Opinion Who gets the most Rising Star votes

Who will get the most Rising Star Votes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aish will poll more votes, but Taylor should poll more votes.

The Rising Star award is a bit of an oddity.
Yeah Aish is $5 to win it, while Taylor is at $34. I agree Taylor has been better, but Aish has super special hype points that the judges need to take into account.

On a separate note that Bontompelli kid should win this award if he finishes the season strongly. It's amazing that he was touted as a long term project player and is already delivering so much. I think he's one of the best young talents in the comp, in the ilk of Wingard, O'Meara, Wines and Cameron.

Who do we think will poll the most votes out our nominees?

Given it's more about perception, draft position and lobbying by the media, I can't see Aish not getting more votes.

Yeah Aish is $5 to win it, while Taylor is at $34. I agree Taylor has been better, but Aish has super special hype points that the judges need to take into account.

On a separate note that Bontompelli kid should win this award if he finishes the season strongly. It's amazing that he was touted as a long term project player and is already delivering so much. I think he's one of the best young talents in the comp, in the ilk of Wingard, O'Meara, Wines and Cameron.

Should or will?

Considering it's an award that should take into account the whole season he would need to have a huge finish and some of the other candidates such as Langdon, Aish & Taylor would have to drop off substantially.

But considering the media hype he's got he may well win it based on a couple of good games.

The guys who decide this don't actually watch our games. It comes down to name recognitition and stats. Neither sets themselves apart on the latter but Aish has the former.

Really open race and still there for someone to win.

Ok I will be the first too say it :)

Levy Taylor really hasn't shown much to me this year. The fact he hasn't had a senior game or trained all season really makes me wonder if he would get any votes at all this year. Perhaps some bribery going on or such?? ;) :p

Yeah I think Lewy will get more votes this year. Aish has been fantastic but think Lewy has done a bit more to get more recognition.

Ok I will be the first too say it :)

Levy Taylor really hasn't shown much to me this year. The fact he hasn't had a senior game or trained all season really makes me wonder if he would get any votes at all this year. Perhaps some bribery going on or such?? ;) :p

Yeah I think Lewy will get more votes this year. Aish has been fantastic but think Lewy has done a bit more to get more recognition.

Ipad auto correcter - don't know how to change it

All good just having some friday funnies!! Trust me, on two other forums I have made such bigger mistakes it aint funny and just have too laugh at myself :)

The guys who decide this don't actually watch our games. It comes down to name recognitition and stats. Neither sets themselves apart on the latter but Aish has the former.

Really open race and still there for someone to win.

For me at least, if Bontempelli wins in a landslide, or even really if Aish wins it, my first thought will be that those who voted didn't take their role all that seriously.

While I'd be a bit miffed if a Collingwood player won, I'd probably say Langdon at this point is the most deserving, followed by a pack of players including Josh Kelly, Lewis Taylor, Koladjashnij, Macdonald, Bontempelli and Aish. Out of such a tight group it'd be a shame if it was media profile that made the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'd be a bit miffed if a Collingwood player won, I'd probably say Langdon at this point is the most deserving, followed by a pack of players including Josh Kelly, Lewis Taylor, Koladjashnij, Macdonald, Bontempelli and Aish. Out of such a tight group it'd be a shame if it was media profile that made the difference.
Like Collingwood, Langdon has been pretty ordinary in recent times. The remaining games could really decide who wins. Don't remember a season where it was this clouded.

IMO Lewy has been more consistent. Aish's highs have been spectacular, but he has only really had three outstanding games. Aish has played the tougher role but Lewy, who's yet to miss a game coming off no pre-season, has been sensational.

Here's hoping Marco/Diz can pinch a late nomination!

Like Collingwood, Langdon has been pretty ordinary in recent times. The remaining games could really decide who wins. Don't remember a season where it was this clouded.

IMO Lewy has been more consistent. Aish's highs have been spectacular, but he has only really had three outstanding games. Aish has played the tougher role but Lewy, who's yet to miss a game coming off no pre-season, has been sensational.

Here's hoping Marco/Diz can pinch a late nomination!

I agree with all of that. Langdon's disposal is also a little patchy.

But he plays a tough role and he's held his spot in a good (sort of) team and that makes him stand out from some of the other candidates in my mind.

For me at least, if Bontempelli wins in a landslide, or even really if Aish wins it, my first thought will be that those who voted didn't take their role all that seriously.

Yeah it does seem at the moment that noone should win it in a land slide. If it ends up being close I probably won't mind who wins it at this stage.

On the question in the OP I'd say that Aish will most likely get more votes but he maybe shouldnt be. Both Aish and Taylor have been very impressive for 1st year guys

If we're referring to the 'Star' part then I think Kolajazzetc , Daniher and Bontempelli are in the discussion, followed by Taylor. (Aish if it's a small trophy and they have to pay for engraving by the letter.)

A Star is someone who brings people to the footy and causes little kids to ask Dad to put their number on their jersey. I think the 4(+1) above qualify.

While the rest of the nominees are all varying degrees of solid, most are role players or had a single game where they outperformed.

While I love what Aish has shown, to date he just seems mature beyond his years, not yet the gun I trust he will become.

Here's the top three Rising Stars ranked by total Champion Data points...

The Taylor bandwagon has gained serious momentum over the past few weeks, with Brown and Gerard Healy seriously pumping him up. I fear Bontempelli's game at the weekend might be too good to overlook. If consistency means anything the top three and Dunstan should figure heavily

Here's the top three Rising Stars ranked by total Champion Data points...

The Taylor bandwagon has gained serious momentum over the past few weeks, with Brown and Gerard Healy seriously pumping him up. I fear Bontempelli's game at the weekend might be too good to overlook. If consistency means anything the top three and Dunstan should figure heavily
That was probably his third outstanding game in the past 10 weeks. Lewy hasn't really had one, but has been super consistent.

That was probably his third outstanding game in the past 10 weeks. Lewy hasn't really had one, but has been super consistent.
Third outstanding among several good performances. His ceiling has been greater than any other imo. Hopefully playing 22 and 21 games counts for something!

I'd be surprised if Bontempelli won it, actually. Good highlights reel but hasn't played enough games - and certainly not enough standout ones - to get the award, I wouldn't have thought.

Reckon it'll come down to Taylor or Dunstan - who many have forgotten about, but has been outstanding in a poor side. Langdon and McDonald are slightly more slimmer chances too, as is Aish.

Anyone else feeling Jimmy Aish is a little hard done by? Been super consistent and the only game I think he really had his colours lowered was against the Crows and he wasn't alone there.

This award is usually a bit of a gee up in the voting process, but more often than not goes to the most deserving person. I thought Bontempelli would run away with it, but given Lewy's media exposure over the last month and the fact he's played every game makes him the one to beat I reckon.

Back