Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Collingwood had the the best forward line IMO, weapons everywhere.

Elliott-Cox-Stephenson
De Goey-Miochek-Thomas
Rioli > Stephenson
Ryan > Elliott
Kennedy > Cox
Cripps < De Goey
Darling > Miochek
Allen > Thomas

Wc fwd line destroys Collingwood it's only kept alive by De Goey

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen

Darling and Kennedy are one of the best forward duos in the comp. With Ryan & Rioli crumbing around the ball with Cripps also capable of kicking 40 plus goals a year, and a Vardy that rotates through. How can you even argue it? There's a reason why 90% of people say WC's forward line is better

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Darling and Kennedy are one of the best forward duos in the comp. With Ryan & Rioli crumbing around the ball with Cripps also capable of kicking 40 plus goals a year, and a Vardy that rotates through. How can you even argue it? There's a reason why 90% of people say WC's forward line is better

The Rioli > Stephenson
Ryan > Elliott
and Allen > Thomas
calls are what I was getting at

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
1551951804167.png

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit of premature speculation regarding big cox. Really only came once last year being the prelim. Would need to see him do more work inside the box before I’m convinced.
Tore the dees apart on QB ripped richmond a new one in a prelim in front of 96k, had great second half in GF. The hope he fails is for the fools and fairys, Coxy is the real deal. He already commands a triple team in the contest, is it any secret that the smaller guys benefit from this, 40 plus goals from 3, and 30 plus goals from 2 others. It doesnt matter if the public dont want to respect, go ask 17 coaches what they think. He's a weapon up forward, Hes a weapon in the ruck, once this guy reaches 50/70 games will be absolutely unstoppable.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Tore the dees apart on QB ripped richmond a new one in a prelim in front of 96k, had great second half in GF. The hope he fails is for the fools and fairys, Coxy is the real deal. He already commands a triple team in the contest, is it any secret that the smaller guys benefit from this, 40 plus goals from 3, and 30 plus goals from 2 others. It doesnt matter if the public dont want to respect, go ask 17 coaches what they think. He's a weapon up forward, Hes a weapon in the ruck, once this guy reaches 50/70 games will be absolutely unstoppable.

1551993397793.gif

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Pretty sure Barrass destroyed him 1 on 1

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Phil Davis shut him down in the SF as well. I think having someone in front blocking his run at the ball is key though. He doesn't have the skillset to deal with that, yet anyway.
Ahh. Like i said he took your best to stand in his way, did you guys have the personel or the brains to stop Degoey, while cox was playing his role for the game.

Last edited:

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure Barrass destroyed him 1 on 1
What game did you you watch in the second half. Was magnificent against a great backline. You know people other than yourself were at the game, remember it on day or have foxtel and have watched it many times. I dont care for what ever point you have tried to make. Again go ask Simpson what he thinks, it would be no where near what your small brain spits out on this forum.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen
He's right. WC has a solidly better forwardline than Collingwood.

It's how a team plays as a unit though which counts. For example a midfield with the likes of Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan performed poorly in 2018. WC may be shaky in the first couple of rounds structurally. No Kennedy, LeCras and Cripps is a lot of missing experience. It's raw talent which helps make up for it.

IMO though, Lynch, Reiwoldt, Rioli, Edwards, Caddy, Higgins is formidable. On paper and fit, that's the best lineup.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The Rioli > Stephenson
Ryan > Elliott
and Allen > Thomas
calls are what I was getting at

Ok the Allen one is a bit premature. We should wait at least 12 months.

But you cant complaign about two premiership players being ranked ahead of a skinny 19 year old and Elliott who has been out injured for 2 years.:p

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
He's right. WC has a solidly better forwardline than Collingwood.

It's how a team plays as a unit though which counts. For example a midfield with the likes of Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan performed poorly in 2018. WC may be shaky in the first couple of rounds structurally. No Kennedy, LeCras and Cripps is a lot of missing experience. It's raw talent which helps make up for it.

IMO though, Lynch, Reiwoldt, Rioli, Edwards, Caddy, Higgins is formidable. On paper and fit, that's the best lineup.

TBH with the game style Richmond has employed its actually quite difficult to compare them against other sides. The fast chaos attacking style is at times simply well......chaotic.

How do you compare a forward line with a chaos game plan to say the Eagles who possess the ball, move it up the ground by foot with patience and then kick inside 50 to kps on the lead or in a planned pack scenario or to a fast, skillful small forward?

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH with the game style Richmond has employed its actually quite difficult to compare them against other sides. The fast chaos attacking style is at times simply well......chaotic.

How do you compare a forward line with a chaos game plan to say the Eagles who possess the ball, move it up the ground by foot with patience and then kick inside 50 to kps on the lead or in a planned pack scenario or to a fast, skillful small forward?
A fully fit WC forwardline, with NN and Shuey playing in the middle will likely be the most damaging.

Darling and Kennedy together are excellent at making space for themselves and other forwards. Kennedy is arguably the most talented forward in the comp at leading to and scoring from clean centre clearances. That's a huge plus when considering the new rules, WC are unbelievably efficient at scoring from those clean centre breaks or stoppages in the F50 due to players like Shuey, Yeo, Cripps, Rioli, Ryan etc., so any rules which decongest that forwardline in those two circumstances suit the WC list and gamestyle.

However, WC by the numbers are only a midrange team when it comes to scoring from kick ins and rebounding from defensive 50, I think that's an area that suits Richmonds list. So my judgement was based largely on WC not having the ideal combination of personnel early in the season, to compliment their gamestyle (though this may not matter), Richmond being already good at rebounding footy and the chaos style goals then adding a dominant Kennedy style KPF (Lynch), that may give them a huge edge on most teams from clean centre breaks. WC are a well drilled side though, with a lot of youthful energy. In the same way a less experienced midfield in 2018 outperformed the 2017 roster, so might a less experienced forwardline in 2019 outperform it's 2018 roster. Ryan, Rioli and Petch will definitely give some squads the fears.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
A fully fit WC forwardline, with NN and Shuey playing in the middle will likely be the most damaging.

Darling and Kennedy together are excellent at making space for themselves and other forwards. Kennedy is arguably the most talented forward in the comp at leading to and scoring from clean centre clearances. That's a huge plus when considering the new rules, WC are unbelievably efficient at scoring from those clean centre breaks or stoppages in the F50 due to players like Shuey, Yeo, Cripps, Rioli, Ryan etc., so any rules which decongest that forwardline in those two circumstances suit the WC list and gamestyle.

However, WC by the numbers are only a midrange team when it comes to scoring from kick ins and rebounding from defensive 50, I think that's an area that suits Richmonds list. So my judgement was based largely on WC not having the ideal combination of personnel early in the season, to compliment their gamestyle (though this may not matter), Richmond being already good at rebounding footy and the chaos style goals then adding a dominant Kennedy style KPF (Lynch), that may give them a huge edge on most teams from clean centre breaks. WC are a well drilled side though, with a lot of youthful energy. In the same way a less experienced midfield in 2018 outperformed the 2017 roster, so might a less experienced forwardline in 2019 outperform it's 2018 roster. Ryan, Rioli and Petch will definitely give some squads the fears.
I think Petch is going to be a little bit of a secret weapon. Looks incredibly quick

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Rioli > Stephenson
Ryan > Elliott
Kennedy > Cox
Cripps < De Goey
Darling > Miochek
Allen > Thomas

Wc fwd line destroys Collingwood it's only kept alive by De Goey

I’m an Eagles fan through and through but there’s no way Ryan is better than Elliot. He’s played half a season.

Allen has played 2 league games as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back