Prediction Who gets to the next level in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll go with the 6 to thrive under RTB ( excluding Windhager coz he is a given).
Hill, Sharmanator, Mitchoto,Higgins,Billings, Jones.
Special mention for Bytel and Leo Connelly if they get a go to have a gošŸ˜‰
I reckon Longy could have turned in his rnd 23 numbers regularly under Ross.
Billings and Jones are two tantalising nominations. Jones has some fantastic attributes that can make us a harder team to play against but Billings has the capability to be a real A grader if he ever reaches his full potential.

Sinclair will go up another level if Hayes/RTB use him through the midfield. He now has the tools and the maturity to become a game breaker playing in the mids.

Rowan Marshall will get his first year as the No 1 ruckman for some time. If he can remain injury free, he will become one of the premier ruckman of the competition.

Cooper Sharman will go to another level just through the opportunity that will come his way whilst Max King is out. Hopefully he can take his game to the level his potential displayed in 2021.

Windhager will become our version of Petracca, from the outset I thought he would be a player. By the end of next year he will be a highly rated midfielder across the competition.

Finally Higgins, because it would seem for the first time since his operation/s he is running on top of the ground. He is super fit, so if he can have some luck with injury he will go to another level.

On the other side there will be a number of players who will have to lift to keep their positions in the starting 23 - Clark, Billings, Jones, Webster, Paton & possibly Gresham depending on fitness.

Keen to see what Jack Hayes can do if he gets a good crack at it. He won't die wondering I reckon.
Jack Hayes is another I reckon can shine.
Nasiah as well with a structured game plan that has him ball in hand delivering into the forward line...into the middle or out to the wing to break the lines ...frothage...he also has great vision with handballs given.

We have so many players I think that have a higher ceiling, but I think the below 3 will be highly likely to improve massively:
Coff - missed all last season, I hope we stick him on hbf. Has the traits to be a Whitfield type
Windhager - absolutely tearing it up on the track, is definitely hungry
Higgins - shown in the first few rounds he can be an elite small forward

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There will be some obscure dude on the list that LITHIUM LYON will adopt as his very own, right out of left field! There will be an exhaustive "WTF" and everyone will get on board!
Ryan Byrnes šŸ˜†

The obvious one is Windhager. Has come back in scintillating shape and looks like he will take his game to another level. The good thing is he's going into a midfield with Steele and Crouch so we don't need him to be the top dog, just to do his thing and improve.

The other two I'm looking at closely...

Sharman. Seems to have come back in much better condition. He has great skills both in kicking and marking, maybe lacked a little for strength but I feel like he has been working hard and will have an impact this year. His type of player is vital in the modern game, would love him to become our Mihocek.

Nasiah. Another who seems to have been working hard and looks fitter and stronger. If he gets going he could be elite either across half back or the wing. Will be a nervous wait for his signature this year.

And special mention to Jack Higgins who looks enormous, can't wait to see how he impacts this year. If he can hit his potential we have an elite player on our hands in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Hayes is another I reckon can shine.
Nasiah as well with a structured game plan that has him ball in hand delivering into the forward line...into the middle or out to the wing to break the lines ...frothage...he also has great vision with handballs given.
NWM has been super impressive in match sim playing off half back.

The obvious one is Windhager. Has come back in scintillating shape and looks like he will take his game to another level. The good thing is he's going into a midfield with Steele and Crouch so we don't need him to be the top dog, just to do his thing and improve.

The other two I'm looking at closely...

Sharman. Seems to have come back in much better condition. He has great skills both in kicking and marking, maybe lacked a little for strength but I feel like he has been working hard and will have an impact this year. His type of player is vital in the modern game, would love him to become our Mihocek.

Nasiah. Another who seems to have been working hard and looks fitter and stronger. If he gets going he could be elite either across half back or the wing. Will be a nervous wait for his signature this year.

And special mention to Jack Higgins who looks enormous, can't wait to see how he impacts this year. If he can hit his potential we have an elite player on our hands in my opinion.
Bingo. What he said. I predict that with no injuries those three will be wonderful to watch.

