Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters
Stephenson had a phenomenal debut season last year kicking 38 goals and 24 behinds. In 3 years time he will be the best half forward flanker or in other words (medium forward) in the competition.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Not enough love for the Crows. Best link forward in the comp in Lynch.

Walker still elite for score involvements, despite flaws in his game, he's a jet.

Jenkins is good for 40 goals a season plus ruck chop out.

Betts looks back to his best (as far as one can tell from preseason).

Who fills the last 2 spots remains to be seen, Cameron left a big hole.

But the other 4 are very good.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Going by 2018 "points for" its Melbourne with 2299 points with second Richmond on 2143. We may do better this year if Kennedy plays most games, he only kicked 43 goals in 2018 and if he has a good year we would push Melbourne this year.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Going by 2018 "points for" its Melbourne with 2299 points with second Richmond on 2143. We may do better this year if Kennedy plays most games, he only kicked 43 goals in 2018 and if he has a good year we would push Melbourne this year.

Hogan accounted for 252 points and is no longer on the list.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Hogan accounted for 252 points and is no longer on the list.

His replacement you would expect to kick some of those goals. At least half.

But they wont be kicking 42 goals in two games against Gold Coast in 2019.

Much harder draw in 2019 than 2018.

Play the Swans, Tigers, Pies and Eagles twice. Only play Carlton, Gold Coast and Freo once.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Stephenson has no game other than his speed. Rioli has speed, sublime kicking skills, excellent decision maker, defensive pressure and x factor

It's one thing to argue the merits of your own player but to come out with completely ridicolous s**t like this ...

This is how long it took the games great smalls to kick more than what Stephenson did in his debut season

Betts 5th
Rioli 8th
Farmer 4th
Milne 2nd
Ablett Jnr 9th ( he did it as a mid.. freak)
Breust 2nd
Daicos 3rd

You don't have to embarrass yourself by shitting on other players to prove a point

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's one thing to argue the merits of your own player but to come out with completely ridicolous s**t like this ...

This is how long it took the games great smalls to kick more than what Stephenson did in his debut season

Betts 5th
Rioli 8th
Farmer 4th
Milne 2nd
Ablett Jnr 9th ( he did it as a mid.. freak)
Breust 2nd
Daicos 3rd

You don't have to embarrass yourself by shitting on other players to prove a point

Bruest is probably 4th seeing as he was was on Hawthorne's list 2 years before debut.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rioli plays high half forward. Stephenson is often your deepest forward and plays the Jenkins goal square opportunist role. Rioli plays high up the ground and is therefore less likely to score. Learn your footy.
I have noticed this is your go to line, let's put it to the test.

What are the differentials in stats that a high half forward should be way in front?

Playing a high half forward you would think they are in the play a lot more, so should be way in front in IF's, tackles etc.

So do you have some stats that proves this?

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I have noticed this is your go to line, let's put it to the test.

What are the differentials in stats that a high half forward should be way in front?

Playing a high half forward you would think they are in the play a lot more, so should be way in front in IF's, tackles etc.

So do you have some stats that proves this?
Correct. Daniel Rioli averages more inside 50s and tackles than Jaidyn Stephenson. Well done.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So you would have some stats to show this then?

I mean if 1 plays high and the other is near the goals, it should be a fairly large differential, yeah?

So come on, lets see if you really know your footy.
Rioli averages more than Stephenson in both the aforementioned stats. I’m not sure what else you want me to say here? Where are you going with this?

Just because Rioli plays higher up the ground does not necessarily mean he will have more inside 50s than Stephenson. He should, but there are cases where he won’t. That’s why stats are largely pointless.

As I have stated previously on this board, I never rely solely on stats. In fact, I strongly advise avoiding them at all costs. For example, stats will tell you Seb Ross had a better season than Steele Sidebottom in 2018, however everyone knows this is incorrect.

If you get too caught up in stats, you’re not trusting your naked eye and footballing nous. Use stats to support your argument, but always keep them secondary. I prefer to judge a player by their influence, role, skills, etc. Lockdown defenders and taggers can look terrible on paper, but they often are crucial in dictating the outcome of a game. So if you want to discuss stats, you’ve come to the wrong guy.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rioli averages more than Stephenson in both the aforementioned stats. I’m not sure what else you want me to say here? Where are you going with this?

Just because Rioli plays higher up the ground does not necessarily mean he will have more inside 50s than Stephenson. He should, but there are cases where he won’t. That’s why stats are largely pointless.

As I have stated previously on this board, I never rely solely on stats. In fact, I strongly advise avoiding them at all costs. For example, stats will tell you Seb Ross had a better season than Steele Sidebottom in 2018, however everyone knows this is incorrect.

If you get too caught up in stats, you’re not trusting your naked eye and footballing nous. Use stats to support your argument, but always keep them secondary. I prefer to judge a player by their influence, role, skills, etc. Lockdown defenders and taggers can look terrible on paper, but they often are crucial in dictating the outcome of a game. So if you want to discuss stats, you’ve come to the wrong guy.
So you claim he plays higher, stats should show he plays higher, but now stats don't matter?

I really think you should start taking your own advise, "learn your footy"

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So you claim he plays higher, stats should show he plays higher, but now stats don't matter?

I really think you should start taking your own advise, "learn your footy"
I claimed he plays higher up the ground and that stats can indicate that he plays higher up the ground, but I know that stats can also be misleading, therefore I often disregard them.

You need to take a deep breath and just read what I’m writing. You’re on the front foot because something I have written has upset you. If you take the emotion out of it, you’ll be able to contribute to a healthy discussion, but right now you’re all over the shop. Just settle down.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
I claimed he plays higher up the ground and that stats can indicate that he plays higher up the ground, but I know that stats can also be misleading, therefore I often disregard them.

You need to take a deep breath and just read what I’m writing. You’re on the front foot because something I have written has upset you. If you take the emotion out of it, you’ll be able to contribute to a healthy discussion, but right now you’re all over the shop. Just settle down.
Mate i wouldn't care if Rioli was 10 times the player, but when you tell someone to "learn your footy" over and over, i wanted to know how much you knew.

It seem you know little.

Last edited:

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Mate i wouldn't care if Rioli was 10 the player, but when you tell someone to "learn your footy" over and over, i wanted to know how much you knew.

It seem you know little.
I am one of the most knowledgeable posters on this website. That’s why opposition posters get so emotionally agitated when I criticise their teams/players. It’s because they know I’m correct.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am one of the most knowledgeable posters on this website. That’s why opposition posters get so emotionally agitated when I criticise their teams/players. It’s because they know I’m correct.
I just went and asked my wife if i looked emotionally agitated, she looked at me weird like, then said "what's so funny and get up off the carpet, i just cleaned that".

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Stephenson has no game other than his speed. Rioli has speed, sublime kicking skills, excellent decision maker, defensive pressure and x factor
I reckon if Stephenson and Rioli swapped clubs. Rioli would of score 50 goals for Collingwood last year. Stephenson wouldn’t have been as effective in west coasts system.

If I compare to a player from 2018 at Carlton. Matthew Wright. If he played for Coll in 2018 he would of scored 38+ goals too. Stephenson is playing welldue to collingwoods system. He can afford not to man up and just roam around and attack. He gets 1 goal a game out the back due to other midfielders excellent work.

Back