Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Best game I've seen him play was the 2017 PF. Great effort for a 20yo in front of 93k screaming Tigers fans. There were a few hundred or us on his side.

Bear in mind while we've got a lot of talent to contract and Himmelburg needs a payrise, our TPP ledger is also pretty short and they mostly aren't new payments. It's not like trading in expensive players.

Perhaps, sans Patton, you solved some salary problems this post season.

Who are the GWS players you have lost that really hurt?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Perhaps, sans Patton, you solved some salary problems this post season.

Who are the GWS players you have lost that really hurt?
I hated losing Devon Smith. I get why it happened and I am pleased he's doing well. It seemed many were arguing he was a spud because of the Melbourne club rivalries, but he was always a great player. Anyone who doubts it should check out the first QTR of the 2016 QF in particular. He was born for the big stage.

Treloar is an excellent mid but Hopper and Taranto would have had their development further delayed, so I can live with it. Some negativity from our supporters because of his professing to love the club. Those who have kids playing and have met him at junior training sessions speak well of him though, and they would know.

Marchbank and Steele left after their rookie contracts and are missed.

We will miss Shiel, but again it gives an opening for a central role to Taranto, and a chance to Bonar and Shipley.

Lobb will be hard to replace and was just coming right after chronic groin problems.Matt Flynn will undoubtedly be delighted at the opening it gives him though.

Scully is unique as a runner and just irreplaceable, I dont believe there's a player in the comp who can run out a game, without breaks if necessary, as hard as he can.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Kennedy is a bull. I don't know of any structural deficiencies.... after a well catered off season..... I think you could protect him and save him for the finals.

Willie Rioli and Ryan are so dangerous. I think Rioli could become a top 20 player next year. He has the Rioli gift of both brute hardness and soft touch, and is my favorite player not playing for the Hawks.
Im vv bullish on rioli. He has the magic.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Not sure I dig Adelaide’s forward line much anymore. Betts is just about over it, plus neither Walker nor Jenkins are as consistent as years gone by. It’s their back line that I rate very highly. It’s still a nice forward line, arguably top eight quality, but those at Hawthorn, Collingwood and Melbourne are definitely better imo

I rate a lot of the talent on Port’s list but there isn’t much to rave about up forward. Only five sides (all in the bottom six) scored fewer points than them last year, and losing midfield star power means they won’t have the luxury of playing Robbie Gray up forward as much. Step-ups from Marshall and Dixon are imminent but not enough to give them one of the league’s better forward lines. If they’re in the top 8 for points for, they’ll play finals.

There isn’t a lot of sample space yet to assess but I think St Kilda’s forward line with or without McCartin, will become a fairly reliable and watchable one.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Funny that you a Richmond supporter, maybe you're in denial but WCE wouldn't even be #2 coz Kennedy isn't as good as people would readily want to believe! Didn't do much in last season's GF as I expected and when matched up against a good KPD, becomes ineffective! Name me the last time Kennedy kicked a bag on a good KPD!

Yeah, won multiple Colemans in a row and would have gotten a 3rd if it wasn't for injuries.

Yeah, just a lazy 3 goals (equal most in the match) and 11 marks (most on the ground) in the Grand Final. Hell, another goal he probably would have gotten the North Smith.

Yeah, nah, you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Yeah, won multiple Colemans in a row and would have gotten a 3rd if it wasn't for injuries.

Yeah, just a lazy 3 goals (equal most in the match) and 11 marks (most on the ground) in the Grand Final.

Yeh bizarre post. Pretty rare that someone kicks more than 3 in a Grand Final. Missed half the season through injury (contact not age related) and still had a massive impact on finals. As well as multiple Coleman's hes the leading Eagles all time goal kicker.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is only one team with 7 potential 30 plus goalkickers on their list.

Add Elliott to the six mentioned, and it's clear Collingwood have the most avenues to goal, and therefore the best forward line.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
There is only one team with 7 potential 30 plus goalkickers on their list.

