Who had best historic All Time 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley probably the unluckiest as dual premiership captain. I was tossing up between him & Bassett for the 7th defender bench spot.

McDermott got pipped by his fellow Mac mate on the bench.

A Jarman played his best footy before the Crows & I would probably have him in my state side as had a great record against the Victorians.
You couldn't find room for Lever ?

This thread is more for the old timers, I’m happy to take a backseat and read through. Even some of Collingwood’s, I’ve never heard of/seen play.
Do you have a copy of the history of your club ?? if not i highly recommend you buy one, they are fantastic reference to all the players and staff and management you have not seen or heard of, i have the Richmond one and its brilliant reading , especially how our club was formed and the early beginning , ,, i hope all afl followers can read the history of there own clubs its well worth it,

I was surprised they had Riccardi, Brownless and Mackie, but Enright is a lock. One of the great medium size defenders of all time.
Simple. Unlike some who are happy to shoehorn a midfielder into the back pocket, we've actually tried to pick players in some semblance of position.

Riccardi: 16th at the club for goals. Named at HFF, the listed HFF's in the TOTC were Ablett Sr and Davis. Both made my side. The forward pockets were Pianto and Young, both of which had less goals than games. Riccardi whilst also a midfielder also spent time at HFF. Those ahead of him for goals (not in the side) comprise Full Forwards: Hawkins, Hagger, Donohue, White, Martini, Moloney, Mooney. Goalsneak Cliff Rankin. A case could be made for Bright or Clarke Sr but not egregiously wrong.

Brownless: Well it's him or Flanagan. We haven't had many prolific CHF's. Shoehorning Ablett, Donohue, Hawkins et al there doesn't seem right.
Mackie: Cursed_Cat makes a good case for Milburn. Not too many come to mind from era's past. Maybe Mark Bos.
Enright: Lock.

Yeah true... it is not really a forward line to play a game is it.

I also feel really strange having Pritchard in the team. But could he run and kick, and all day, and very brave, and in finals, so i don't know.
I'd go into any game, any time, with that forward line, 100% confident that it would defeat all comers. It would probably beat a combined VFL/AFL best 22 of all time....

I'd go into any game, any time, with that forward line, 100% confident that it would defeat all comers. It would probably beat a combined VFL/AFL best 22 of all time....

Yeah. It is hard to be objective, but i would back our GOAT team to beat every other.

I wish there was a survey.

Simple. Unlike some who are happy to shoehorn a midfielder into the back pocket, we've actually tried to pick players in some semblance of position.

Riccardi: 16th at the club for goals. Named at HFF, the listed HFF's in the TOTC were Ablett Sr and Davis. Both made my side. The forward pockets were Pianto and Young, both of which had less goals than games. Riccardi whilst also a midfielder also spent time at HFF. Those ahead of him for goals (not in the side) comprise Full Forwards: Hawkins, Hagger, Donohue, White, Martini, Moloney, Mooney. Goalsneak Cliff Rankin. A case could be made for Bright or Clarke Sr but not egregiously wrong.

Brownless: Well it's him or Flanagan. We haven't had many prolific CHF's. Shoehorning Ablett, Donohue, Hawkins et al there doesn't seem right.
Mackie: Cursed_Cat makes a good case for Milburn. Not too many come to mind from era's past. Maybe Mark Bos.

Without wanting to be impolite, i`m glad you have not put P Couch in your team. perhaps one of the lesser brownlow medalists.

Without wanting to be impolite, i`m glad you have not put P Couch in your team. perhaps one of the lesser brownlow medalists.
Without wanting to be impolite. Should I take you seriously when you had no Enright.
Genuine great bank flanker of the game.

I understand you have to make a decision, but surely your TOC would have had better options than Riccardi.

He was a good player, but I'd be amazed if he's in your best team in over 100 years.

Brownless was good too, but I couldn't fit David Neitz in my Melbourne team and he's a better player than Brownless ever was.

Without wanting to be impolite. Should I take you seriously when you had no Enright.
Genuine great bank flanker of the game.

I didn't omit Enright from your team, seriously. it was finding a place for Bartell who i rate higher (but only 4 days of the week).

I do wish desperate Carlton fans would stop claiming Greg Williams as one of theirs....bloke will always be a Swannie.
I have always happily acknowledged Lockett should be picked as a Saints player first.
Judd is WCE. Dangerfield is still well and truly Adelaide etc etc
Btw...North fans, John Rantall is a swannie as well.
Dont like it ? Oh dear thats too bad.
No need to double up with so many greats of the game available.
Agree. That is why I left out Quinlan, he played his best at Fitzroy and won a Brownlow. I picked Dempsey in the Dogs team for that reason.

