Who has better moves, the Swans or the Swanettes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke, The Mase, has asked me to run my microscope over the Swans list, so here it is, in one dimensional colour.
I'm looking at your list from the outside, I'm a Port supporter, so if you disagree with me, tough, lol, just kidding, but if you want some discussion, be specific with your complaints, tell me who I am wrong about, if that is at all possible, lol.

I try my best to be fair and unbiased, lets have a look

Luke Ablett :- Yet to see him play
Jason Ball :- Surprised with good 2001, needed for ruck in 2002
Leo Barry :- Made good move to backlines until injured
Jude Bolton :- Good tough nut with skills in midfield
Leigh Brockman :- make or break season, 24 in July, Dud
Amon Buchanan :- Looked great the one time I saw him
Daryn Cresswell :- Wear & tear is showing, still valuable
Jared Crouch :- Lots of heart, does the tough jobs for team
Nick Daffy :- Hack
Stephen Doyle :- My tip for Swans success story in 2002
Andrew Dunkley :- Not many good games left in these legs
Ben Fixter :- Broken leg set him back, needs to come on now
Nic Fosdike :- Not reliable, not quite long term AFL standard
Adam Goodes :- Got it all, now just do it all game son
Barry Hall :- Mongrel with attitude, enjoy the rocky ride
Heath James :- Hamstrings have ruined him, now a dud, sorry
Paul Kelly :- Age and injuries will not weary him, a true GREAT
Tadhg Kennelly :- Looks likely, needs lots of weights work
Brett Kirk :- He does find the ball, so has talent
Ben Mathews :- Competent and composed, & coach likes him
Stuart Maxfield :- Still finds enormous space, somehow
Daniel McPherson :- Footy smart, thrives on hard work
Matthew Nicks :- Future Swans captain, that's my guess
Ryan O'Keefe :- Spare part type, has to do more to make it
Michael O'Loughlin :- Smooth moving Mr. Magic
Lewis Roberts-Thompson :- Yet to see him play
Jason Saddington :- Next generation footballer, has it all
Andrew Schauble :- Will miss Dunkley's help, servicable
Wayne Schwass :- It's an aging midfield aint it!
Brad Seymour :- Needs to stay on field more, injury prone?
Scott Stevens :- Yet to see him play
Jarrad Sundqvist :- Yet to see him play
Rowan Warfe :- Good player, but is also a bit injury prone
Paul Williams :- Important midfield goal getter

There are a few players who are important, but have missed lots of games with injuries, if they can stay fit and on the park, PLUS, if the aging midfield can hold it together for another season or two, PLUS, Doyle really comes on strong in ruck for you, then I can see the Swans having a good season, threatening the top echelon of clubs for higher honours.

If none of those things work out for the Swans, look for them to have a frustrating year.

They have the talent, they have some exciting players to work with, they need some of that intangible stuff that every great club needs, that is LUCK, and plenty of it.

My guess is they will end up around 5th or 6th

ps, I still reckon some of those Swanettes had damn fine moves:D

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
Can't argue with any of your points, As.

As you said, if some of the key young unknowns have injury-free seasons and develop as HOPED for, we could be right up there.

I'm a bit worried about depth in the ruck though.

My first choice ruck division is for Doyle to take over #1 ruck, with Ball and Goodes pinch-hitting throughout the game. After that, it's just bits and pieces part-time talls, like Hall, Saddington, Schauble.. and I wouldn't trust them with more than one emergency hit-out at a time. Don't know much about LRT at the moment.

Look for Sydney to recruit big in the draft.

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
Top stuff Asgardian - about right for everybody methinks

Just a couple of comments :

Jude Bolton : tough and courageous ballgetter but disposal is only average - a bit of Paul Kelly about him.

Paul Kelly - Has not been fully fit and firing since Round 16, 1998 - will end his career as a small forward.

Tadgh Kenelley - Brilliant balanced player who has a great kick and pinpoint accuracy, add muscles and stamina and the guy will be a superstar.

Daniel McPherson - also a very good kick for goal from 50 metres plus.

