Who gets the Ruck gig?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Nank can clunk a few marks and get 15 possies a week, I reckon with our midfield we can afford to forgo Hammers tap dominance and run with Nank.

Ideally though, and its a massive if,

Hammer continues to improve on his late season run of acceptable form - only needs slight improvement IMO
Nank can play deep forward and 2nd ruck
Griff perma CHF and ruck insurance
Jack 3rd tall role

Massive ifs on any of that happening.

If Nank can clunk a few marks and get 15 possies a week, I reckon with our midfield we can afford to forgo Hammers tap dominance and run with Nank.

Ideally though, and its a massive if,

Hammer continues to improve on his late season run of acceptable form - only needs slight improvement IMO
Nank can play deep forward and 2nd ruck
Griff perma CHF and ruck insurance
Jack 3rd tall role

Massive ifs on any of that happening.
Too top heavy.
I like Nankervis as our starting ruckman. Griff CHF and Jack traditional FF.
Nankervis to the bench, Griff to ruck and Jack roaming the ark maybe leading to the centre square with Dustin/Caddy, Rioli, Lloyd, Edwards/Short/Markov and Lennon playing a smaller, more mobile forward line. Just means we have to lower the eyes and hit up targets. Forward pressure is increased with a smaller team. Get out of jail kick is long down the line to Jack or Griff as a last resort.

Too top heavy.
I like Nankervis as our starting ruckman. Griff CHF and Jack traditional FF.
Nankervis to the bench, Griff to ruck and Jack roaming the ark maybe leading to the centre square with Dustin/Caddy, Rioli, Lloyd, Edwards/Short/Markov and Lennon playing a smaller, more mobile forward line. Just means we have to lower the eyes and hit up targets. Forward pressure is increased with a smaller team. Get out of jail kick is long down the line to Jack or Griff as a last resort.
I agree, but given our lack of a genuine 3rd tall, I think we need all 3.

Structure goes to s**t when one ruck goes to the bench

i would prefer Griff to stay away from the ruck position this year. He needs to spend 100% of his time in the forward line. If he can become a genuine CHF, without playing as 2nd ruck, it allows Jack to play deeper more often.
Nank and Hammer to play in the ruck and rotating forward to help out Jack is the best option, and Griff playing up the field more.
Nank is a pretty skillful player, who can mark and kick a goal, he will be a better foil for jack that Vick was.
Griff plays better when he plays second ruck as it gets him involved. An extra ruckman in the team means one fewer runner and then you have situations like last year where Griff or Vickery spent 10 minutes on the bench at a time.

I agree, but given our lack of a genuine 3rd tall, I think we need all 3.

Structure goes to s**t when one ruck goes to the bench
No, it doesn't. Play a smaller forward line. Martin or Cotchin out of the square. Lloyd. Lennon perhaps. Mobility is the key. Dinosaurs are gone. I hope Hampson doesn't play another game and we run with Nank/Griff. From the tweet about Nank being a Dimma fave who will start R1 in the ruck, I am hopeful this is the way we will go.

Going off the Age article from a few days ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hampson be our number 1 ruck with Nankervis providing support. I reckon the club will look for Griff to try and replace Vickery as the second tall next to Jack.

Nankervis also can rotate forward too it seems. Though given his tackling and physical style, I'd love to see him right in the thick of it with Prestia and Caddy to give us some much needed presence around the ball - an area we sorely need to improve on.

Reports on Nankervis are intriguing.
Spies in Queensland during the camp suggest he was manhandled, especially in rucking duels, by big Ivaaan.
Elsewhere he's burning on the training track and a competitive beast.
Backs the theory from, I think it was Mopsy, that he's largely an unproven talent still finding his way and it's the rucking side of things thta still needs plenty of work.

Had the pleasure of watching both sessions in Maroochydore and Ivan was nearly unrecognisable - he was much trimmer and had Nank's measure in everything they did. The second session Nank and Ivan did a gruelling session covering the entire forward 60metres, including boundary to boundary, running drills, getting the ball ups after leading marking and kicking, plenty of bullocking drills in the goal square, lead up drills, even agility drills. Nearly all of it competing against one another. I say again, I was amazed at Ivan's dominance. Had personally written him off at the end of 2016 - now am not so sure - think there might be a well managed season in Ivan yet.

Gotta love pipe dreams.There is just no way in hell you can afford to play Griffiths Nankervis and Hampson. Replace one of them with Vickery and your asking what the hell is changing.
It seems to me absolutely nothing is being learnt by supporters and if this is the clubs thinking the club as well.

We can afford to play one of Hampson, Maric or Nankervis as a freakin ruckman.we have a genuine quality kpf in JR, We need to find another because so far in 7 yrs Griffiths is not unfortunately for us and this rabble footy club he is the next best option fmd.
I can not believe this every man and his dog complains about the lack of pace and tackling in the fwd half and herewe are talking about , JR, Griffiths, Nankervis it is so slow and two are not even proven fwds .
We may as well have kept Vickery. There are clear areas that just have to improve in the fwd line and most are advocating we do almost exactly the same things that have failed horribly.

Can just one person tell me what the hell Nankervis has ever shown as a fwd outside of the odd good game in the neafl, Remember Townsend he looked a million bucks at that level.

When oh when are we ever going to play outright fwds in the fwd half. We play two in Jr and Lloyd and lo and behold they kick more goals than any one else.
Cmon it is smacking every one in the face time to open the eyes.

Gotta love pipe dreams.There is just no way in hell you can afford to play Griffiths Nankervis and Hampson. Replace one of them with Vickery and your asking what the hell is changing.
It seems to me absolutely nothing is being learnt by supporters and if this is the clubs thinking the club as well.

