Who has been to Bali?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2006
nowhere
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it overrated?

It seems that the most attractive thing about the place is that it's cheap to get to and get by once you're there.

Other than that what are its advantages as a holiday destination?

From what i've seen it appears quite dirty and not very picturesque.

I always thought that parts of Bali would resemble Thailand's famous Phi Phi islands but it seems i'm sorely mistaken.

Could those that have been to Bali chime in with their experiences and thoughts on my impression of the place?

I have been to Bali on four separate occasions. But unfortunately for you the last time was when I was 13 so I don't think I can give any really meaningful advice :p

There's some stuff outside the tourist coastal bit I'm sure. We want white water rafting on a river (although given I was 11 the first time we did that I'd have to wonder how 'wild' it really was). We also visited the main city of Denpasar but I must admit being a youngster I found the child begging to be a bit confronting.

There's also an inactive volcano you can visit.

I do agree though that the general theme of tourism there seems to be to involve lazing about at the hotel swimming pool/beach during the day, eating out for EVERY meal (due to favourable exchange rate) and getting pissed with fellow tourists at night and partying hard if you are of the younger age.

I suggest Wikitravel knows more than me http://wikitravel.org/en/Bali :p

Whitewater rafting is ok.

You goto Bali to get absolutely ratshit every night with your mates, or sit by the pool and do SFA.

exactly.. i went in march, it was my third time. place is still too *ing dirty and it seemed awfully quite as well. last time ill ever go to bali.

phuket > bali

Been to Bali every year for 8 years. Is my favourite place in the world. My parents built a villa there, I reccomend you grab 9 mates and head over www.thejewelbali.com (theres the plug out of the way)

Bali was very dirty in the 80's and 90's, open sewrege, massive piles of rubbish and really bad roads. This has all been rectified, and while it isnt like walking down the streets of Melbourne or Sydney it is good enough (remember it is a third world country)

The nightlife there is amazing, and it ranges soooo much. You could go to the Bounty at happy hour and get 2 beers for $1.40. Or you could go to Ku De Ta and pay $50 for a Flaming Angel (3 cocktail glasses full of spirits, set on fire, pretty cool)

Kuta Beach is very nice, all those statistics on Bondi Bali are from dud Javanese that have never swum before, it is a pretty tame beach. Jimbaran Bay is cool the first time you go have dinner on the beach there. You roll up, you choose from like 30 different restuarants, pick out your meal (good chance it will still be swimming) if not, would be caught that morning, then you sit on tables and chairs on the beach by candlelight while groups of smiling blokes walk around and perform Brown Eyed girl (pretty much all they know haha) or Hotel California on guitar and singing.

As everyone would know there is great shopping, pirated DVDs, fake watches, sunglasses, t-shirts, souvineers. But there is more than small street stores and markets. There is up class department stores that stock all 100% real high end fashion. You can get very cheap real clothes at Surf store outlets, T-shirts for about $10. Boardies $10. Alternitively you can get the rip off ones on the street for anywhere between $2-$8 depending on the quality and your bargaining skills.

As far as touristy stuff goes -

Whitewater rafting - There are a few different ones that vary in difficulty, if you go during wet season it is alot more wild!

Monkey Forest - In Ubud, it is crawling with monkeys, you buy some bannanas to feed them, its pretty cool especially uf you are with young children

Kintimani bike ride - This is a reletivly unknown activity. Basicaly you get driven up this massive volcano and stop up near the top. You then hop on mountain bikes (brand new, good condition) and you ride down the mountain through all the little villages. You ride accross the rice paddies on narrow tracks and the best part is, its 95% down hill.

Waterbomb Park - Balinese version of Wet n' Wild, $20 to get in, all rides are free after that. Very well run and very safe.

Bali Paint Ball - Probably the best thing I've done in Bali, very cheap compared to here. Run by Australians and it really is a world class facility. Brand new changerooms and shower blocks. The paintball grounds are lush grass and trees and shrubs with war planes and barrels and huts and stuff, really cool.

Wow this has turned into a long post. I spose that I'm pretty passionate about the place lol, but its hard not to when the people are so friendly, the weather so good and the shopping so cheap! Here is a link to the photos from my last trip, I took a mate with me and my family and was the best trip I have had.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=54270&id=778122783

To be honest I have never had a crack at the locals. But I'm sure they would be throwing themselves at a "big, strong, white rich man"

Alot of Prostitutes at the clubs if that is your fancy and plenty of "wristy" parlours if your into that.

