Who gets the Ruck gig?

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Hampson our shining light, I must have been blinded by it. Ffs we aim low around here.
Aiming low or just a lack of genuine options.
Cmon we all intensely dislike parts of Hampsons game but atm he is a way better option than Nankervis.That may change.
Personally i think big IVAAAANN has one real good yr left in him so Ivan first ruck. The one we should be playing is Chol fwd ruck but mostly fwd foe now.
he would be a handful for any defense if he can get a handle on the game.Id even be tempted to play Cholly off the bench rotating thru the fwd half allowing Moore to get games.Can see it now the club once again foregoing development in search of dubious wins.

Nankervis for mine.
Oops didn't read The Prowlers post.

Thought he did well in the public intra club match.

Maric,when fit,has always been strong in the ruck and is a great leader on the ground and can kick a goal.

Ruck is a weird one,todays game isn't totally reliant on that position like the classic era of man on man football.

Richmond need to develop our list,one thing we are very poor at.

Even Dea looks way better at Essendon,was doing nothing at Richmond.

Balmey,sort em out.

All rucks should be firing on all cylinders.

Doggies won a flag with significant injuries,no more excuses.

Last edited:
Our major problem,reliant on one player to do the job.

When they get injured,then we fall apart.
Doggies stars got injured but they never crawled into the corner,someone took their spot and stepped up.

We go into panic stations when a star goes down.

Last edited:
Would love to see Maric back from the dead, proving wrong all those who who wrote him off
I was one who based on his body last year thought he was done - but gotta say I can see him now round one v Bloooos

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Thats not Hampsons fault, he was one of our only shinning lighs last year..
It was a so-so year, reflected in his equal 12th finish in the best and fairest. Sick of repeating it, but the guy offers virtually nothing - no competition, no output - once the ball is bounced or is thrown in.
It speaks volumes when the TV news refer to Hammer having a "breakout season" in 2016. Ten seasons in and he's produced a season you could call 'decent'.
And we gave up a second round pick for this bloke who has non-performed for 70 per cent or more of his Tigers career.
And people wonder why we never get better.

Snooza 100

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang Thirds. NewYork Knicks.
It was a so-so year, reflected in his equal 12th finish in the best and fairest. Sick of repeating it, but the guy offers virtually nothing - no competition, no output - once the ball is bounced or is thrown in.
It speaks volumes when the TV news refer to Hammer having a "breakout season" in 2016. Ten seasons in and he's produced a season you could call 'decent'.
And we gave up a second round pick for this bloke who has non-performed for 70 per cent or more of his Tigers career.
And people wonder why we never get better.
I agree with u hamma not worth the second we paid, our recruiting has been shite, unfortunatly i think hes our best option in ruck until Soldo comes through, im undecided on Nank cos he played only 12 games, and looks undersized to me..

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Aiming low or just a lack of genuine options.
Cmon we all intensely dislike parts of Hampsons game but atm he is a way better option than Nankervis.That may change.
Personally i think big IVAAAANN has one real good yr left in him so Ivan first ruck. The one we should be playing is Chol fwd ruck but mostly fwd foe now.
he would be a handful for any defense if he can get a handle on the game.Id even be tempted to play Cholly off the bench rotating thru the fwd half allowing Moore to get games.Can see it now the club once again foregoing development in search of dubious wins.
Agree with everything except that Hampson is a better option than Nakkers. Nakkers has way more improvement and upside in terms of the longer picture as we have at least two years of hard work to do. I would of be preparing Nakkers and Soldo for 18/19.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Griff and Nankervis, both offer something when the ball hits the turf. Griffiths looks stronger, just needs to get some preseason games into him. Nankervis just because he's a bull. Special mention to Soldo who didn't tire out as the game went and probably took the honours over his cus yesterday.

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Our major problem,reliant on one player do do the job.

When they get injured,then we fall apart.
Doggies stars got injured but they never crawled into the corner,someone took their spot and stepped up.

We go into panic stations when a star goes down.
for mine this is where, now that Lids has left, they need to get over the "no Lids no Tigers" mindset that has seemed to exist in the past. 22 guys play each week so we can't be relying on a handful.
as said above the Dogs won the Flag with a huge injury toll so it's not an excuse.

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
I agree with u hamma not worth the second we paid, our recruiting has been shite, unfortunatly i think hes our best option in ruck until Soldo comes through, im undecided on Nank cos he played only 12 games, and looks undersized to me..
he's 3cm taller than Mumford & same weight. is a similar type player so he'll be fine for us.
was rested yesterday so i am guess he plays JLT1

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Agree with everything except that Hampson is a better option than Nakkers. Nakkers has way more improvement and upside in terms of the longer picture as we have at least two years of hard work to do. I would of be preparing Nakkers and Soldo for 18/19.

