Prediction Who gets picked up as a Delisted Free Agent?

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Michael Hartley likely delisted by us.

Always ok as KPD. Clubs could do worse than get him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he’s already back at the club training, Cutler mentioned training in the gym with him in his welcome interview.
No chance he is going

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Keays should get another go.

Turns just 23 at the start of next season.
Someone needs to get Keays

Got to disagree here. Limited at AFL level, not a senior depth player like some that have been mentioned (Robertson, Brand), his main limitations (skill and athleticism) aren't likely to change/improve.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Any team that needs good backup KPP depth should be looking at Josh Walker, delisted by the Lions.
I agree. I'd love for GWS to get Josh Walker to cover both KPF (where we are a touch short from letting Patton go) and KPD. He'd be an excellent depth player, and probably gets a few games with our usual injury toll each year!

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Got to disagree here. Limited at AFL level, not a senior depth player like some that have been mentioned (Robertson, Brand), his main limitations (skill and athleticism) aren't likely to change/improve.

Kicked 47 goals in 19 games in the NEAFL as a reinvented Small Forward and was largely improved at Senior Level this year - named emergency 17 times and would have got many more games this year if not for the lack of injuries. Had to be delisted as it was too little, too late.

I agree that I don't think he will be picked up as he simply doesn't have the profile (like you say, a Robertson that's played 73 games) or a position that's a commodity (like a KPP) - but I think he is good enough to still be on a list.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Kicked 47 goals in 19 games in the NEAFL as a reinvented Small Forward and was largely improved at Senior Level this year - named emergency 17 times and would have got many more games this year if not for the lack of injuries. Had to be delisted as it was too little, too late.

I agree that I don't think he will be picked up as he simply doesn't have the profile (like you say, a Robertson that's played 73 games) or a position that's a commodity (like a KPP) - but I think he is good enough to still be on a list.
He's just not quick enough to play that position effectively at senior level.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought Walker played well this year, surprised Brisbane aren't keeping him given they are in their window and depth is important, I'd certainly take him.
Wylie Buzza as well, even if he's no good you got to have him!

Can't see much else to get excited about.

Suspect Newnes stays at St Kilda although surely Freo ask the question given they just lost their two first-choice wingmen.

Buzza will find a home, Port a possibility.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Surely Newnes is good enough to be on an AFL list next year

I think Newnes has proven to be quite serviceable.

He didn't miss a game for five straight seasons (2014-2018), and played 148 of a possible 154 games from 2013-2019. Some might say that's a symptom of St Kilda's mediocrity, but he's a solid (albeit unspectacular), capable contributor who has greater staying power than the majority of the league. It's bloody hard to keep fronting up, week in, week out, year in, year out in today's AFL, no matter what role you play.

Kind of surprised if the Saints suddenly don't have a place for him, just because of their new acquisitions. If he doesn't play 22 games at the Gold Coast in 2020 at the very least, and just falls back to the state leagues, I'd be surprised.

Last edited:

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Newnes has proven to be quite serviceable. Didn't miss a game for five straight seasons (2014-2018), and played 148 of a possible 154 games from 2013-2019. Some might say that's a symptom of St Kilda's mediocrity, but he's a solid (albeit unspectacular), capable contributor who has greater staying power than the majority of the league. It's bloody hard to keep fronting up, week in, week out, year in, year out in today's AFL, no matter what role you play.

Kind of surprised if the Saints suddenly don't have a place for him, just because of their new acquisitions. If he doesn't play 22 games at the Gold Coast in 2020 at the very least, and just falls back to the state leagues, I'd be surprised.
He has an offer there, I believe he is still assessing his options after the inclusions of Hill and Jones.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Angus Schumacher was a surprising delisting to be honest Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was very surprised he got drafted at all to be honest....Clearly not up to the level at the under 18 champs.

The 3 Tigers boys de-listed today would be top of a few clubs lists you'd reckon.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really think all of Walker, Keays and Robertson could be very handy pick ups for a team.

All unlucky not to play more senior football this year due to our incredibly lucky injury run. Walker was fantastic when called upon and the main reason he couldn’t stay in the seniors is because he’s a poor mans Andrews. Surprised we didn’t keep him for Cover though.

Robertson is limited but no one gives more effort. He played a really good negating role against Whitfield.

I would’ve loved to see Keays get more time in the seniors. He went okay when called up and his best footy is ahead of him.

All came out of contract at the wrong time and there’s a huge squeeze on list spots at the moment.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Richmond should definitely consider Harley Bennell. I think we could make him work.

I realise Hardwick said a few weeks ago we werent that keen, but it sounded more like a throw-away line.
Hardwick should apply to become an NDIS service provider and start getting funded for offering psychosocial recovery for young men who have lost their way

Back