anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Dale Alcock may have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons I reckon as king that Fremantle be given the rights to the only Derby for the year.
Going by last years fixtures it should be the Yellas game, but how will the AFL see it.
May not be spectators there, but it will mean quite big money for the sponsor side of it I reckon.

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We want the advertising, therefore its more important to us.
They are rolling in it, we not so much!!
It would be fair to be Freo's home game, but between Nisbett and AFL house, we'll get reamed

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Given that there is likely no fans, can't they split the advertising etc?

I don't think it's fair that it's a freo game as according to the fixture it was our home game.

I know up until this point we have been very well off financially, but there is no such thing as a rich club anymore.

We're all dirt broke.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC

I don't think it's fair that it's a freo game as according to the fixture it was our home game.

I know up until this point we have been very well off financially, but there is no such thing as a rich club anymore.

We're all dirt broke.
Hahaha..
You guys crack me up

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

We're all dirt broke.

All revenue for this game is given to the WA Footy Commission ?.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should be neutral.

8 away games
8 homes games
1 neutral game

Someone’s got to be the home side for Admin purposes. Even happens in World Cup finals etc.

As long as both WA clubs get 9 games at Optus Stadium I’m happy enough from a pure footy fixture point of view. The issue isn’t that - it’s sponsorship money. West Coast are in a far better financial position than us but Freo should really be a position where they only struggle through this initially - the club’s existence shouldn’t really be in question unless half the clubs in the country go under first.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
The fair thing is either Eagles home game or it's considered a neutral game and neither is at home.

We can wear our home strip and so can they anyway
lol at the dislike on your post.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Should be neutral.

8 away games
8 homes games
1 neutral game
How do you make it a neutral game!!!!
Advertisers are not going to cop that, from either club.
We had the last Derby in 2019, doesn't it make it the Yellas home game this time round?

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
How do you make it a neutral game!!!!
Advertisers are not going to cop that, from either club.
We had the last Derby in 2019, doesn't it make it the Yellas home game this time round?

Seemed to go that way between 2014 and 2017 but has rotated the last two seasons

Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(H), Freo(A)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(H), Freo(A)
Freo(A), Freo(H)

We have had the first derby twice from the past eight seasons, nine if you include the initial 2020 fixtures.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Seemed to go that way between 2014 and 2017 but has rotated the last two seasons

Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(H), Freo(A)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(A), Freo(H)
Freo(H), Freo(A)
Freo(A), Freo(H)

We have had the first derby twice from the past eight seasons, nine if you include the initial 2020 fixtures.
Thanks for that.I wonder how that has worked out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs

We're dirt.
EFA :cool: :straining:

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it's played without a crowd does it really matter? Rather it be an 'away' game for us and we don't travel
All about ground signage, probably the most important Derby to get "home ground" to of all time. Fairness would suggest they split the signage into quarters which I'm sure wouldn't be difficult given its all electronic.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Assuming we're back in Perth at some point, as we've already had a Perth game in round 1, they'll give us the derby and you'll get an extra game in Perth as the 'away' side as a result, to make up for it.

Freo need the cash more. We get the additional home game as our derby.

Not sure Nisbett in his nature is as accomodating though

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Using the method the AFL usually uses for this kind of stuff it has to be a Freo home game.

Smaller Vic clubs that aren't as financially well off play games against the bigger Vic clubs to increase their gate. Meanwhile we get sent to Tassie.

Surely in this situation the less well off team needs a bit of a leg up as well or does that only work for Victorian teams?

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The fair thing is either Eagles home game or it's considered a neutral game and neither is at home.

We can wear our home strip and so can they anyway
Freo need the money more. Also it’s our turn this year to host derby first? Isn’t that what they said when it was the Optus opening? Then miraculously Eagles were given the first derby this year.
FWIW port have the showdown this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back