Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did i just read Daniel Rioli>Stephenson.

Its taken Rioli his last 37 games(seasons 2/3) in a top 4 team to reach 38 goals, Stephenson did that in his debut season. What did Rioli do in his debut season? 18 games 13 goals, not bad, Sure Richmond werent a top 4 team in 2016 like Collingwood were in 2018, so how did Rioli fair in 2017 in a top four side(inb4 premiership that stephenson didnt in 18), 25 goals in 25 games, 13 less than Stephenson. Scoreboard pressure is the best pressure and Stephenson just provides more of it without being a defensive liability.

Whats next Higgo>Stephenson??

Higgos gonna have more brain cells than me if i keep reading.

Lets look at this hypothetical Willie Rioli and Stephenson trade with some logic.

Say hypothetically right now, they are completely equal in everything form/talent wise. Stephenson is still 4 years younger, wouldn’t you do the trade in hope to get 4 bonus seasons from Stephenson?

For Collingwood to want Rioli, hes going have to offer more or something(that Stephenson won’t) to make up for the 4 seasons of football we lose.

Right now im really struggling to see how Rioli’s next 7-8 years offers more than Stephensons next 11-12 years, he simply has to offer more than Stephenson to make up for the age loss.

Thats not even mentioning Stephensons very high draft positioning(which was still lowered due to the heart condition) and then flawless transition to senior football, both of which still very relevent in this point of time when discussing trades.

Lets be real, Rioli is steak knives in a deal involving Stephenson and thats just a fact. Stephenson was drafted with pick 6 and 12 months later has a rising star award and a 40 goal season behind him, his stock has only risen and an offer of his original pick 6 would now be ignored.

Whats Willie Rioli getting on the open trade market? Pick 20-25? Maybe pick 15-20 from a side like GCS/Carlton who can afford to pay overs?

Obeanie1 that was for you.

In regards to this.
Eagles wouldnt trade Rioli.

But lets assume in an alternate universe Rioli asked to go the the Pies and Stephenson asked to be traded to the Eagles.

Straight swap would be an ok break even outcome.:think::think:

To describe Rioli as steak knives is a troll.

Rioli plus a pick would be the steak knives.

A 2nd rounder.

All hypothictical bs in any case.
What draft pick is Rioli fetching on the open market? My guess no higher than 20, being generous 15 from a side paying overs.

Why would Collingwood want pick 20 and a second rounder for a bloke they drafted at 6 and went on to win the rising star.

Pick 5 and Rioli is more around the mark for stephenson.

Last edited:
Everyone of Collingwoods forwards is capable of kicking 3 or 4.

Name the sides with better forward lines

Josh Kennedy (3-10 goals depending on his mood)
Jack Darling (3-5)
Jamie Cripps (3-4)
Willie Rioli (3-4)
Liam Ryan (3-4)

Who replaces Lecras is the unknown. Oscar Allen kicked 5 goals across both JLT games against close-to-if-not-full strength teams and is certainly firming as one of the better young KPFs in the completion.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Literally one kick difference between them. You post that like WC had a magical formula to beat them. They won on the last goal of the game. The last

Everyone of Collingwoods forwards is capable of kicking 3 or 4.

Name the sides with better forward lines
We beat them 3 times for the year, twice at the MCG.

We beat them 3 times for the year, twice at the MCG.

They beat us 1 out of 3 games last year, but according to some of their fans it seems they 'destroyed' us (we beat them by a bigger margin in one of our H&A games) and now they completely have the wood over us now....

Jack Darling (3-5)
Jamie Cripps (3-4)
Willie Rioli (3-4)
Liam Ryan (3-4)

Who replaces Lecras is the unknown. Oscar Allen kicked 5 goals across both JLT games against close-to-if-not-full strength teams and is certainly firming as one of the better young KPFs in the completion.

Was really keen of Allen on last years draft hoping The tigers picked him up cause we had a few picks around the mark

We ended up taking Higgins with our first pick (17) but we had a couple picks in the low 20’s that I was hoping he would slide too before you blokes snapped him up

Richmond's 6 of: Butler, Caddy, Edwards, Lynch, Riewoldt, Rioli would be the best starting 6 for mine. But at the same time it'll be interesting to see how having the two tall's Lynch and Riewoldt affect the current dynamic and strategy.

They beat us 1 out of 3 games last year, but according to some of their fans it seems they 'destroyed' us (we beat them by a bigger margin in one of our H&A games) and now they completely have the wood over us now....
If i recall both H&A games were very similar.

The 1st game Aish, Reid and Maynard went down injured, then Richmond pounced after a close game for the first 3 quarters.

The 2nd game we had Scharenberg and Howe go down both before 3quarter time, aswell as no De Goey and Treloar going into the game. Close game for 3 quarters then Richmond got the job done when Collingwood lost numbers.

Honestly respect for Richmond taking care of the pies on both occasions when they could have let it slip, but i dont consider those games a true indicator because of the injuries.

Regarding the margin, sure Richmomd beat Collingwood buy a bigger margin of 42 points, but does that matter much when in the prelim collingwood were 53 points up just before half time? Richmond were never that dominate early, only late in the game to an injury hit Collingwood.

Collingwood did “Destroy” Richmond early in the prelim, enough to hold them off for 2 quarters, but i doubt any knowledgable Collingwood fan is going into Collingwood vs Richmond with confidence rather than nerves.

Jack Darling (3-5)
Jamie Cripps (3-4)
Willie Rioli (3-4)
Liam Ryan (3-4)

See I agree WC is better I wasn't arguing that Collingwood was the best but the other nuffie was saying it was laughable to discuss them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A quick attempt at a ranking:
  1. Richmond
  2. Hawthorn
  3. Collingwood
  4. West Coast
  5. Sydney
  6. Melbourne
  7. Port
  8. Essendon
  9. GWS
  10. Adelaide
  11. North
  12. Geelong
  13. Brisbane
  14. Carlton
  15. St Kilda
  16. Bulldogs
  17. Fremantle
  18. Gold Coast
Very difficult to assess teams in the middle there. In fact I could easily move most teams up or down a few places.
Really surprised that you have our forward line ranked so low

Really surprised that you have our forward line ranked so low
Coming off an underperforming season and peoples short memories it doesn't surprise me. There's also a strong bias to equate team with forward line.

For me it's West coast and then the Crows. The Tigers look potentially up there, but I need to see the rubber hit the road with them.

How so? Beating a team away once is hard enough (see Melbourne vs WC) but they did it twice in 1 season and also beat them at home when down a few goals at 3/4 time
Two cracking finals - one in Perth and one in Melbourne. WCE just took the chockies in both finals. Fair to say that they had our measure- but only by a whisker.

Back