FB: Gavin Wanganeen - Dustin Fletcher - Neale Daniher
HB: Mark Thompson - Tom Fitzmaurice - Mark Harvey
MF: Tim Watson - Jack Clarke - Michael Long
HF: Leon Baker - Matthew Lloyd - James Hird
FF: Keith Forbes - John Coleman - Paul Salmon
OB: Simon Madden - Dick Reynolds (c) - Bill Hutchison
IC: Barry Davis - Mark Mercuri - Garry Foulds - Terry Daniher

Really tough to omit the like of Hugh Mitchell, Geoff Leek, Jack Jones, Graham Moss, Jobe Watson and Scott Lucas.

FB: Gavin Wanganeen - Dustin Fletcher - Neale Daniher
HB: Mark Thompson - Tom Fitzmaurice - Mark Harvey
MF: Tim Watson - Jack Clarke - Michael Long
HF: Leon Baker - Matthew Lloyd - James Hird
FF: Keith Forbes - John Coleman - Paul Salmon
OB: Simon Madden - Dick Reynolds (c) - Bill Hutchison
IC: Barry Davis - Mark Mercuri - Garry Foulds - Terry Daniher

Really tough to omit the like of Hugh Mitchell, Geoff Leek, Jack Jones, Graham Moss, Jobe Watson and Scott Lucas.

Derrick Kickett omitted again!

Derrick Kickett omitted again!
Derek Kickett was an entertaining player but wouldn't make the 4th best 22* of all time at Essendon if we're being realistic.

*It's an exaggeration but I'm sure Essendon had 24 forwards better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derek Kickett was an entertaining player but wouldn't make the 4th best 22* of all time at Essendon if we're being realistic.

*It's an exaggeration but I'm sure Essendon had 24 forwards better than him.

Please don't exaggerate in future*

*Your apology is accepted.

I understand you have to make a decision, but surely your TOC would have had better options than Riccardi.

He was a good player, but I'd be amazed if he's in your best team in over 100 years.
I'd love to have 700 goal flanker like Blight but we don't. If you're picking guys in position then there aren't any stand out options.
Could play Chapman there but then have the same problem at FP. So he'd be in the mix but there's no standout for that 2nd HFF position.
Brownless was good too, but I couldn't fit David Neitz in my Melbourne team and he's a better player than Brownless ever was.
So? I could name a couple of Fullbacks better than your choice. Could name 2-3 rucks better than yours too.
All TOTC have different strengths, CHF in ours clearly isn't it. He's kicked the most goals for CHF's at the club.

Do you have a copy of the history of your club ?? if not i highly recommend you buy one, they are fantastic reference to all the players and staff and management you have not seen or heard of, i have the Richmond one and its brilliant reading , especially how our club was formed and the early beginning , ,, i hope all afl followers can read the history of there own clubs its well worth it,
Ive got extensive knowledge of the history of the CFC but unfortunately there’s only so much you can read over and over supported by statistics. I’d love to have footage of the 4peat, watch Gordon Coventry kick 17 goals and see the Collier brothers run around together dominating. I still watch the 1990 GF to see the likes of Daicos and Millane running around, it’s great to see.

I'd love to have 700 goal flanker like Blight but we don't. If you're picking guys in position then there aren't any stand out options.
Could play Chapman there but then have the same problem at FP. So he'd be in the mix but there's no standout for that 2nd HFF position.

So? I could name a couple of Fullbacks better than your choice. Could name 2-3 rucks better than yours too.
All TOTC have different strengths, CHF in ours clearly isn't it. He's kicked the most goals for CHF's at the club.

What about Bluey McGrath?

Spent time in defence and Brownless had 4 seasons with more goals than his highest return (39) and two of those were double that number.

Fair argument.

I really rate Brownless and consider him underrated. it is just a bit jarring to see him in the GFC TOAT.

Brownless had a ridiculous kick and leap and great hands; he lacked the physicality perhaps. What do i know.

Ive got extensive knowledge of the history of the CFC but unfortunately there’s only so much you can read over and over supported by statistics. I’d love to have footage of the 4peat, watch Gordon Coventry kick 17 goals and see the Collier brothers run around together dominating. I still watch the 1990 GF to see the likes of Daicos and Millane running around, it’s great to see.
No argument there my pie friend

far out that's a good side

no room for bickley, A Jarman or McDermott though?
Ps. How about a Port side. Here is my crack at one.

B: Wilson, Wakelin, Wanganeen
HB. N Stevens, C Cornes, Cassisi
C: K Cornes, Carr, Boak
HF: Gray, Tredrea, P Burgoyne
F: Lade, Schultz, Wingard
R: Primus, S Burgoyne, Francou
I: Westhoff, D Motlop, James, Dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Back