Who gets the Ruck gig?

Remove this Banner Ad

HERE'S the thing. Richmond played some good - and at times exceptional footy - in 2013 and again in the latter part of 2014, while big Ivan was up and firing. Like Nankervis, he created a presence around the contest, actually got his hands on the football, took contested marks and occasionally hit the scoreboard. Hampson is a fine tap ruckman - one of the best - but that's where it starts and ends - he contributes nowhere else. It'[s no surprise or coincidence our pre-season form has been good when three quarters of the team walks taller.

HERE'S the thing. Richmond played some good - and at times exceptional footy - in 2013 and again in the latter part of 2014, while big Ivan was up and firing. Like Nankervis, he created a presence around the contest, actually got his hands on the football, took contested marks and occasionally hit the scoreboard. Hampson is a fine tap ruckman - one of the best - but that's where it starts and ends - he contributes nowhere else. It'[s no surprise or coincidence our pre-season form has been good when three quarters of the team walks taller.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. What he lacks in his ability to win the tap in the center square, he more than makes up for when the ball hits the ground. He really does remind me of Maric when he first arrived. The similarities are eerie in many ways. Both made/make our midfield better through their pressure, shepherding, tackling and aggression. We effectively gain an extra inside midfielder over the opposition. Where Nakervis has it over Maric at his prime is his marking. Nank seems to be able to clunk them from everywhere.

When Maric first came into the team we began to win. This is no coincidence. I think bringing Nank into our team will have a similar effect. I don't think he will ever win the ruck duel but, unlike Hampson, he will make our team stronger across the ground.

If we are finding that we are getting well beaten in the center square duels with Nankervis our primary ruck and are being hurt with clearances as a result, I would play Hampson in the center square with Nank forward. I would then immediately switch Nank into the stoppage ruck duels and Hampson forward once the center square contest is over. I wouldn't play Griff in this scenario but I do not predict this becoming an issue. I think our midfield strength and Nank's strength in this way will make us an infinitely better team.

If we are finding that we are getting well beaten in the center square duels with Nankervis our primary ruck and are being hurt with clearances as a result, I would play Hampson in the center square with Nank forward. I would then immediately switch Nank into the stoppage ruck duels and Hampson forward once the center square contest is over. I wouldn't play Griff in this scenario but I do not predict this becoming an issue. I think our midfield strength and Nank's strength in this way will make us an infinitely better team.
I haven't seen any of the JLT's but have been starting to think if Griff can't do better we may need to look at doing this, playing Nank as the starting forward with Hammer as ruck.
I'm no huge fan of hammers due to his lack of impact around the ground, but we have to work with what we have.
Hopefully Griff can find some form though.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. What he lacks in his ability to win the tap in the center square, he more than makes up for when the ball hits the ground. He really does remind me of Maric when he first arrived. The similarities are eerie in many ways. Both made/make our midfield better through their pressure, shepherding, tackling and aggression. We effectively gain an extra inside midfielder over the opposition. Where Nakervis has it over Maric at his prime is his marking. Nank seems to be able to clunk them from everywhere.

When Maric first came into the team we began to win. This is no coincidence. I think bringing Nank into our team will have a similar effect. I don't think he will ever win the ruck duel but, unlike Hampson, he will make our team stronger across the ground.

The cream on the cake for mine is that the kid is just starting his career not halfway through it or near the end as mostly happens when you trade in a ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back