Who had best historic All Time 22?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I get the sense, Laurie Nash, Peter Bosustow and Steve Johnson were cut from the same cloth.

By all reports Nash was another level up the ladder.

He was a superstar on the Matthews/Carey/Skilton level.

Jack Dyer rated him the best player he ever saw.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Yes, he is one of the players from 1930's I would love to go back in a time machine and watch myself.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Nash's bui hardly screams top 5 player of all time...

Personal information
Original team(s)
City (NTFA)
Debut Round 1, 1933, South Melbourne
vs. Carlton, at Princes Park
Height 175 cm (5 ft 9 in)
Weight 82 kg (181 lb)
Playing career1
Years
Club Games (Goals)
1933–1937, 1945
South Melbourne 99 (246)
Coaching career
Years
Club Games (W–L–D)
South Melbourne 18 (9–9–0)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1945.
Career highlights

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Those 246 goals were kicked by a bloke who played many of his games at centre half back and who once kicked 18 goals for Victoria.

Laurie_Nash1937.jpg

He played 4 seasons in the VFA at his peak and kicked 418 goals in 78 games.

The war, of course, smashed his games tally.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
You could say that. Kouta had the ability to play most positions on the ground.And was seen as a phenomenon in the comp in 99. Crawford won the brownlow and AFLPA MVP that year.

Would 22 Kouta's beat 22 Diesels or 22 Judds?

That was actually 2000. Kouta won the MVP that season. Woewodin won the Brownlow. 99’ was his PF heroics.

I’d back 22 circa 2000 Kouta’s over 22 Judds or Diesels or anyone. Just too versatile and athletic.

That was actually 2000. Kouta won the MVP that season. Woewodin won the Brownlow. 99’ was his PF heroics.

I’d back 22 circa 2000 Kouta’s over 22 Judds or Diesels or anyone. Just too versatile and athletic.
People blow their load about Dangerfield but Kouta's best was a lot, lot better.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yep 1989 you win by 4 goals with Diesel in middle and Bernard Toohey off half back.

I forgot about Bolton on the wing too. Make it a 5 goal win over the Hawks. Given Swans were over the cap by nearly double in 1987, maybe Cats should retrospectively get back those 3 players that Swans should not have been able to afford to get from you. :p

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Been reminiscing with a few Carlton and Saints mates about creating a best 22 from our club's history and how they'd fare against each other.

Obviously we are a but limited by our age (all mid 20s) but:

-Who's in your all time 22 &
-How do they stack up?

Rules: Must have played at least 50 games for your club or at least had a significant contribution (Sam Mitchell doesn't count for WCE but Judd does)

Carlton's

Doull Silvagni Docherty
Kouta Southby Mckay

Nicholls Judd Williams
Bradley Ratten Barassi

Kernahan Jesaulenko
Bradley Fevola Betts

Johnston Sexton Hands Murphy

This would be better ;

Harmes Silvagni Southby
James Doull Hunter

Crane Williams Bradley
Nichols Serge Silvagni ; Gallagher

Jesaulenko Kernahan Johnston
Fitzpatrick Vallence Ashman

Chitty Kouta Judd Crosswell

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
This would be better ;

Harmes Silvagni Southby
James Doull Hunter

Crane Williams Bradley
Nichols Serge Silvagni ; Gallagher

Jesaulenko Kernahan Johnston
Fitzpatrick Vallence Ashman

Chitty Kouta Judd Crosswell

How did you weigh up Rod McGregor to decide guys like Williams, Judd, Gallagher, Kouta and Crosswell before him? They may well be better but who really knows given we not even seen McGregor.
These are type of challenges I would struggle to feel sure about trying an all time team.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
This is the blues TOTC

Bruce Comben Stephen Silvagni Geoff Southby
HB John James Bert Deacon Bruce Doull
C Garry Crane Greg Williams Craig Bradley
HF Wayne Johnston Stephen Kernahan (C) Alex Jesaulenko
F Ken Hands Harry Vallence Rod Ashman
R John Nicholls Serge Silvagni Adrian Gallagher
I/C Robert Walls Mike Fitzpatrick Ken Hunter
Trevor Keogh
Emerg Laurie Kerr Horrie Clover Bob Chitty
Rod McGregor
Coach David Parkin

I'd suggest from that (selected in 2000) that we slot in Kouta, Fevola, Judd and tbh Brett Ratten. At whose expense, I've got no idea. The panel that picked this side must have spanned so many years of watching the baggers week in week out. Also, never saw Kenny Hunter live, but can't believe he isn't named on the field. Perhaps a victim of our strength down back and his own versatility and the fact that probably the greatest proper 'Utility' of all time in Jezza has already been slotted in on one HFF.

ThaiTiger

Cancelled
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's an interesting case study. Historically, man is forever evolving. We are getting bigger, stronger and faster everyday. Could a Fred Goldsmith really outplay an Alex Rance? Or could Haydn Bunton outplay Dustin Martin? Could John Coleman really fly as high as Jack Reiwoldt?

