Who Has Played One Season Too Many? 2016 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think North should be throwing anyone out due to age (except Firrito) but I reckon they should not have brought in Dal Santo or Waite. Both have been very good (as us Richmond supporters learnt from Waite in last year's EF) but I think you had the youngsters for these spots who have now been held back (Atley, Black, maybe others) and the drop-off that's one or two years away is going to be all the greater now.

As for players gone one year too far - Pavlich, and nothing to do with his game on the weekend.
Waite I can understand the negative reasoning, but Dal Santo ???
You're talking a 3 time All Aust A grader who was almost a freak for resilience and lack of injuries. He is the type that can play till he's 35...of all the A grade midfielders going around I struggle to think of a more obvious one to get to 35 and still valuable. He had relatively few and invariably short drops in form, plus one of the best disposals and decision makers in the game....and you think it silly for a mob to chase him when they think they might be in a window or coming into one ? Long time A graders that can make a difference (and arnt expected to be on the injury list every second week) usually don't even become available, at least for less than a fortune...if they stick their hand up to come to your club, you damn well take them and say thankyou for choosing us, even at 30 which isn't OLD at all for a mid that hasn't got a history of injuries. He was about as low risk as you get.
Where is the value in playing youngsters when an A grader frees up the other A grade midfielders...it provides an intangible benefit to your entire midfield by freeing up others by copping the tag and better opp players.
The hit rate of youngsters (even mids) is low. Turnover is high. That is where the risk truly lays...and there are no prizes for playing them other than a few nuffies on BigFooty that seem to think it is better to have a young list than a good list.

Waite on the other hand is the complete opposite...a serial NON performer, injury prone, and went thru extended periods of poor form regardless of injury.

You do not get improvement from guys like Atley by parting the sea for them. Bringing in some class and making it more difficult for slots is a proven successful policy. You make the youngsters work even harder for their slot and it becomes sink or swim.
Its something about my own club that gives me pride...the coaches do not care what your name is or how much you cost....perform or not your choice.

Don't think North should be throwing anyone out due to age (except Firrito) but I reckon they should not have brought in Dal Santo or Waite. Both have been very good (as us Richmond supporters learnt from Waite in last year's EF) but I think you had the youngsters for these spots who have now been held back (Atley, Black, maybe others) and the drop-off that's one or two years away is going to be all the greater now.

As for players gone one year too far - Pavlich, and nothing to do with his game on the weekend.
Yes and no. I had that view of Waite last year - that it was a stop gap and we had 3-4 guys lining up for that role in the VFL and would need a credible succession plan for Petrie. He's been bloody good since halfway through last year and probably the difference in the finals series. We still have the problem of the succession plan but there are plenty of guys on the list young enough to grow into the role.

Dal on the other hand, think of the context. Coming off the end of 2013 North was flaky, unable to hold a lead or stop an opposition run-on. Dal was exactly what they needed - a cool, composed guy with experience in a top 4 side. His influence on the on-field composure and maturity of the group was evident immediately and he's been a top-notch import.

I do worry a bit that we're not getting enough games into some promising kids at AFL level but you have to go for it at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy is super wirey and being a flanker has a tendency to extend a career by a couple of years. The only problem is that he had a knee reconstruction ten years ago (Thanks for that Anthony Rocca) and who knows if he could injure it again.
Jinxed him

Matthew Pavlich. Sad to see a great of the game struggling to have any impact.

He's actually been fairly good in the last two games, averaging 14.5 disposals, 5 marks and 2.5 goals per game. A full season of those numbers, and he's just as good if not better year than his 2013-2015 seasons, a period during which he averaged 14.59 disposals, 5.20 marks and 1.98 goals per game. Sure, not as great as his prime, but nobody is trying to pretend he's in his prime. 2012 was his last "great" year (145 marks, 69 goals, 15 Brownlow votes).

The only time he's really struggled this year was in Round 1, and even some of that could be put down to the smashing Fremantle got in the midfield and the lack of supply.

Last edited:
All Australian in 2014, much the same kind of form in 2015, no injury issues, you're joking right?
He is done now. Another concussion. Not good. Time to think if his health post game. The guy has achieved everything bar a flag. Legend of the AFL and St Kilda, but a head knock is serious, and he has felt a few now.

If you can't tell that is sarcasm I can't help you. I was mocking some of the earlier replies in this thread. He is 37 and getting Brownlow votes, he is a legend and obviously hasn't gone on too long.
I thought the responses were acknowledging the sarcasm?
They werent?o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back