Opinion Who has attended a match this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
Well I've been to hundreds of football matches over the last 50 years, but never one like Collingwood Sydney the other night.
It might be partly due to some personal tragedies this year, but there was a very strange feeling at the ground, a very eerie vibe, totally different to any other time, including practice matches in the past.
Main things i noticed:
- how quiet it was. With no idiot screaming at you or deafening music during breaks it was certainly more relaxing than usual.
- even though there was several thousand people there, you could still clearly hear the players yelling at each other, even from the opposite side of the field.
- the standard of play was amazingly poor.
- nobody complained about the long delays after a goal, it actually seems more annoying when you're watching on tv.
- just a really subdued crowd, I've seen much more excitement at practice games and NAB cup matches.
Interested to know how it's been at other grounds and games.
Thanks .

I've been to seven (4 GWS, 3 Swans). Never once been concerned re distancing issues. Both Sydney stadiums did a good job
at spacing people out and the atmosphere at the last few that had four or five thousand people was OK. Hopefully there will
be more Sydney games as the new case numbers here are still quite low.

My nearest grounds are Cazaly and Riverway, and there haven't been any games there in 2020 yet. Gil & Annastacia recently made a 3-game Cairns hub deal for later in the season, so that's my opportunity, although likely to be Vic minnows with a sprinkling of interstate battler (something too marginal for marquee). I can already envision the Crows snatching some points up there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derby and vs Cats.

Cats was Saturday night and night games are always a bit more loud. Also thought it was a bit more of a younger / middle aged crowd. Covid keeping the grandparents away. One of the games of the year, comeback win in a finals like intensity game - the 26k crowd seemed as loud as any game I've been to.

Derby wasn't as good, fairly one sided game with only about 2k eagles fans in attendance. Sunday afternoon also.

Been to 3 (Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton) & planning on going to 3 more (Hawthorn, Sydney derby, GWS).
Absolutely no issues for me as I've found people generally do the right thing & keep their distance.

The crowd noise at the Cats game was very much like a finals game, and Carlton had a LOT of fans yesterday.
Love being back at the footy! :hearteyes:

If by some miracle the AFL & WA state govt can agree on finals in WA I'll try to get to at least 1 every week.
Finals with the best stadium, biggest crowds, footy weather & best for TV seems a no-brainer to me....but then politics gets in the way.

ive been to :

gold coast v adelaide
west coast v sydney
brisbane v port
carlton v bulldogs
essendon v bulldogs
richmond v north melbourne
gold coast v bulldogs
melbourne v brisbane
bulldogs v richmond
essendon v brisbane
gold coast v GWS
richmond v brisbane
gold coast v st kilda

Have been to two games so far (Blues vs Hawks and Blues vs WCE) and will be going to Blues vs Freo on Sat.
Enjoying Optus stadium being more than half empty, there is plenty of room, easy to get drinks/food etc.

Otherwise everything else has been as normal (including a massive amount of blokes not washing their hands after going to the toilet :sweatsmile:).

ive been to :

gold coast v adelaide
west coast v sydney
brisbane v port
carlton v bulldogs
essendon v bulldogs
gold coast v bulldogs
melbourne v brisbane
bulldogs v richmond
essendon v brisbane
gold coast v GWS
richmond v brisbane
gold coast v st kilda

I've really enjoyed being able to go to the footy every week (some weeks twice) but that is awesome.:thumbsu: Very jealous.

ive been to :

gold coast v adelaide
west coast v sydney
brisbane v port
carlton v bulldogs
essendon v bulldogs
gold coast v bulldogs
melbourne v brisbane
bulldogs v richmond
essendon v brisbane
gold coast v GWS
richmond v brisbane
gold coast v st kilda
Same except for wc v Syd, Carl v wb, and Ess v wb. It’s bloody weird having the most games you’ve ever attended in a year be when there’s a global pandemic, but here we are. I’m loving it.

I've gotten to a total of one match - which is pretty similar to any year up in Brisneyland. Lions are getting better so the entertaining melts in the Gabba members area just aren't there these last couple of years so I lost interest.

It was cool - not squashed in, every other row empty so you can go back and forth to the bar and stuff around in the stands making uneducated comments knowing nobody is cringing at your lack of footy nouse. ;)

Three games for me.

Freo vs West Coast
Freo vs Pies
Freo vs Hawks

Obviously smaller crowds and going to the footy on a Monday night is a bit weird. It's also seems to be more subdued pre-game. Less people around, no banners or fireworks etc... but once the game gets going it's pretty much the same.

In order:
Lions v Crows
Lions v Port
Cats v Lions (SCG)
Pies v Hawks (Giants Stadium)
Dons v Dogs (Carrara)
Suns v Dogs
Roos v Blues (Gabba)
Dees v Lions (Carrara)
Dogs v Tigers (Carrara)
Dons v Lions (Carrara)
Saints v Swans (Gabba)
Tigers v Lions (Carrara)
Cats v Roos (Gabba)
Pies v Swans (Gabba)
Dons v Giants (Carrara)
Lions v Dogs
Saints v Cats (Gabba)
Suns v Dons
Cats v Port (Carrara)
Roos v Lions (Carrara)
Dogs v Crows (Carrara)
Tigers v Suns (Gabba)
Dogs v Dees (Carrara)
Lions v Saints
Pies v Roos (Gabba)
Tigers v Eagles (Carrara)
Dogs v Cats (Carrara)
Blues v Pies (Gabba)
Tigers v Dockers (Carrara)
Giants v Blues (Carrara)
Lions v Pies
Roos v Port (Carrara)
Saints v Hawks (Carrara)
Dogs v Eagles (Carrara)
Lions v Suns
Saints v Eagles (Carrara)
Swans v Lions (Cairns)
Pies v Suns (Gabba)
Roos v Eagles (Carrara)
Saints v Giants (Gabba)
Dons v Dees (Carrara)
Lions v Blues
Swans v Cats (Carrara)

Lions v Tigers QF
Saints v Dogs EF (Gabba)
Tigers v Saints SF (Carrara)
Cats v Pies SF (Gabba)
Lions v Cats PF

Lions home games this year have reminded me of 2016, except for the fact we aren't s**t anymore.

Last edited:
because of the campaigner Daniel Andrews no

And thanks to Daniel Andrews the scoreboard currently reads:

Total Number of Spectators in Victoria in the 2020 Premiership Season: ZERO.
Members of the Andrews Government who have been held accountable: ZERO.

I've been to 4:
Collingwood vs Geelong
Freo vs West Coast
Freo vs Geelong
Freo vs Collingwood

All had different levels of atmosphere - the Freo Geelong game took me back to some Freo games in 2001 at Subiaco, pouring down with rain, < 20k people, Freo getting smashed.

Freo vs West Coast and Freo vs Collingwood were almost normal, the Freo Geelong was played in a deluge, and there were only 7 goals kicked, so it was pretty dead atmosphere wise.

Went to Port Dogs. Had great seats. Was a terrible boring s**t match but had a fair few beers with my mates which was fun. Sitting one seat apart though was annoying and probably unnecessary, we ended up sitting in rows behind each other so we could still hear each other talk. I mean we were sitting next to each other at the pub 20 mins before we get to the ground but then we get there and we have to be separate lol.

Beer, food and toilet lines were small which was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back