We can afford to play one of Hampson, Maric or Nankervis as a freakin ruckman.we have a genuine quality kpf in JR, We need to find another because so far in 7 yrs Griffiths is not unfortunately for us and this rabble footy club he is the next best option fmd.
I can not believe this every man and his dog complains about the lack of pace and tackling in the fwd half and herewe are talking about , JR, Griffiths, Nankervis it is so slow and two are not even proven fwds .
We may as well have kept Vickery. There are clear areas that just have to improve in the fwd line and most are advocating we do almost exactly the same things that have failed horribly.

Can just one person tell me what the hell Nankervis has ever shown as a fwd outside of the odd good game in the neafl, Remember Townsend he looked a million bucks at that level.

When oh when are we ever going to play outright fwds in the fwd half. We play two in Jr and Lloyd and lo and behold they kick more goals than any one else.
Cmon it is smacking every one in the face time to open the eyes.

Yep, better playing Edwards in the forward line than parking one of those big hoons there. All for resting a Ruckman there than sacrificing rotations, but the issue is not about which big man, we still have to get better big men, otherwise play better smaller men to al least kick some goals and create forward pressure. Crikey I'm in my 50's and can out run Nank still.:mad:

Had the pleasure of watching both sessions in Maroochydore and Ivan was nearly unrecognisable - he was much trimmer and had Nank's measure in everything they did. The second session Nank and Ivan did a gruelling session covering the entire forward 60metres, including boundary to boundary, running drills, getting the ball ups after leading marking and kicking, plenty of bullocking drills in the goal square, lead up drills, even agility drills. Nearly all of it competing against one another. I say again, I was amazed at Ivan's dominance. Had personally written him off at the end of 2016 - now am not so sure - think there might be a well managed season in Ivan yet.
Yep got the exact feedback from a mate.

The third man rule will benefit Hammer this year????
I can recall the third man going up about 10 times all year.
It won't make an iota of difference to most rucks as it simply doesn't happen all that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The third man rule will benefit Hammer this year????
I can recall the third man going up about 10 times all year.
It won't make an iota of difference to most rucks as it simply doesn't happen all that much.
The problem with this philosophy is that Hampson's so called only asset was his tap ruck work . So how can this improve it?? Mind boggling. Hampson's ineptness after the ruck contest is the issue and unless he improves in this area it will be as you say insignificant . If this concept happens to miraculously prove us wrong and actually occur then opposition rucks and mids will set up differently as to counteract him. As if 17 other clubs have been sitting on their arses worrying about Hampson's big advantage. I think they'd be more worried about manipulating and modifying their game plans so their team will best benefit from it.
PS. I would be surprised / pissed off if Hampson plays more than 6 games this year.

The problem with this philosophy is that Hampson's so called only asset was his tap ruck work . So how can this improve it?? Mind boggling. Hampson's ineptness after the ruck contest is the issue and unless he improves in this area it will be as you say insignificant . If this concept happens to miraculously prove us wrong and actually occur then opposition rucks and mids will set up differently as to counteract him. As if 17 other clubs have been sitting on their arses worrying about Hampson's big advantage. I think they'd be more worried about manipulating and modifying their game plans so their team will best benefit from it.
PS. I would be surprised / pissed off if Hampson plays more than 6 games this year.

I played under good coaches who would plain not pick Hammer because he does not work hard enough - or at all - around the ground. Clubs would be rubbing their hands together watching him line-up knowing he won't impact a contest. Our win-loss record with him in the team is ordinary.

I played under good coaches who would plain not pick Hammer because he does not work hard enough - or at all - around the ground. Clubs would be rubbing their hands together watching him line-up knowing he won't impact a contest. Our win-loss record with him in the team is ordinary.
Exactly. Even VFL coaches rub their hands together when Hampson is playing against them. I'm still puzzled on how this new rule change is going to help him with all the other deficiencies in his game .

Exactly. Even VFL coaches rub their hands together when Hampson is playing against them. I'm still puzzled on how this new rule change is going to help him with all the other deficiencies in his game .
It seriously beats me. The third man goes up, what, twice a contest?
Zero difference. It won't affect his ability to not get a kick ... or make that rare kick he get any better.

Can't see Soldo on the list next year. Looks like E grade standards. Think we'll only be drafting talls in the next draft. 2 forwards and a ruck. Can see Chol and Costagna being elevated and maybe Moore, Elton, Soldo, Morris, Maric, Butler, Morris, Hunt going.

Last edited:
Can't see Soldo on the list next year. Looks like E grade standards. Think we'll only be drafting talls in the next draft. 2 forwards and a ruck. Can see Chol and Costagna being elevated and maybe Moore, Elton, Soldo, Morris, Maric, Butler, Morris, Hunt going.
Didn't realise we had two morris' on our list. Which one did his ACL?

if he shows a bit of improvement i'd still give Moore a go on the rookie list next yr, we can keep him on it for 3 yrs.

if he shows a bit of improvement i'd still give Moore a go on the rookie list next yr, we can keep him on it for 3 yrs.

Yeah he might work out to be a good option. But we seem to have a few too many talls on the list fighting for the same spot. Just guessing that he might be one to go assuming Chol is the better long term option.

Yeah he might work out to be a good option. But we seem to have a few too many talls on the list fighting for the same spot. Just guessing that he might be one to go assuming Chol is the better long term option.
i'd keep both next yr if they show improvement this yr, Chol is still raw but he does compete well as seen on Sat, Moore played ok as well, took some good marks, his kicking still needs work tho.

Hamma has to be our number 1 ruck, if we play Maric or Nank against Gawn or Goldstein, we will get slaughtered..

Thats not Hampsons fault, he was one of our only shinning lighs last year..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back