Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

Who has been the most valuable player in 2018?

• Dayne Beams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Cripps

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lance Franklin

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Max Gawn

Votes: 52 23.6%
  • Brodie Grundy

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Shaun Higgins

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Dustin Martin

• Tom Mitchell

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Clayton Oliver

• Alex Rance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Lachie Whitfield

• Elliot Yeo

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other – and yes I want to kiss your nut-sack

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Forget all the abstract criteria of "who is #1" based on the past 2 years or 5 years or 10 years. Or the hypothetical bullshit about "potential".

If you go through the competition and take everyone's contributions to their team in 2018, quantify those contributions and then stack them up, who has the biggest pile?

For the poll options, I looked at the Brownlow odds and the Brownlow predictor then the coaches' votes, then ditched some aberrations and added some KPPs because they are ridiculously under-represented. If you don't like the options, you can vote Other.

Last edited:

bigdog43

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It's probably Gawn or Grundy but I feel genuinely sick thinking about what would've happened to us this year without Cripps. Cripps and SPS are the only two players who have played every game but without Cripps we don't win a game.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jack Riewoldt.
The gap between him and the Tigers second best tall forward is huge. He structurally one of the most important players in the league based on his role in his team.

This is a fair call. If Richmond went into a grand final without Dusty I think they'd be able to cope without him, if they went in without Jack there's no adequate replacement and it would bring the opponent right into it.

I'm gonna go Cripps because I can't even imagine how much worse off Carlton would have been this year without him
Well to be fair you could only be 2 games worse off

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The ones that stick out are Riewoldt, Gawn, Grundy and Hawkins to me. If you take any of that quartet out of their teams, they slip a long way from their best football.

We would hardly win a game without Tom I reckon. Doesn't make him the best player in the comp or anything, just the most structurally significant to his side. Same with the other three. I voted for Gruny fwiw

It's probably Gawn or Grundy but I feel genuinely sick thinking about what would've happened to us this year without Cripps. Cripps and SPS are the only two players who have played every game but without Cripps we don't win a game.
Without Cripps you’d probably win the spoon

Back