I tend to go more towards the tourists, they are there to party and meet forigners just like you are, plus European girls are hot :D

To be honest I have never had a crack at the locals. But I'm sure they would be throwing themselves at a "big, strong, white rich man"

Alot of Prostitutes at the clubs if that is your fancy and plenty of "wristy" parlours if your into that.

I tend to go more towards the tourists, they are there to party and meet forigners just like you are, plus European girls are hot :D

problem is fk all euro girls go - its just aussie girls

was total opposite in phuket though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep 3 times for work, yep overated.

Got nothing on Phuket anymore for the same thing. Better places to surf and bodyboard in Indo than Bali and for the party island Phuket, Ko Samui(area) and Phi Phi absolutely kill it.

exactly.. i went in march, it was my third time. place is still too *ing dirty and it seemed awfully quite as well. last time ill ever go to bali.

phuket > bali

Likewise.

I went last week, saw the gf from my hotel bed and the hotel pool, as i was sick as a dog from the unhygenic food they have over there!

Bali really is a dive these days.

Agree whote water rafting is a highlight though.

Name dropping one Peter Matera was there as well....so it still attracts the odd footballer or two. Not like it used to be though....a bit of a dive really.

It is fine to bring the DVD's back as long as you dont have heaps of the same movie. Say if you had like 6 of each then they would get arky becuase they think you might be setting up a shop when in reality you probably just have needy friends who give you long lists of s**t to bring back.

Don't bring back BB Guns. My parents brought back 4 for us a few years ago and they got their rights read to them and stuff, had to go into interview rooms and stuff.

There is ways to get BB guns in. Did on my 1st trip. If you buy wood and s**t, declare all that s**t and bring it in one bag, pretend you rode elephants, have your thongs on that you 'wore' on the elephant. Be nice to the customs dude, show them the wood. Keep the guns in another bag and I am sure you would get through. Would work with just about anything.

BB Guns are nigh impossible to bring back now...my mate got a few back prior to Sept 11 and Oct 12. But they're real strict now. They wouldn't let me take a small inflatable ball onto the plane lol. Probably would have exploded and everyone would have gone crazy.

They don't even check your DVD's, so you can probably bring a few back of some. Hell I dont know how they can tell what the DVD's are. They're all gonna look the same through the X-Ray.

It was the first time I'd been overseas, I was completley shitting myself. Next to welcome to Bali its got this massive sign saying 'DRUG SMUGGLERS GET DEATH SENTENCE'. It's like...GULP. Even though theres next to no chance of someone having stuck drugs in your suitcase, still makes you nervous as s**t.

And be careful of the guys that grab your suitcases, we had no small change and had to give em 100,000Rp lol. For carrying our suitcases like 100 metres.

Likewise.

I went last week, saw the gf from my hotel bed and the hotel pool, as i was sick as a dog from the unhygenic food they have over there!

Bali really is a dive these days.

Agree whote water rafting is a highlight though.

Name dropping one Peter Matera was there as well....so it still attracts the odd footballer or two. Not like it used to be though....a bit of a dive really.
When i went over 2 weeks ago their were a few footballers and other sportsman such as Cameron Ling, Some Bulldogs players my mate reckons he saw and a rugby team that looked samoan or something.

Looking to go voer for Schoolies but don't know where to stay. There's too many places to chose from but i cant find many that can sleep 6.

Are the hotels cheaper over there? Are there peak periods for Schoolies etc? Probably not as if they've ever heard of it anyway.

Has any one been there for end of season trip or alike?

Just get 2 rooms. The high period starts on Oct 1 and goes to Nov 30, before peak start Dec 1 IIRC. Not sure when school finishes for you but most likely it will be end of nov start of dec.

Trying to save up for next year for schoolies. Start 22nd Nov, hopefully do Phuket, Full Moon Party, KL and Bali (well Indo) for around a month. Take our boards and do abit of booging before my apprenticeship goes full time.

Haven't been to Bali for a couple of years and I was only young so not sure how much for rooms etc. But where I checked out in Patong I can get for about 1000baht a night which was about 35 bucks but now around 40 and would probally have 2 or 3 per room. So looking at about 15-30 bucks a night for a room. I would imagine Bali and Phuket(well Patong, dirt cheap if you stay at Karon or Kata >$10) to have similar prices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back