Opinion Who gets the most Rising Star votes

Who will get the most Rising Star Votes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of wish Leppa hadn't made these comments:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-28/leppa-fearful-of-lion-snub

"Both [Taylor and Aish] have had exceptional years," Leppitsch said.
"I don't think Lewy's had a bad game all year.
"It depends if the selectors actually turn on the box when the Brisbane games are on or they don't really, that's what is going to decide it.
"A lot of those selection committees, there isn't a Queensland voice on them, whether it's us or the Suns.
"You're relying on a bit of something else.
"South Australian blokes are pushing the South Australians, West Australians the same. It'd be nice to have a Queensland voice on those committees."

It's probably something we'd all agree with to some extent or other, but to most people it's just going to sound petty.

The rising star award is probably also not a good example to use to talk about northern state clubs being neglected by the mainstream footy world. We've been pretty well represented.

Plus Aish and Taylor have had plenty of coverage: Aish more so at the start of the season, but Taylor recently seems to be getting his fair share of exposure. And that straw poll of journos from the other day seemed to prove as much.

I reckon you could make the case around someone like Darcy Gardiner, but he hasn't picked great examples. It's just a really easy comment to disprove, and it makes it slightly harder to make the argument in the future.

EDIT: I should point out that Leppa's sense of humour means you can never be totally sure how serious he is about comments when you see them in print, but that's how they're going to be reported most of the time, and most people will take them at face value.

Last edited:

The rising star award is probably also not a good example to use to talk about northern state clubs being neglected by the mainstream footy world. We've been pretty well represented.

Yep. Posted elsewhere;

Interesting tid bit:
since it's inception in 1993, players from Brisbane Bears received 5 nominations, Fitzroy 6, and Brisbane Lions 30.
That's 41 nominations between the 2 clubs and post-merger Lions. The most nominations in that time for a single club is 34 for WC and Melbourne.
Even if you take either of the Bears or Fitzroy out of the equation in the interest of only counting 1 club over the entire period we still have the most noms.
The Bears and Brisbane Lions have a combined 3 winners, 1 more than any team for the entire period.
We are the ******* kings of the Rising Star. :cool:
Disturbingly, until recently, Essendon and Fremantle have had the most nominations (5) in a single year.
2012 saw GWS win 8 nominations for the award. 8. :eek: I think those 8 nominations are an indictment on how the expansion team has been created.
For the record, I think Paps was robbed. It's a nice feather to have in the cap. He may get a nomination, or he might miss out. If at the end of the season he is considered to be worthy of winning the award, then he will have received a nomination and will be in the running. If he is not the best rising star for the year, then it is probably of little consequence whether he was nominated or not.
I'm not too worried, if you look through the list of winners, there are some big ******* heads.
EDIT: Figures all up to round 23 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Rising_Star#Winners

I kind of wish Leppa hadn't made these comments:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-28/leppa-fearful-of-lion-snub

It's probably something we'd all agree with to some extent or other, but to most people it's just going to sound petty.

Plus Aish and Taylor have had plenty of coverage: Aish more so at the start of the season, but Taylor recently seems to be getting his fair share of exposure. And that straw poll of journos from the other day seemed to prove as much.

I reckon you could make the case around someone like Darcy Gardiner, but he hasn't picked great examples. It's just a really easy comment to disprove, and it makes it slightly harder to make the argument in the future.

EDIT: I should point out that Leppa's sense of humour means you can never be totally sure how serious he is about comments when you see them in print, but that's how they're going to be reported most of the time, and most people will take them at face value.

My memory is that the interview had also touched on Rocky's and Stef's chances of being AA. I got the feeling that the 'those committees' observation related more generally to AFL awards rather than just the rising star. I watched the interview this morning though, so I stand to be corrected on my memory of it.

I'm glad he made a comment about the two. Why wouldn't he? It shows that he has an invested interest and them also to add the comments about Rocky as well.

Back