Remove this Banner Ad

fixxxer

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's a smokey for everyone....

Melbourne

If they continue with the average performances, and then get bundled out and embarrassed in the finals, (highly likely), don't be surprised if Melbourne look at him.

Dees believe they their time is ripe for a flag, maybe Clarko can get them there
1% chance of this happening. He could also end up coaching the Lakers next year if LeBron doesn't get another ring.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Eagles, GWS or GCS

Although if I were Chris Scott I'd be a little concerned, A Geelong team with Clarko would result in a fourpeat EASILY.

Based on their head to head record, I doubt Scott is too concerned.

Unlike Scott, Clarkson failed to keep his team competitive after the premiership years.

4 premierships vs 1

Chris Scott has failed to motivate "his" team to get over the line over the last 10 years.............. Even the 2020 grand final, he should have made moves to stop Richmond's run but he let things play out as they were.

ExYarraValley

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I was Clarkson I’d ask my manager to speak to Port Adelaide StKilda and Essendon. All clubs that have a list to challenge and young enough to mould.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
4 premierships vs 1

Chris Scott has failed to motivate "his" team to get over the line over the last 10 years.............. Even the 2020 grand final, he should have made moves to stop Richmond's run but he let things play out as they were.
I'll take Scott, thanks.

But it is a shame that Clarkson failed so badly at the rebuild Hawthorn sacked him. Hopefully he finds success again at Collingwood.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Unlike Clarkson, Scott inherited a great team that basically coached itself to the 2011 flag.

Welcome to 2021. The sixth season since Hawthorn have won a final. Hawthorn are now a wooden spoon contender.

The aim post 2015 was to transition the list and remain competitive, as Geelong have done post 2011. But they failed at that, and Clarkson got the boot.

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
Welcome to 2021. The sixth season since Hawthorn have won a final. Hawthorn are now a wooden spoon contender.

The aim post 2015 was to transition the list and remain competitive, as Geelong have done post 2011. But they failed at that, and Clarkson got the boot.

Competitive teams are never remembered, champion teams are.

There's no comparison.

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon

Your club is basically a retirement home, and has been for a long time now.

Cats will stumble into a 10 year drought from next year, mark my words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Competitive teams are never remembered, champion teams are.

There's no comparison.

Sure, but you miss the point. Clarkson was and possibly still is a great coach, and his achievements can't be contested. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But Hawthorn have failed by the standards they publicly set post 2015, ie. to transition the list and remain competitive. Clarkson has not won a final in 6 years. Hawthorn are a wooden spoon team now. Given this, it's not that surprising that Hawthorn have looked elsewhere.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Unlike Clarkson, Scott inherited a great team that basically coached itself to the 2011 flag.
You don't reckon the Hawks threepeat team was basically coaching themselves?

Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Burgoyne, Birchall, Gibson, Lake, Rioli, McEvoy, Smith, Breust etc.

Even bloody Brendon Bolton had a perfect record when he took over that list!! And we all know Bolton ain't a senior coaches a-hole!

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
You don't reckon the Hawks threepeat team was basically coaching themselves?

Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Burgoyne, Birchall, Gibson, Lake, Rioli, McEvoy, Smith, Breust etc.

Even bloody Brendon Bolton had a perfect record when he took over that list!! And we all know Bolton ain't a senior coaches a-hole!

That’s how it goes though, you don’t lose the credit because they ended up just knowing how it all works. Clarko put it all in place.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
So there is no such thing as a good coach then? I get you have to have the players but you can’t dismiss the role the coach plays.
There are good and bad coaches.
Bad coaches see clubs fall apart.
Good coaches are able to get bog avg lists to be competitive, or take avg lists deep into finals.
And then there are the majority of coaches were just cop whatever talent they have at their disposal.
You can luck out and have generational talent at their disposal - ie Pagan with Carey etc.

Has Clarko ever been acknowledged as coach of the year? ;)

Eveb Bolton , with his 100% winning record in 2014, was made to look like a good coach with how strong that Hawks list was.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
There are good and bad coaches.
Bad coaches see clubs fall apart.
Good coaches are able to get bog avg lists to be competitive, or take avg lists deep into finals.
And then there are the majority of coaches were just cop whatever talent they have at their disposal.
You can luck out and have generational talent at their disposal - ie Pagan with Carey etc.

Has Clarko ever been acknowledged as coach of the year? ;)

Eveb Bolton , with his 100% winning record in 2014, was made to look like a good coach with how strong that Hawks list was.

If you win 4 flags in 9 years, how you leave the club will not define you. The flags do. Arguably in The greatest coach conversation.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
No, I do not. Plenty of very good teams, don't win flags.

Great list.... but winning flag doesn't happen in a vacuum... otherwise Essendon would have gone undefeated from 1999 to 2001.
Reckon if Hird and Lucas were fit and available in 99 they would have won. When the cattle isn't available, not much a coach can do.

Despite the Richmond soldier out and soldier in crap, how many flags do they win if Dusty chose to leave??

Come September in the Hawks three peat, their players were all flying - how much credit goes to Clarko for list build, fitness and availability of players?

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
If we take Clarko's comments about taking a year off at face value, reading between the lines, this says to me that he's not interested in the Collingwood gig, as they need a coach for next year, but that he might have interest in Carlton, but Teague is contracted for 2022 and he doesn't want another coach sacked.
One thing is for sure. Until all senior coaching roles are confirmed for 2022, his name will be attached to just about any potential gig.
If he does take a year off, he will be mentioned all year for any team that has a coach coming out of contract, or struggling for results.
We'll all be very sick of hearing about him.

Back