Who has been the best key forward since Carey?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buddy has overtaken Carey.
Hell hes played more games, kicked more goals, played in more Grand Finals, been an All Australian on one more occaision and is athletically superior.
Played more games doesn't make him better - Brent Harvey isn't the GOAT.

Carey played CHB and midfield was well - goal tallies is not the deciding factor - Barry Hall & Sav Rocca kicked more than Carey.

Who is Lance Franklin competing with for AA - Carey competed with Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Modra, Kernahan, Lloyd for spots. Lance has no where near the competition. Robert Harvey and Mark Ricciuto also have more - are they also better?

Carey was a better mark and kick - and he played in an era where the backs could chop the arms and man handle forwards.

Buddy is a superstar but I still have Ablett, Carey & Lockett in front of him.

I think Buddy has overtaken Carey.
Hell hes played more games, kicked more goals, played in more Grand Finals, been an All Australian on one more occaision and is athletically superior.

I'd agree

Carey best was definitely better but he was a walking wreck towards the end of his career. Franklin's longevity puts him way ahead of Carey.

Played more games doesn't make him better - Brent Harvey isn't the GOAT.

Carey played CHB and midfield was well - goal tallies is not the deciding factor - Barry Hall & Sav Rocca kicked more than Carey.

Who is Lance Franklin competing with for AA - Carey competed with Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Modra, Kernahan, Lloyd for spots. Lance has no where near the competition. Robert Harvey and Mark Ricciuto also have more - are they also better?

Carey was a better mark and kick - and he played in an era where the backs could chop the arms and man handle forwards.

Buddy is a superstar but I still have Ablett, Carey & Lockett in front of him.

never stated this was a`deal breaker`just a stat that you can throw into the argument as for why I think buddy is better.
Anyway each to their own.

I think buddy is a more dynamic fast paced player also, who has decided as many games as Carey did off his own boot.

Last edited:
never stated this was a`deal breaker`just a stat that you can throw into the argument as for why I think buddy is better.
Anyway each to their own.

I think buddy is a more dynamic fast paced player also, who has decided as many games as Carey did off his own boot.
I don't see extra games improving how good a player is.

Carey also has 4 B&F's to Franklin's 1.

Carey hasn’t been surpassed as a key forward since his career concluded.

He’s on a different plane.

Lance Franklin is a fascinating player in as much as he also floats about than simply being a key forward.

Carey hasn’t been surpassed as a key forward since his career concluded.

He’s on a different plane.

Lance Franklin is a fascinating player in as much as he also floats about than simply being a key forward.

Yep....He's a classic half-forward flanker/utility, who occasionally rests in the goal-square.

No where near Carey's ability in the air.....But probably has superior agility, speed & athleticism.

He was a key forward in 2008, but ever since he busted his thumb, his ability to lead & mark with confidence has withered immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin. Daylight.

I agree with those thinking Franklin has passed Carey. He has. If he played in the same era we may very well be looking at the number goal kicker in the history of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back