It's the Richmond way Imposter. Hang on and play the bloke who is just good enough to get you beaten because that's being competitvie and shun the future and development of the younger guy.
Hampson is not going to lead us to a premiership, or even finals, so why not just get games into young Toby now so he's ready when we are ready in two or three years time (fingers crossed).
We've been holding ground and trying to be competitive for years.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
It's the Richmond way Imposter. Hang on and play the bloke who is just good enough to get you beaten because that's being competitvie and shun the future and development of the younger guy.
Hampson is not going to lead us to a premiership, or even finals, so why not just get games into young Toby now so he's ready when we are ready in two or three years time (fingers crossed).
We've been holding ground and trying to be competitive for years.
This policy has frustrated me for decades.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
We should hope so, but GD and myself were referring to mopsy's point which he suggested otherwise.
Mopsy I think suggests playing Ivan Maric if I'm reading it right. I'm sorry because I think Maric was finished quite a while ago, just smashed by the bigger and more mobile ruck man. I even thought although he played okay yesterday, Soldo beat him and offered way more around the ground. Maybe he's thrown his hat in the ring against the other two ruck man. By holding on to Ivan, we are guilty of doing as Mopsy said, hanging on to average players. One thing is certain, we can only play with one ruck and Griffiths. Mopsy also suggested playing Chol and or Moore, which I quite like the idea of, although I think Lennon has nudged those guys out (providing he shows some form in the lead up games).

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Mopsy I think suggests playing Ivan Maric if I'm reading it right. I'm sorry because I think Maric was finished quite a while ago, just smashed by the bigger and more mobile ruck man. I even thought although he played okay yesterday, Soldo beat him and offered way more around the ground. Maybe he's thrown his hat in the ring against the other two ruck man. By holding on to Ivan, we are guilty of doing as Mopsy said, hanging on to average players. One thing is certain, we can only play with one ruck and Griffiths. Mopsy also suggested playing Chol and or Moore, which I quite like the idea of, although I think Lennon has nudged those guys out (providing he shows some form in the lead up games).
Agree , but he mentioned Hampson was at this stage a better option than Nakkers and this was what I responded to. I agreed with everything else he stated.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators

We ALL have been wrong at some point and will be again, but on Maric I will say this: Jesus died and rose from the dead. Maric returning to something near his 2012-15 form would be something as remarkable. I was happy for him to replace Hampson when he got injured last season but it was pretty obvious there was near nought left in the tank. A fine servant - one we worked into the ground - but he appeared shot. When the words 'transitioning to coaching' keep getting mentioned. I don't hold out hope maric is part ofg the long-time or even short-term plan otrher than up in the coaching box. But as I suggested, Jesus was resurrected. Stranger things are happen, but it appears a long shot.

Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Gotta love pipe dreams.There is just no way in hell you can afford to play Griffiths Nankervis and Hampson. Replace one of them with Vickery and your asking what the hell is changing.
It seems to me absolutely nothing is being learnt by supporters and if this is the clubs thinking the club as well.

We can afford to play one of Hampson, Maric or Nankervis as a freakin ruckman.we have a genuine quality kpf in JR, We need to find another because so far in 7 yrs Griffiths is not unfortunately for us and this rabble footy club he is the next best option fmd.
I can not believe this every man and his dog complains about the lack of pace and tackling in the fwd half and herewe are talking about , JR, Griffiths, Nankervis it is so slow and two are not even proven fwds .
We may as well have kept Vickery. There are clear areas that just have to improve in the fwd line and most are advocating we do almost exactly the same things that have failed horribly.

Can just one person tell me what the hell Nankervis has ever shown as a fwd outside of the odd good game in the neafl, Remember Townsend he looked a million bucks at that level.

When oh when are we ever going to play outright fwds in the fwd half. We play two in Jr and Lloyd and lo and behold they kick more goals than any one else.
Cmon it is smacking every one in the face time to open the eyes.

Absolutely agree. The team plays better with one genuine ruck. We can't go in with two rucks. It has to be Griffiths as the chop out ruckman. Can we squeeze a year out of Maric. What a story if we can.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 7, 2009
melbourne, australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Shrewsbury FC
I think its in dimwits blood to play 3 tall forwards which make me think if hammer is 80% fit he will play forward and help either nank or ivan in the ruck.
Not what id go with. Id play nank with griff and griggs chopping him out.
If ivan plays a senior game this year either hammer and nank are injured or he is playing brilliant footy in the vfl. I wouldnt play ivan unless we had to as it would be a step backwards.
He is too slow and cant jump and wont be there next year. Hes an insurance policy only

Back