Historically, I believe that the best team is: Richmond 2017

Last edited:

Jack Bradley

Premiership Player
Jul 14, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I have fond memories of Corey Mckernan toweling up Kouta in the 99 grand final. I thought Corey was stiff not to win the Norm Smith.

How would u compare Mckernans 1996 to Koutas 99?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I have fond memories of Corey Mckernan toweling up Kouta in the 99 grand final. I thought Corey was stiff not to win the Norm Smith.

How would u compare Mckernans 1996 to Koutas 99?

Kouta had to get moved off Corey to get Carlton in to the game.

McKernan then took to Manton.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
B: Corey Enright - Matthew Scarlett - Bernie Smith
HB: Andrew Mackie - Reg Hickey - Dick Grigg
C: Alistair Lord - Gary Ablett Jr - Garry Hocking
HF: Peter Riccardi - Bill Brownless - Gary Ablett Sr
F: Paul Chapman - Doug Wade - Steve Johnson
R: Graham Farmer - Bill Goggin - Joel Selwood
I/C: John Newman - Ian Nankervis - Bob Davis - Fred Flanagan
not bad except one unbelievable inclusion on half back flank.

Here is a list of half back flankers at geelong in just the last 30 years who are all clearly ahead of mackie: Hinkley, Bos, Mansfield, Milburn. Colbert streets better as well although didnt play much game time at hb. Mackie is about the equivalent of Sanderson and Paul Brown.

Wow Mackie. Are you serious? Im speechless.

not bad except one unbelievable inclusion on half back flank.

Here is a list of half back flankers at geelong in just the last 30 years who are all clearly ahead of mackie: Hinkley, Bos, Mansfield, Milburn. Colbert streets better as well although didnt play much game time at hb. Mackie is about the equivalent of Sanderson and Paul Brown.

Wow Mackie. Are you serious? Im speechless.
You don't get 280 games in one of our most dominant era's by being a chump. I'll give you Bos and I've already stated Milburn is stiff.
Mansfield, Sanderson, Brown and Judas were failures. They didn't succeed.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
You don't get 280 games in one of our most dominant era's by being a chump. I'll give you Bos and I've already stated Milburn is stiff.
Mansfield, Sanderson, Brown and Judas were failures. They didn't succeed.
no ones calling mackie a dud. he is a good to great player, but you are talking about one of our two best ever half back flankers for our club. Mackie aint even in the conversation.

Mansfield and Hinkley are multiple all australian winners and not debateable all australians either. players who clearly were the best half back flankers in the comp in more than one year. Mackie has never reached the level. His best effort was sneaking onto the all australian bench once. Mackie never got close to a best and fairest. Hinkley won it in a year when we finished top of the ladder and played in the grand final. That season was one of the best seasons by a back flanker in the past 30 years at any club.

Bos is a duel best and fairest winner. even sando won one. Mackie never got close. and colbert is one of the most talented back flankers ive seen but needed to play up the ground and then injury ruined his chances of becoming one of the greats.

Mackie and milburn are similar in achievements and probably playing ability. I would tip it Milburns way just due to being a far better defensive player. In any case neither milburn or mackie are at the top of this list. Geelong have had an awful lot of good back flankers and thats just in my time. Might even be someone better before then.

rest of the team is pretty good although i would put in danger and have stoneham ahead of brownless as a centre half forward on talent. Pretty good team but the mackie selection is a big outlier.

no ones calling mackie a dud. he is a good to great player, but you are talking about one of our two best ever half back flankers for our club. Mackie aint even in the conversation.

Mansfield and Hinkley are multiple all australian winners and not debateable all australians either. players who clearly were the best half back flankers in the comp in more than one year. Mackie has never reached the level. His best effort was sneaking onto the all australian bench. Mackie never got close to a best and fairest. Hinkley won it in a year when we finished top of the ladder and played in the grand final. That season was one of the best seasons by a back flanker in the past 30 years at any club.

Bos is a duel best and fairest winner. even sando won one. Mackie never got close. and colbert is one of the most talented back flankers ive seen but need to play up the ground and then injury ruined his chances of becoming one of the greats.

Mackie and milburn are similar in achievements and probably playing ability. I would tip it Milburns way just due to being a far better defensive player. In any case neither milburn or mackie are at the top of this list. Geelong have had an awful lot of good back flankers and thats just in my time. Might even be someone better before than all of them.

rest of the team is pretty good although i would put in danger and have stoneham ahead of brownless as a centre half forward on talent. Pretty good team but the mackie selection is a big outlier.
Look. We're likely not to agree but don't use B&F's as it depends on the quality of the side you're in. As a Blicavs detractor you should know this.
Sando got his in a year we badly missed finals. Same as Bos, even though I have conceded him as an oversight. If a defender is winning your B&F is generally indicates something.

Back