Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting one

West Coast has to be number 1 as they are proven, outside of them id say Tigers/Pies/Hawks/Dons all have strong forward lines.

Our best forward line would be:

Rioli, Riewoldt, Castagna
Butler, Lynch, Caddy

2 A grade talls, A/B+ grade medium, 3 great pressure forwards

All of Martin/Edwards/Higgins/Balta will play forward at various times also

Darling and Kennedy and jroo and lunch are evens out smalls are just as effective as yours it’s Martins, Caddy, Prestia ect ability to hit the score board that makes the difference between both sides

I know this is an oldish post but how do you figure the difference between WCE and Richmond is Martin, Caddy and Prestia kicking goals? Last time I looked, WCE are premiers.

As a duo, Kennedy and Darling have the score on the board.

I know this is an oldish post but how do you figure the difference between WCE and Richmond is Martin, Caddy and Prestia kicking goals? Last time I looked, WCE are premiers.

As a duo, Kennedy and Darling have the score on the board.
I’d agree there pretty sure it was a diplomatic rebuttal to a boneheaded Richmond supporter kicking goals from midfield is still important and Richmond have the ascension there

After it was a hot mess last year (after the loss of Riewoldt, and then with Bruce only playing 3 games, McCartin only 13, and with Membrey having the yips until R10), I'm looking forward to seeing how our group goes with a fresh start this year, as I see it as having the potential to be one of the better ones, if they click.

Especially if the weekend is an indication of how much more quickly and efficiently we'll look to move the ball forward. 6-6-6 ought to also help them, and give them many more 1-on-1's.

Last year by the time we kicked (ie bombed) it forward, the likes of McCartin were usually left 1-on-2, 3 or even 4 under the high ball (as every team knew that was how we'd kick it in there), and had little to no chance of marking it, but if Ratts (who is in charge of both our transition and forward line), has us playing in a way that actually gives them a chance, we could have a pretty potent group- that now has a lot more added bite at ground level.

Marking target options:
Bruce, Membrey, McCartin, Battle, Marshall, King

Medium sized marking option:
Acres

"Mediums and smalls":
Gresham, Billings, Newnes, Kent, Long, Lonie, Parker

It looks much improved based on trading. We Still have to see the rubber hit the road, but it's common for people to overreact to change.
Reminds me a lot of last year with people talking up the Geelong midfield as the best in the comp and already declaring it one of the best of all time and it wasn't even in the top echelon of midfields in 2018. The Dockers now have the names but can't be rated too highly until we see how it performs.

Reminds me a lot of last year with people talking up the Geelong midfield as the best in the comp and already declaring it one of the best of all time and it wasn't even in the top echelon of midfields in 2018. The Dockers now have the names but can't be rated too highly until we see how it performs.
Sounds fair to me.

Ours was a problem early last year.

Patton struggled with the second ruck/forward role. He was sent back to the NEAFL and then did an ACL at training. We might have a leaner lighter General available after the bye. I was seriously worried about his future after his third ACL but reports are very positive. One if the reasons he's lost weight iu s to reduce the pressure on his body.

Himmelburg hit a flat spot as young talls are wont to do but recovered in the second half.

Toby had a great round one but then his injury flared and we lost him for a substantial period.

Cameron actually had a great start to the season. After his return from suspension after the Andrew's incident he was down and seemed to have lost confidence in his judgement around the contest

Hence no one's really rating our forward line and I get that.

For this year though Cameron looked really good in JLT1. Toby Greene is expected to play JLT2.

Give us 20 + games from those two and we look a lot better. Himmelburg is a year older and a 4th year player now and should improve his consistency.

Brent Daniels is a really quick determined little fella whose had two great pre-season games after not doing much wrong last year.

Daniel Lloyd is a local rookie and no suoerstarbut he reminds me of Adam Kennedy a bit. Gets a bit better every year.

Zac Langdon is sadly going to miss the season start but had a good first year and was in our best 22 from his arrival. Depending on what we do in the midfield it might open a slot for Bonar.

I think if all goes well (touch wood) our forwards certainly wont be a weakness as they were in our worst period last year, and potentially a group that can do their bit to take us to the G in September.

Agree. That midfield ended up finishing last in clearances of any midfield. The combo obviously didn’t work. I think it’ll be better with Ablett playing predominantly forward and make Geelong a much more dangerous side(unfortunately).

Going to be interesting to see whether 6-6-6 increases the amount of marks and goals for the marking targets of the comp, and as such whether some teams benefit more from this than others.

Paddy McCartin was interviewed after our game on the weekend and he said he "couldn't believe" how much more time those playing in the midfield had to get the ball away from centre bounces (as a result of 6-6-6), and also said he loved it, as he had way more 1-on-1's than usual.

On the other hand, North were one of 3 teams who hardly ever set up 6-6-6 last year, which gave Ben Brown extra room to lead into, whereas on the weekend he had that extra 2-4 or so bodies in his F50 for chunks of the game, and as such he always seemed surrounded any time the ball was kicked near him, and didn't have that space that he likes to do those freight train leads into.

A team like Port, with Dixon, Ryder and Marshall/Westhoff in 1-on-1's inside 50 could really be a handful when they win centre clearances.

Last edited:
Agree. That midfield ended up finishing last in clearances of any midfield. The combo obviously didn’t work. I think it’ll be better with Ablett playing predominantly forward and make Geelong a much more dangerous side(unfortunately).
Forwards that can't tackle are a liability. If Ablett's shoulders weren't bung I'd agree with you but watching defenders waltz the ball out of there with ease will be a common occurrence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 pages of crap. Big Cox with Degoey, Elliot and Stephenson, along with a goal kicking midfeild, that there is the best for 2019. People can argue and discuss what they like, but no teams forward set up will better the pies this year.

Collingwood had the the best forward line IMO, weapons everywhere.

Elliott-Cox-Stephenson
De Goey-Miochek-Thomas
- Stephenson is quality, but only a second year player so he might face the second year blues as many players do after their first year. Outstanding debut season though.
- Elliott I rate highly.
- De Goey I rate very highly. The best out of this lot.
- Cox is great against Richmond and was OK in the Grand Final, but he reminds me a bit of Townsend in 2017. Form peaked at the end of the season, but he wasn’t all that great beforehand.
- Mihocek is a solid player.
- Thomas is also a decent small forward that has got some pretty nice tricks. I like him.

Cox for me has the biggest question marks out of the lot. His peak last year was great but it is about having consistency.
Not going to lie though, that’s a pretty good forward line. I’d personally rate it 3rd after West Coast and Richmond when it comes to generating scoring shots, but it’s a very understated forward line. It’d probably be 2nd only to West Coast if we were going to rate it for inside 50s-to-goal efficiency because Richmond is not as good at that.

Anyone mentioned what good stats are for measuring a good forward line? My indicators would be:
Inside 50 contested marks
Opposition rebound 50s
Inside 50 tackles
Pressure acts inside 50

17 pages of crap. Big Cox with Degoey, Elliot and Stephenson, along with a goal kicking midfeild, that there is the best for 2019. People can argue and discuss what they like, but no teams forward set up will better the pies this year.
Bit of premature speculation regarding big cox. Really only came once last year being the prelim. Would need to see him do more work inside the box before I’m convinced.

Back