Prediction Who gets picked up as a Delisted Free Agent?

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Actually he’s a perfect example of a player was given the opportunity, went off the rails. His behaviour had no impact on the club or playing group, who went on to win the flag that year.

That situation is exactly why the Hawks would be confident. Or are you suggesting that he picked up all his bad habits from living with Luke Hodge?

Miss the point completely.

Old mate suggested Hawks are a good match because of the 3 main factors posted above. If the suggested culture couldn't keep Garlett from going off the rails with the extra leaders around compared to now, then surely the current Hawks squad don't meet the criteria.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne

Old mate suggested Hawks are a good match because of the 3 main factors posted above. If the suggested culture couldn't keep Garlett from going off the rails with the extra leaders around compared to now, then surely the current Hawks squad don't meet the criteria.
Except the fact that Dayle Garlett is not Bennell? Even if he was, Garlett might have changed.

Based on your logic we can rule Sydney and Geelong out as Mendel didn't work for Sydney and Mitch Clarke didn't work for Geelong.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
What the * am I missing here, Bennell, THE Bennell, the one from WA, Gold Coast Bennell, is he free.

slowedawg

Premium Gold
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Except the fact that Dayle Garlett is not Bennell? Even if he was, Garlett might have changed.

Based on your logic we can rule Sydney and Geelong out as Mendel didn't work for Sydney and Mitch Clarke didn't work for Geelong.

Garlett got worse. He's now spent what, about 4 or 5 years in jail since being picked up at the Hawks? The culture has changed. The leaders have changed. I'm not knocking the Hawks, but it is not the same playing group that was able to transform players as it once was. Cats would be the best bet I reckon - still got some old heads there that can steer him in the right direction. GWS might be an interesting one to look at him, as that young group seems to just have the right mindset to alter his behaviour or at least, get him to fall in line.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Garlett getting worse may not be an indication on the leadership but of the man himself.

It's totally fair to say that you don't think hawthorn now has the culture to make bennell work, I was just responding to the previous posters blanket logic that Hawthorn won't be able to fix bennell because they couldn't get Garlett to fit into their systems. Different people will behave differently and the situation is not the same. From what I've read I think the desire from Bennell is there and culture won't be the problem

However, I think he'll be a bust at any club. Not sure I believe a pinched nerve is the reason for calves breaking down every time he tries to return. But if any club believe they can, good luck to them.

Last edited:

slowedawg

Premium Gold
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Garlett getting worse may not be an indication on the leadership but of the man himself.

It's totally fair to say that you don't think hawthorn now has the culture to make bennell work, I was just responding to the previous posters blanket logic that Hawthorn won't be able to fix bennell because they couldn't get Garlett to fit into their systems. Different people will behave differently and the situation is not the same. From what I've read I think the desire from Bennell is there and culture won't be the problem

However, I think he'll be a bust at any club. Not sure I believe a pinched nerve is the reason for calves breaking down every time he tries to return. But if any club believe they can, good luck to them.

Fair enough. I'm wondering how good he still is considering he's missed so much footy. I wonder how much the game has changed since he had consistency and how hard he'll find it to adapt to a new style and pace. If someone gets his body and mind right, I'd be incredibly happy for the bloke - it's just more often than not in this situation it doesn't happen.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

As we can observe from the Yarran and Pickett situations at the Tigers, indigenous players are actually completely different people, capable of making independent decisions.

The comparisons between these players is not very helpful. I don’t know if he’ll end up at my club, but if Harley Bennell lands there I’d be confident that the staff and leadership group would know how to handle whatever complications may arise from having a player with a history of abusive/self-abusive behaviour.

But all of this is secondary to the much graver injury history. Good luck to him.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Out of all the DFA’s the one I like the most is Billy Stretch. He runs all day, word from Dees is he does everything right on and off the track, great attitude, finds heaps of the footy and a very good decision maker.. knocks on him have been he doesn’t hurt you enough, but plenty of great outside players have had that knock at various times.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Riley Knight of Adelaide remains currently in limbo....Neither officially de-listed nor re-signed...Allen Christensen of Brisbane is in the same boat, but you'd think that he'll be Gold Cost bound -A bit of quid pro quo for Lyons there methinks.....The only other one is Tory Dickson from the Dogs, but at 32 & with the acquisition of Bruce, then he's probably passed it.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Riley Knight of Adelaide remains currently in limbo....Neither officially de-listed nor re-signed...Allen Christensen of Brisbane is in the same boat, but you'd think that he'll be Gold Cost bound -A bit of quid pro quo for Lyons there methinks.....The only other one is Tory Dickson from the Dogs, but at 32 & with the acquisition of Bruce, then he's probably passed it.
What has Bruce got to do with Dickson?

The acquisition of one might have something to do with the demise of the other.

Different players, different roles though. Unless it purely based on there not being enough list spots.

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Out of all the DFA’s the one I like the most is Billy Stretch. He runs all day, word from Dees is he does everything right on and off the track, great attitude, finds heaps of the footy and a very good decision maker.. knocks on him have been he doesn’t hurt you enough, but plenty of great outside players have had that knock at various times.

Could do a lot worse!

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Who I think should be given another Chance

Collingwood
Fletcher Roberts Western Bulldogs

Carlton
Jack Newnes St Kilda

Fremantle
Connor Meandue Richmond

GWS
Nick Robertson Brisbane

Hawthorn
Josh Walker Brisbane

Melbourne
Sam Murray Collingwood

Port Adelaide
Wylie Buzza Geelong

St Kilda
Callum Moore Richmond

Sydney
Kaiden Brand Hawthorn

Western Bulldogs
Matthew Lobbe Carlton

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets

Collingwood

Carlton
Jack Newnes St Kilda

Fremantle
Connor Meandue Richmond

GWS
Nick Robertson Brisbane

Hawthorn
Josh Walker Brisbane

Melbourne
Sam Murray Collingwood

Port Adelaide
Wylie Buzza Geelong

St Kilda
Callum Moore Richmond

Sydney
Kaiden Brand Hawthorn

Western Bulldogs
Matthew Lobbe Carlton

All of them make sense except for Lobbe. The bloke isn’t even a VFL standard ruckman anymore

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's not that he doesn't hurt the opposition it's that he actively hurts the team by being that slow and timid to take the game on. He's a nice enough kick when he backs himself he just has a really slow release and wobbles the ball when he runs so under pressure his kicking can go way off.

If he got some coaching to fix his technique and to believe in himself then he does enough things well enough (despite being relatively slight and short) to play useful footy. Personally I'd rather Menaude who has better skills and a bit more dash but Stretch isn't hopeless. Would like to see him get another chance.

Collingwood

Carlton
Jack Newnes St Kilda

Fremantle
Connor Meandue Richmond

GWS
Nick Robertson Brisbane

Hawthorn
Josh Walker Brisbane

Melbourne
Sam Murray Collingwood

Port Adelaide
Wylie Buzza Geelong

St Kilda
Callum Moore Richmond

Sydney
Kaiden Brand Hawthorn

Western Bulldogs
Matthew Lobbe Carlton

The Bulldogs dont need a ruck much less one who is 30 and crap. The rest of your picks are fine.

Back