baldock, if only for a couple of minutes. Amazing experience and for all those guys on the legends list, bloody amazing effort.

Jeez when you think about it, wouldn't Lethal be pretty stoked to be the only one of those guys to be actively involvded in the game? He'll be top of the list by the time he eventually retires, is he oudoes Barassi :thumbsu:

But seriously, some amazing names on there :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1 South Australian

Now I think Ken Farmer should be a legend...so thats 2 SA boys.

4 SA with Roo and R Ebert included would be about right :D

Malcolm Blight will be the next South Australian upgraded to Legend status you'd think.

Playing - VFL

179 games, 444 goals
Brownlow Medal
Coleman Medal
2 x Premiership Player
1 x NMFC B&F
4 x NMFC Leading Goalkicker
7 x Victorian Rep (2 x Captain)

Playing - SANFL

163 games, 359 goals
Magarey Medal
Ken Farmer Medal
7 x South Australia Rep

350+ first grade games and won practically every individual accolade going in two states and after all that, won the first back to back flags of the AFL-era as a coach.

If that's not a legend then I don't know what is. Perhaps he should have to cure cancer, or be the first man to set foot on Mars.

Malcolm Blight will be the next South Australian upgraded to Legend status you'd think.

Playing - VFL

179 games, 444 goals
Brownlow Medal
Coleman Medal
2 x Premiership Player
1 x NMFC B&F
4 x NMFC Leading Goalkicker
7 x Victorian Rep (2 x Captain)

Playing - SANFL

163 games, 359 goals
Magarey Medal
Ken Farmer Medal
7 x South Australia Rep

350+ first grade games and won practically every individual accolade going in two states and after all that, won the first back to back flags of the AFL-era as a coach.

If that's not a legend then I don't know what is. Perhaps he should have to cure cancer, or be the first man to set foot on Mars.

Blight will make legend, not doubt about that. Any bloke with a moustache that was grond 20+ years ago is a dead-set legend :thumbsu:

Getting back to the Original Topic. From the Hawks. Im thinking Langford should get into the HOF at some point, and Crawford will be a decent shot, firming to likely if he can land a flag by the end of his career.

Both 300 gamers, AFL life members.

Carlton fans rave about Silvagni, but it is interesting to note that Ablett always rated Langford the better opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew Matera made me laugh....but Kickett ???!!
is the below really the list ? if so Voss is already on it.

Legends List

Dale Kickett

We wish. As much as Dale is adored by all Freo fans there's no way he's Hall of Fame material.

From Freo I'd say Pav is the only realistic chance. I'd like to see Belly considered but I doubt it. The only others even worth mentioning are Farmer and Hase.

Considering Farmer didn't even make the Indigenous team of the century (now there's an injustice) he's got no chance. And even if Hasleby manages to stay fit and firing he's probably also no chance - he'd be a long way down the pecking order after similar players like West and even Ratten (who'll never make it anyway).

So only Pav for us - assuming he keeps his form up for the rest of his career.

No I am not kidding

You said Carey will be a Legend.. I dont doubt that... I used the ''what has Carey done'' in response to the achievements of Roo

If you dont think 8 AA a Brownlow and flag is of a high standard ... as compared to Carey 2 Flags and 6 AAs .... then you need better glasses.

Yes Roo is compared to his contemporaries and will sit alongside Hird , Voss and Buckley and Harvey as an equal, and if you think differently I cant change that

Its actually 7 AA's for Carey and was named Captain 4 times. If he didnt do his shoulder in 1997 would probably have been selected in that AA team aswell.

We wish. As much as Dale is adored by all Freo fans there's no way he's Hall of Fame material.

From Freo I'd say Pav is the only realistic chance. I'd like to see Belly considered but I doubt it. The only others even worth mentioning are Farmer and Hase.

Considering Farmer didn't even make the Indigenous team of the century (now there's an injustice) he's got no chance. And even if Hasleby manages to stay fit and firing he's probably also no chance - he'd be a long way down the pecking order after similar players like West and even Ratten (who'll never make it anyway).

So only Pav for us - assuming he keeps his form up for the rest of his career.

Ironic, since from memory, both Matera brothers made the team, as well as the Italian one :confused:

Ironic, since from memory, both Matera brothers made the team, as well as the Italian one :confused:

Don't get me started. 200+ games and 430+ goals - the most ever by an Aboriginal player, including 80 odd in one spectacular season - and they can't even find a spot on the bench for him.

I don't know much about the olden days players but I fail to see how O'Loughlin, Pickett and Burgoyne are all worthy of a spot if the Wiz isn't.

BTW it was only Peter Matera who made the team. Now that really would have been a slap in the face if Phil was named as the forward pocket instead of Farmer.

And I thought you were being stupid by building an argument for the inclusion of Riccuito.
John Worsfold is downright nonsense.

at the moment I would agree

but if his coaching continues along the same path and he sticks out 15 years or so

it is likely he may be involved in a number of premierships as captain and coach - failry exalted company - not may have done that!

but I agree - he is a long way from it now - but of all the eagles he is the one with his nose in front

at the moment I would agree

but if his coaching continues along the same path and he sticks out 15 years or so

it is likely he may be involved in a number of premierships as captain and coach - failry exalted company - not may have done that!

but I agree - he is a long way from it now - but of all the eagles he is the one with his nose in front

If you are talking about HOF, then I agree that he would be not only close, but a worthy recipient of that honor. Is a premiership captain and premiership coach. Cant ask for more than that.
If you are talking "Legend", then I dont agree. Would have to mount an unprecedented coaching record in order to put his name up for consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back