Who had best historic All Time 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a bit hard to really do unless you are an Eagles, Crows or Bears supporter given they are only clubs a fan may have seen all the players to pick from.

As a Carlton fan I would find it incredibly hard to convince myself I got the best 22 in history given my club been around over a century even before any of us born.

If I am trying to pick forward pocket how do I know Mickey Crisp, Ansell Clarke, Jack Wrout, Vin Gardiner, Ken Baxter or Paul Schmidt were not better than Syd Jackson. Matthew Lappin, Kenny Sheldon or Eddie Betts for all time team? Near impossible and even if I do name our best, without really knowing myself, most readers would not even have heard of them so dismiss in their mind straight away. Just the reality of it.

Similarly for back pocket how could I pick one from Bruce Comden, Jim Park, John James, Bob Chitty, Laurie Kerr or Wayne Harmes? Near impossible task?

How would Stawell Gift winner Norman Clark or Bert Deacon go at half back compared to Ken Hunter, Bruce Doull, Robert Klomp, Peter Dean, Andrew McKay, Kade Simpson or Sam Docherty ? None of us could really know for sure.

Was George Coulthard an amazing player like a Jezza? None of us can really know.

Too hard to be honest but fun to see what others come of with and comedy of seeing guys like Ang Christou named.
Bob chitty,,arguably the toughest ever to play afl/vfl

Ps. How about a Port side. Here is my crack at one.

B: Wilson, Wakelin, Wanganeen
HB. N Stevens, C Cornes, Cassisi
C: K Cornes, Carr, Boak
HF: Gray, Tredrea, P Burgoyne
F: Lade, Schultz, Wingard
R: Primus, S Burgoyne, Francou
I: Westhoff, D Motlop, James, Dew
Come on, you have to include their SANFL days. They were a club a long time before 1997.

Come on, you have to include their SANFL days. They were a club a long time before 1997.
Go for it if you must include Ebert, Evans, Light, etc.

Mine was clearly an AFL team...

Billy gunn - laurie nash - r okeefe
G,healy - bob pratt ------b williams,
Nash and pratt in the same fwd line make it the most exciting , glamorous, tough and spectacular forward line in history, throw in billy gunn, ryan okeefe, gerard healy and billy williams , thats arguably the best fwd line in history

Last edited:
So every other club can't have players before 1990 then.
Where did I say that?

I have picked an Adelaide & Port AFL team.

Feel free to use SANFL players if you must.

FB: Gavin Wanganeen - Dustin Fletcher - Neale Daniher
HB: Mark Thompson - Tom Fitzmaurice - Mark Harvey
MF: Tim Watson - Jack Clarke - Michael Long
HF: Leon Baker - Matthew Lloyd - James Hird
FF: Keith Forbes - John Coleman - Paul Salmon
OB: Simon Madden - Dick Reynolds (c) - Bill Hutchison
IC: Barry Davis - Mark Mercuri - Garry Foulds - Terry Daniher

Really tough to omit the like of Hugh Mitchell, Geoff Leek, Jack Jones, Graham Moss, Jobe Watson and Scott Lucas.

My knowledge doesn’t go back far enough to do a side, but Lucas is one of those guys who I’d love to get in but probably couldn’t/wouldn’t.
Feel as though his career was underrated outside of Bomber faithful owing to Lloyd and Hird.

My knowledge doesn’t go back far enough to do a side, but Lucas is one of those guys who I’d love to get in but probably couldn’t/wouldn’t.
Feel as though his career was underrated outside of Bomber faithful owing to Lloyd and Hird.

i always thought of Lucas as the Scotty Pippen to Jordan.

And....

IMO....Lucas was a gun in any era , but had too many deficiencies to ever be that best-team player.

He'd probably be in the second side, but you can't get him in ahead of Lloyd, Coleman or Salmon IMO.
Pick one player from each of the current 16 clubs , plus fitzroy plus south Melbourne
That makes 18, then 4 interchange from any team that would be an interesting team.
The 16 clubs current or past player , one from each
Christ that would be hard, mostly because other than blokes like Whitten you couldn't find too many defenders who you'd say "Yes, he's definitely the best choice for them".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd probably be in the second side, but you can't get him in ahead of Lloyd, Coleman or Salmon IMO.

Christ that would be hard, mostly because other than blokes like Whitten you couldn't find too many defenders who you'd say "Yes, he's definitely the best choice for them".
A good challenge, ,

Is he the Geelong reject Tim Evans ?
1019 goals in 232 games would suggest Cats got it wrong like Hawks getting rid of Ablett Senior. Clubs don't get it right all the time.

Ill give it a go later on

I'll have a crack... apologies for any deserving players missed/forgotten (I'm sure many of you chaps around here will be quick to remind me)
note: liberally stolen from Hawthorn's team of the century with adjustments.

FB: Peter Knights - Kelvin Moore - Gary Ayres
HB: Shaun Burgoyne - Chris Mew - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - Sam Mitchell - Shane Crawford
HF: Dermott Brereton - Lance Franklin - John Platten
FF: Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Cyril Rioli
R: Don Scott - Michael Tuck (C) - Leigh Matthews
INT: Grant Birchall - Chris Langford - Graham Arthur - Jarryd Roughead

Thats probably the scariest forward line ever assembled.....
few surprise inclusions... few stiff....

Lake to full back and Jarman into the forward line in front of Platten.

My best 20, 1 from each club including fitzroy and south Melbourne
Adelaide - mcleod
Brisbane - voss
Carlton - jezalinko
Collingwood - p daicos
Essendon - s madden
Fitzroy - h bunton
Fremantle - fyfe
Geelong - enright
Suns - g ablett
Gws - j kelly
Hawks- l matthews
Kangaroos - g archer
Melbourne - r flower
Power- r gray,
Richmond - a rance
Saints- t lockett,
South Melbourne - l nash
Swans - a goodes
Eagles - c judd
Dogs - ej whitten
Thats 20 players, to round out the team the 2016 and 2017 best and fairest go in
D martin and p dangerfield ,
From the back line
Backs - c, enright,----' a rance ----- g archer
Hbacks - a mcleod -- ej whitten ---- j kelly
Centers r flower --- h bunton --- c judd
Hfwds a jezalinko --' l nash ---- p daicos
Ffwds l matthews - t lockett- g ablett
Rucks - s madden --- n fyfe -- m voss
Inter- --- p Dangerfield --a goodes- d Martin , r gray

Last edited:
B: Corey Enright - Matthew Scarlett - Bernie Smith
HB: Andrew Mackie - Reg Hickey - Dick Grigg
C: Alistair Lord - Gary Ablett Jr - Garry Hocking
HF: Peter Riccardi - Bill Brownless - Gary Ablett Sr
F: Paul Chapman - Doug Wade - Steve Johnson
R: Graham Farmer - Bill Goggin - Joel Selwood
I/C: John Newman - Ian Nankervis - Bob Davis - Fred Flanagan

Jnr to replace Riccardi on the flank and Diesel Williams into the guts.

Jnr to replace Riccardi on the flank and Diesel Williams into the guts.
Was wary not to include Diesel purely as he only made a fleeting impact and was made as a player at Sydney and Carlton.
Otherwise we might start considering Dangerfield soon.

Or does this not matter at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back