O'Loughlin - lovely soft hands, balance, poise, skill and pace to burn. His kicking for goal is a real worry though, he seems to just get a bit worse and spray a few more shots every season.

O'Keefe - Big season looms, but he has a solid 2001 to build on. Big strong lad, needs to take more contested marks.

In fact the team as a whole needs more marking and goalkicking power.

I think we are a great team, but like many others, sometimes it all just breaks down across half forward all the time.

On our small home ground it 's not such a problem because Hf doesn't really exist on the SCG, and Bazza Hall will be useful for us in the goal square.

But we are definitely a dead average team going foward, and across the half foward lines we really REALLY need guys like O'Loughlin, Kirk, Goodes and O'Keefe to stand tall, take some contested grabs and GIVE US A FIGHTING CHANCE.

cheers

I love watching all footy, doesn't matter who or where, I enjoy the analytical process of going through players, finding strengths and weaknesses.

Never forget though, I am Port Adelaide through and through, have been since 1964, and will be till the day they cremate me, that doesn't stop me from enjoying the class acts of other players and teams.

I'm doing the conclusions now on all clubs, I have finished all the reviews and comparisons and am now ready to commit myself to a firm prediction.

The Swans are an interesting club, they have some of the most exciting players in the competition, equally it could be said they have some of the most frustrating also. Young Doyle will, IMO, have a stellar season in ruck, and he will need to, the back up is indeed thin, as Desredandwhite said, the Swans will go tall in the draft.

If the midfield is fed by Doyle, or he can at least compete, then the hard Sydney midfield will win more than its share of contests. Unfortunately you need a good run with lady luck, as I do not see depth of any real quality. As I have said in other conclusions though, you need to take it as all things being equal.

One other factor in the Swans favour, is the best home ground advantage in the league, the SCG is small, and takes time to get used to, time in which the Swans hurt their opponents.

I'm guessing this will be Kelly's final season, if so, I hope it is a damn fine year for him, he is a champion player.

I predict the Swans will finish up season 2002 in 6th position

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
Season 2002 will be very much a "Twilight of the Gods" season for us.

It will be the last time our midfield quartet of Kelly, Schwass, Cresswell and Maxfield will be playing together. It will also most definitely be fullback Dunkleys last season too.

I think we will be competitive, like we have been previously, a finish of around 5th - 6th seems a reasonable enough prediction.

Barry Hall will be a useful forward but we must avoid a 'messiah' mentality at all costs, Barry Hall by himself won't win us any games, everyone must be much, MUCH sharper in the forward lines for us to win more games and progress.

Goal kicking in particular must improve (listening Plugger ? :rolleyes: )

OUr real challenge will emerge in the couple of seasons following 2002 I think. The veteran midfielders will no longer be with us - who will step up into their place ?

Like Asgardian says - we have some great young talent at the club just at the moment, but are theese guys good enough to fill the shoes of Kelly, Schwass, Cresswell and Maxfield ?

For the Swans that will be the $64,000 question in the years to come.

Don't forget Carlton and Hawthorn both took a battering and had to slowly and painfully rebuild their momentum in the 1990's after their veteran champions all retired at the same time.

I can see the Swans facing very much the same challenges.

It is going to be all about how the club manages this transition process.

Asgardian is right - the critical player in this process will be Doyle. If we have a good ruck, then remaining competiive with a young team sans our veteran midfielders will be just that much easier.

If we are going to struggle at centre bounces, then our task will be that much harder again.

In the meantime though - For one more time, lets enjoy the last moments of what has been a great ride courtesy of what has probably been the finest midfield ever to wear the Red and White.

To Kel, Schwatta, Cressa and Maxie - go get 'em guys, this is your last chance !

cheers

MrsNickDaffy

Rookie
Nov 7, 2001
Nick Daffy

Asgardian,
you are a loser don't tease my man when i bet u couldn't play football for c*** u are a loser and your the hack

Re: Nick Daffy

Originally posted by MrsNickDaffy
Asgardian,
I think I'm in love with you

I'm sorry dear, I'm a married man, please find a suitable replacement elsewhere, someone who could give you what the HACK can't deliver.;) :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back