Who has benefited most under Longmuir so far, and who hasn't?

Remove this Banner Ad

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Which of our players do you think have gotten better under J-Lo and which do you think haven't improved or have gone backwards?

Thrived
- Taberner
- Serong
- Brayshaw
- Cerra
- Aish

Gone backwards
- Matera
- Wilson (until this week)

Which of our players do you think have gotten better under J-Lo and which do you think haven't improved or have gone backwards?

Thrived
- Taberner
- Serong
- Brayshaw
- Cerra
- Aish

Gone backwards
- Matera
- Wilson (until this week)
I would add Ryan to thrive. Would be close to AA selection as it stands.

Matera had a big sook after Ross was shown the door and hasn’t really recovered since

Walters isn't at the stratospheric levels of 2018/19. Maybe missing his BFF Billy?

I reckon Wilson will thrive. He wasn't the same player when he arrived from GWS (I reckon that was Ross making him more defensive minded) and I think injury has held him back last year and the first part of this season. I think he'll be given more licence and encouraged to provide some run off half back.

The biggest winners are the kids. They're getting a game in their preferred position rather than being shunned to a HFF/HBF role to learn their craft before getting meaningful minutes on the ball.

I reckon Wilson will thrive. He wasn't the same player when he arrived from GWS (I reckon that was Ross making him more defensive minded) and I think injury has held him back last year and the first part of this season. I think he'll be given more licence and encouraged to provide some run off half back.

The biggest winners are the kids. They're getting a game in their preferred position rather than being shunned to a HFF/HBF role to learn their craft before getting meaningful minutes on the ball.
I agree completely. If Wilson gets back to his GWS best it will be huge for the team and that was the first time he's looked like it.

I agree completely. If Wilson gets back to his GWS best it will be huge for the team and that was the first time he's looked like it.

Wilson showed some ticker on the weekend.
Actually put his body on the line...he's been running around scared of his own shadow all year

JLo is exactly what the Freo Docter provides, a welcome relief. Place was getting stale under Ross and when
The maniac pressure was gone, he just couldn't do modern footy.
If Justin can fix the S&C then everyone will benefit, we will see the expected rise sooner rather than later.
I think Fyfe playing forward will improve the team and prolong his career.
We have some fantastic players under 25, and reality is that we haven't finished debuting more.
We are going to take the competition by storm, by striving to be the best team in the AFL.
That only happens with AA consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think injury has held him back last year
yeah I reckon there was something nagging him injury wise (toe I think?) last season, he had a handful of decent games for the year (Brisbane and Collingwood), but his worst was awful (Bulldogs game I think it was he could barely run)

Lots of natural progression that debatably would’ve been happening under Ross Lyon anyway. The likelihood of a lot of players playing the roles they are would’ve been less but I feel Taberner (only had to stay fit), Ryan, Brayshaw and Cerra were always going to improve.

Blakely and Matera getting far less games so they would be the obvious candidates for the other end of the scale.

Last edited:
Lots of natural progression that debatably would’ve been happening under Ross Lyon anyway. The likelihood of a lot of players playing the roles they are would’ve been less but I feel Taberner (only had to stay fit), Ryan, Brayshaw and Cerra were always going to improve.

Blakely and Matera getting fat less games so they would be the obvious candidates for the other end of the scale.

Putting on weight cause they havnt been playing? What about training n stuff? :drunk:

Blakely and Matera getting far less games so they would be the obvious candidates for the other end of the scale.

Heheh sorry mate, i'm not one of those spelling Nazi's but it was honestly the first thing i read and thought you were saying..:)

yeah I reckon there was something nagging him injury wise (toe I think?) last season, he had a handful of decent games for the year (Brisbane and Collingwood), but his worst was awful (Bulldogs game I think it was he could barely run)
It was his back.

Too early to tell for da yoof. The older kids are benefiting from being older... 18 year olds come into the game as total weeds, have never had that level of exercise, mindfulness of nutrition and body, game preparation etc. As it's Brayshaw and Cerras 3 year, they should be showing a lot more than the last 2 years.

Ross wouldn't have given Serong that much midfield time. But that doesn't mean that developing some defensive skills would have been a waste of time - would have been an obvious waste of game day results this year, but arguably would have made him an even better player in the long run. Pav would always been a good forward, maybe he became such an outstanding forward because he played in defence and then midfield for a few years.

Certainly, Tabs is getting a good go at it. But if Hogans eligibility wasn't in question through the year, Longmuir would no doubt have favoured him, Lobb as ruck/forward - and then considering to use Tabs for a 3rd tall or not.

Probably, it's Duman benefiting the most - but similar to Tabs, that's about availability, but for tall defenders instead. If/when we get tall defenders back, does duman go to the wing, he's too light framed could be taller to continue in the role he's had this year.

Taberner benefiting from Hogan not playing, as much as he is from JLo. Forced to play deep whilst Lobb takes his traditional role of roaming the wings and HF. He could’ve been the third tall with Hogan the star forward. Who knows.
Hogan coming back opens up headaches for the defenders. But quite like JLo tactic of chucking Fyfe forward to open up Tabs on the second defender.

Taberner benefiting from Hogan not playing, as much as he is from JLo. Forced to play deep whilst Lobb takes his traditional role of roaming the wings and HF. He could’ve been the third tall with Hogan the star forward. Who knows.
Hogan coming back opens up headaches for the defenders. But quite like JLo tactic of chucking Fyfe forward to open up Tabs on the second defender.

If all of Tabs, Hogan and Lobb were up forward, Fyfe would have stayed in the midfield. In turn, that might have prevented Serong getting much of a chance this year in the midfield...

For me, it's a case of waiting and seeing what JLo does long term with his players, as opposed to how does he shuffle the deckchairs to field a team when so many b22 players are out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back