Ryan Byrnes šŸ˜†
As with alot of fringe players that usually end up busts, I quite like Ronnie (new haircut excluded).
I remember (loose) comparisons when he was drafted to Jack Steven. Doesnt appear to have the same level of natural talent and goal sense, but I can see some of the same athletic attributes and style of play.
Yeah he can struggle to find the ball and have an impact and that will probably make or break his career, but he always cracks in and appears like he's one of the crew that really trains hard and will leave no stone unturned, so I can respect that.
Im obviously a horrible judge but if it does click for Byrnes, wouldnt that be a gift from nowhere!

Ben Paton is a Ross Lyon special, only a broken leg slowed his progression to becoming one of the games best lockdown small defenders.
I like Paton; pre Roughead leg snap he seemed a very confident and competent small defender. This year coming back he seemed to doubt himself and when he had ball at times his skills really lacked quality, wait and see, could be a Lyon special who thrives under his coaching.

The player I see going next level this year is Coffield. Pre his injury last year, all reports he was ready to rip it apart. Pre injury and confidence up I've seen him at times be an A-grade intercepting defender, that at times has a great penetrating kick... If he can put it together consistently, he'll be our next new All Australian. Fingers crossed it comes together for him.

Go saints and merry Christmas to you all šŸ§‘ā€šŸŽ„

I like Paton; pre Roughead leg snap he seemed a very confident and competent small defender. This year coming back he seemed to doubt himself and when he had ball at times his skills really lacked quality, wait and see, could be a Lyon special who thrives under his coaching.

The player I see going next level this year is Coffield. Pre his injury last year, all reports he was ready to rip it apart. Pre injury and confidence up I've seen him at times be an A-grade intercepting defender, that at times has a great penetrating kick... If he can put it together consistently, he'll be our next new All Australian. Fingers crossed it comes together for him.

Go saints and merry Christmas to you all šŸ§‘ā€šŸŽ„
Paton is a little underrated in my opinion. If you look at his numbers this year he matches Jimmy Webster in almost every regard, but averages twice as many tackles and more contested possessions, intercepts and metres gained. His disposal efficiency though tends to let him down and I think we judge him a little harshly on that.

Seasons Greetings Sainters!!

It's that time of the year when not much is happening to satiate our unquenchable desire to know exactly how our beloved Saints are gearing up for the new season. Over the next 14 days it's entirely up to ourselves to provide the entertainment, however there is only so much George and Dard Ball Get romancing the stone interactions you can bear witness to, before a laugh turns into a thin grimace.

And no Barrels, we do NOT need a best 22 of St Kilda players who could have played test cricket, although their are a pair of 35's that would absolutely make that team.

Suffice to say that, the ground is fertile for a prediction thread. Or two. So I thought I might kick one off and ask you all to name your top 3 players who are likely to break their own performance barriers and push through to the next level. So ladies and gents tell us which players you think are on the up and why. And I don't just mean which best 22 players are tracking to become elite. It can be anyone in the Saint Kilda family who you think is going to make a bigger impression in 2023.

My 3?

3. Brendan Goddard. Had a taste of coaching last year, albeit at VAFA level. The arrival of Ross Lyon has gifted him an opportunity to get involved again at the highest level and impart his knowledge gleaned from 205 games with the Saints and over 100 more at the Bombers. By all reports he is relishing being amongst it again, and I think he is gong to be a very important cog in the wheel for the Saints not just in his teaching role but also with his game day thinking.

2. Cooper Sharman. I can't help but feel like the Sharminator has been stung by his inability to crack the St Kilda forward line last year. Even before Max King went down he put in the effort and has hit the track this year noticeably bigger. He hasn't neglected his running however, and has been prominent in the running drills this far. We all know what a pure set shot kick he is, but his reaction time and decision making is seriously good. Cooper gets the opportunity to become the spearhead up front in 2023, and I think he is primed to seize the day.

1. Marcus Windhager. We found one here didn't we lads. He blew up the track when the first to fourth years returned, and not much changed when the senior players folded back in to training. He's hungry, he's seriously tough and his running levels now almost demand that he be given a pure midfield role. I think Marcus takes another step up from what was a fantastic debut year just in terms of his size and athleticism alone. If the coaching staff can hone his instincts and improve his kick then he's a chance to take the whole competition by storm.
Just an update mate, myself and Dard Ball Get have agreed to smooch as the clock strikes midnight tomorrow xo

Will send details as I know you're in WA - won't want to miss it xoxo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back