Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay since Coaster2012 did not have time, i did have time to compile it.

Home and away season only - 2018

Melbourne against top 8
Two wins
Six losses

Melbourne 13.16 (94) def. by Geelong 14.13 (97)
Hawthorn 18.7 (115) def. Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Melbourne 8.8 (56) def. by Richmond 15.12 (102)
Melbourne 14.7 (91) def. by Collingwood 20.13 (133)
Geelong 16.4 (100) def. Melbourne 14.14 (98)
Melbourne 10.18 (78) def. by Sydney 13.9 (87)
West Coast 14.7 (91) def. by Melbourne 16.12 (108)
Melbourne 15.12 (102) def. Greater Western Sydney 8.9 (57)

Points for average: 84
Points against average: 97
But they did break their losing streak against the Kangaroos; that has to mean something, doesn’t it? Surely.

Im bored so..

Melbourne 29 (94) vs Geelong 27 (97) +2
Hawthorn 25 (115) vs Melbourne 18 (48) -7
Melbourne 16 (56) vs Richmond 27 (102) -11
Melbourne 21 (91) vs Collingwood 33 (133) -12
Geelong 20 (100) vs Melbourne 28 (98) +8
Melbourne 28 (78) vs Sydney 22 (87) +6
West Coast 21 (91) vs Melbourne 28 (108) +7
Melbourne 27 (102) vs Greater Western Sydney 17 (57) +10

total differential of +3 scoring shots, wouldnt say there is anything major to read into the number of scoring shots melb have vs what other teams in the 8 had

That's not the point, what the other team did is related to the defence and has nothing to do with the forward line.

The point is our forward line was having more than enough shots on goal to put up a winning score but shot themselves in the foot with inaccuracy.

That's not the point, what the other team did is related to the defence and has nothing to do with the forward line.

The point is our forward line was having more than enough shots on goal to put up a winning score but shot themselves in the foot with inaccuracy.

I don't really know what point your trying to make.

Defence has everything to do with it since defenders are defending forwards and great forwards can't be defended. And having enough shots at goal is related to having a good midfield delivering the ball to your forwards, the fact that they missed, is a forward line problem. So are you agreeing that Melbournes forward line isn't top 2? seems you are with what your saying: The good defenders are doing a job on your forwards and your forwards can't kick straight when pressured.

Last edited:

I don't really know what point your trying to make.

Defence has everything to do with it since defenders are defending forwards and great forwards can't be defended. And having enough shots at goal is related to having a good midfield delivering the ball to your forwards, the fact that they missed, is a forward problem. So are you agreeing that Melbournes forward line isn't top 2? seems you are with what your saying: Defenders are doing a job on your your forwards and your forwards can't kick straight.
Melbourne's forward-line isn't top 4 let alone top 2.

Weideman may change that by season's end.

He was garbage. Good player before he broke his arm but never the same afterward

LeCras was on the ground for 86% of the (premiership) match. He might be garbage but he was a part of the flag winning side and a gun over the majority of his career.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say only weakness is the 2nd tall as Stewart and Brown are both pretty average players, but Daniher/Fantasia/Tippa/Stringer is a ridiculous amount of ability.

I favour Mckernan in that role because his prowess in the ruck and can hopefully fill the role of Hooker from our very successful 2017 forward set up.

That being said I think the coaches will go with Brown who's effectiveness is underrated. He averaged 1.7 goals a game when you take out his games as a defender.

Overall I'd say our forward line is closer to Melbourne/Collingwood level than the top 3 forward lines.

I favour Mckernan in that role because his prowess in the ruck and can hopefully fill the role of Hooker from our very successful 2017 forward set up.

That being said I think the coaches will go with Brown who's effectiveness is underrated. He averaged 1.7 goals a game when you take out his games as a defender.

Overall I'd say our forward line is closer to Melbourne/Collingwood level than the top 3 forward lines.

I like McKernan too because he is genuinely capable of kicking 3-4 in a game, but he is still very inconsistent and isn't a reliable shot on goal.

Big year for Joey, he has all the talent but now he is free of the OP and turns 25 there are no more excuses. Should be at least matching his 2017 output IMO

WCE
Richmond
Adelaide
Bombers (Incredibly flakey group but on talent have to put them in)
so true on the flakiness.

Injuries to Daniher and Fantasia really havent helped.
Fully fit, combined with Stringer & tippa, thats a strong forward line

We need to settle the second tall forward and the 6th forward.

I'd like to see Stewart and Laverde settle in there. I think moving forward that's the best combo we have
Laverde Stringer Stewart
Fantasia Daniher Tippa

so true on the flakiness.

Injuries to Daniher and Fantasia really havent helped.
Fully fit, combined with Stringer & tippa, thats a strong forward line

We need to settle the second tall forward and the 6th forward.

I'd like to see Stewart and Laverde settle in there. I think moving forward that's the best combo we have
Laverde Stringer Stewart
Fantasia Daniher Tippa
I think you probably just have to let Daniher get a run of games. He's an incredible talent but I'm guessing wont dominate early on in the season. By the business end much more likely.

I think you probably just have to let Daniher get a run of games. He's an incredible talent but I'm guessing wont dominate early on in the season. By the business end much more likely.
ill take that. rather him firing late if we're to make finals.
First 5-6 weeks, happy for him to just get some touch back.

But will mean someone like Stringer needs to get dangerous.

ill take that. rather him firing late if we're to make finals.
First 5-6 weeks, happy for him to just get some touch back.

But will mean someone like Stringer needs to get dangerous.
I guess VFL is an option. At least you have that option and a reasonable standard comp. We play tall forwards in midfield coming back in the NEAFL, just to get them around the ball and the contest.

I suspect he's too good for that though, and I'd imagine he'll find his touch quicker in the AFL.

I guess VFL is an option. At least you have that option and a reasonable standard comp. We play tall forwards in midfield coming back in the NEAFL, just to get them around the ball and the contest.

I suspect he's too good for that though, and I'd imagine he'll find his touch quicker in the AFL.
Yep, he'll play AFL rather than VFL. Even if he stays at home all game early on.
So we may go more mobile with our other forwards.
Good chance for Stewart to stake a claim over Brown or McKernan.

I like McKernan too because he is genuinely capable of kicking 3-4 in a game, but he is still very inconsistent and isn't a reliable shot on goal.

Big year for Joey, he has all the talent but now he is free of the OP and turns 25 there are no more excuses. Should be at least matching his 2017 output IMO

Haven't noticed Mckernan being overly unreliable in front of goal. He is prone to making the easy look difficult though and is definitely inconsistent.

Not sure there's been many excuses for Joe who has improved every year he's played until injury.

Perplexed as to how Freo has so many votes.

Even more perplexing as to how the Hawks aren’t rated here. No team has better small/medium forwards. Gunston and Breust are arguably the best players in their position. Then there’s the addition of Wingard. Five of Hawthorn’s six forwards are All-Australians.

Ranking will depend a lot on how players recover from injuries, Daniher, Walker, Hogan, Lynch, Elliott.

This is harder to pick than best midfields.

Back