Add Elliott to the six mentioned, and it's clear Collingwood have the most avenues to goal, and therefore the best forward line.

Forward lines are made up of 6 players, not 7.

WC;: Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Cripps and Waterman can all kick over 30 goals.

Unlucky.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, just a lazy 3 goals (equal most in the match) and 11 marks (most on the ground) in the Grand Final. Hell, another goal he probably would have gotten the North Smith.
Having the supply and kicking bags against weak defenses doesn't prove that you're the best forward! Another goal in the GF wouldn't have made him the most influential player on the field. The most deserving player won it in the end!

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Having the supply and kicking bags against weak defenses doesn't prove that you're the best forward! Another goal in the GF wouldn't have made him the most influential player on the field. The most deserving player won it in the end!

Is Kennedy being one of the best forwards in the last decade even debatable?

There's the problem. As good as he is, his age seems to be catching up with him, and as it does, he'll both be on the park less often, and at his best less often.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Kennedy being one of the best forwards in the last decade even debatable?
hmm there wasn't that many to choose from but out of them...
Clearly better
Jonathan Brown
Mathew Lloyd
Brendan Fevola
Matthew Pavlich
Slightly better
Nick Riewoldt
Brad Johnson
Jack Riewoldt
...I could prolly throw a few small forward/midfielders into that also but meh.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
hmm there wasn't that many to choose from but out of them...
Clearly better
Jonathan Brown
Mathew Lloyd
Brendan Fevola
Matthew Pavlich
Slightly better
Nick Riewoldt
Brad Johnson
Jack Riewoldt
...I could prolly throw a few small forward/midfielders into that also but meh.
Brown was better than Kennedy from 2009 to 2018? Lloyd? Fevola? Then you throw in Brad Johnson. Please go on, this is great.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He forgot to mention Carey, Ablett Snr and Coleman...
You prolly neglected the context for starters...
the best forwards in the last decade
Oh, and Lance Franklin anyone?
I'm reluctant to rate Franklin as a great forward coz he can be shut down and he's not a reliable kick with regards to accuracy. Lance Franklin is not strong in a marking contest and doesn't use his height to advantage.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
West Coast
Hawthorn
Richmond
Collingwood
Sydney
GWS
Essendon
Adelaide
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Brisbane
Carlton
Saints
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Gold Coast

Last edited:

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You prolly neglected the context for starters...

I'm reluctant to rate Franklin as a great forward coz he can be shut down and he's not a reliable kick with regards to accuracy. Lance Franklin is not strong in a marking contest and doesn't use his height to advantage.
Um, the forwards I (jokingly) mentioned are as relevant to the last decade as most of the forwards you mentioned.

Don't rate Franklin? Approaching 1000 goals in this era isn't a bad effort and he does have some reasonable attributes for an AFL player...

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Forward lines are made up of 6 players, not 7.

WC;: Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Cripps and Waterman can all kick over 30 goals.

Unlucky.

Dont agree.

Forward lines are made up of 7, one is on the bench and that player provides the flexibility to change the dynamics of the structure during games. You can go tall or small depending on the situation.

The Eagles for instance have Vardy and Venables to do this. They also provide quality rotations either to give others a rest or cover an injury.

Then you have quality depth to cover injuries so now we are talking about 8-9 players.

A quality tall who is both an effective forward and ruck provide a big advantage as well.

IMO all this determines who has the best forward line / group.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
There is also only 2 teams(i’m Aware of) that has 6 players that kicked over 20 or more goals last season.
These players are (H&A stats):
Hawthorn
Bruest - 54 goals
Gunston - 51 goals
Roughead - 34 goals
Smith - 26 goals
Wingard - 22 goals
Puopolo - 20 goals

Collingwood is the other team
(Stats copied from Fadge)
Goals in 2018:
De Goey 48