• Sydney

Votes: 59 7.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 73 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Merret and Daniher could become elite in time but the rest are no where near it.
You're kidding yourself mate, Daniher is already an elite player in the competition based on this year, for him it's about backing it up now year after year. You of all people should know Stringer can be elite. And if you don't think Fantasia and McGrath have elite potential then you haven't watched any of our games. Fanta would have been very close to AA squad had it not been for his hammy in round 20 missing the rest of the year (kicked 39 goals from 19 games) and McGrath won the RS....

Interesting.

I would argue our youth played a huge part in our premiership journey as did the bulldogs. Bontempelli willed his team to a premiership last year, with Tom Boyd dominating the grand final. Rioli played a big part in getting us there with 4 huge preliminary final goals, Jack Graham went one better and kicked 3 momentum changing goals in the grand final in his fifth game whilst shutting out Sloane, and Butler and Castagna completely changed the dynamic of the whole AFL game in 2017 with unmatched forward half pressure.

I don't see anyone from Melbourne's list that has had that sort of impact in high pressure games other than the newly imported Jake Lever who failed on the biggest stage early in his career, or Sydney's, or any other teams for that matter. So yes, it can be argued that being premiership players and having a significant impact in that journey should put the bulldogs and richmond at the top of the list. :thumbsu::eek:
Excellent post and refreshing to read comments that are insightful and intelligent. Different from the normal crap you read.

Only one of those lists has an All-Australian + a Rising Star winner - Essendon. Add in elite talent like Parish and Fantasia and it has to be us.
Ours has 4 premiership players, a GOTY winner and a GF sprint winner, along with the equal rising star favourite for 2018 (although, I can't really use that as evidence of potential because he hasn't even won it). But that doesn't make it the best youth.

You're kidding yourself mate, Daniher is already an elite player in the competition based on this year, for him it's about backing it up now year after year. You of all people should know Stringer can be elite. And if you don't think Fantasia and McGrath have elite potential then you haven't watched any of our games. Fanta would have been very close to AA squad had it not been for his hammy in round 20 missing the rest of the year (kicked 39 goals from 19 games) and McGrath won the RS....
If they are so elite why did Essendon not win a final? The Bulldogs and Richmond had a host of players 21-24 that are premiership players. Until Essendon produce in finals and the players you mentioned play a big part in it, they are not elite at all. And Stringer has been an average AFL player for 2 years. Your bias towards Essendon is deluding your judgement.

If they are so elite why did Essendon not win a final? The Bulldogs and Richmond had a host of players 21-24 that are premiership players. Until Essendon produce in finals and the players you mentioned play a big part in it, they are not elite at all. And Stringer has been an average AFL player for 2 years. Your bias towards Essendon is deluding your judgement.

I think when you're evaluating an individuals talent you value it based on their individual output not on how their team has gone in finals. Matty Richardson was on holiday every September but it doesn't change the fact he was an unbelievable individual player. In our last two finals Daniher has kicked 7 goals and easily been our best player. Parish was one of our best players against Sydney. The fact is Essendon has only started to form into a really good team in the past 12 months so to base an assessment on one sample size is kind of short sighted.

Hawthorn with the 4th most votes is a doozy. OP should've made the poll public.

I probably should have but I am not willing to try and change it now because changing it will likely reset the poll.

Either way I too am surprised that Hawthorn is coming 4th in this poll. I mean I think Hawthorn's recruiters have done very well with the awful draft pick they have had in recent years but I don't think Hawthorn's youth are even in the top 10, much less the top 4.

This is a terribly uninformed post. We've had Hogan, Oliver, and Petracca be pivotal in games we've won. We don't win QB without Petracca's dominance when he went into the midfield at half-time. Unsurprisingly, he received 10 votes from the coaches.

Oliver didn't come 7th in the Coaches votes for no reason :eek:

And you're overlooking the fact that it's far easier for young players to stand up in a team that is dominating the opposition, like you were in the GF. When you've got that sort of momentum everyone gets in on the action.

Your post is terribly lacking in perspicacity.

I’m amazed at how many so called experts of this game including you Twav don’t pay much attention when watching football, it’s far easier to read a journos opinion after the game. The mighty tigers first two finals were all in the balance late, the GF by under two goals at half time. In all games the youth rose to the occasion and delivered each and every time under extreme pressure, in front of mammoth crowds, without a dummy in their mouths nor being bottlefed.

I remember being at the ANZAC eve game against Melbourne where the pressure and crowd contributed to your high end young talent to fumble and stumble their way to an embarrassing loss. As a Melbourne supporter I’m not surprised you see it half full when on that night and many games afterwards it was half empty and still is.

Re-appear when your best young talent performs on the big stage, because unfulfilled talent is commonplace at Melbourne. I’m sure you had Jack Watts captaining the club, holding up the premiership cup, winning an all Australian and Brownlow Medal a couple of years ago.

Please.......maybe spend time watching a team that DEVELOPS kids to WIN games. A good start would be round 1 next year tigers or go check out where the bullies are playing. Your thread proves you read too much inside football.......I’ll give you a tip........the problem is........I side your head!!

It's all well and good to play well in some meaningless games during the year, but in your most important game in round 23 with finals on the line against a nothing-to-play-for Collingwood their performances weren't good enough.
I'm not saying that they aren't capable, but they haven't showed it on the biggest stage like Richmond's young players have yet.

Saying it is easier for 5 game veteran Jack Graham to stand up in the biggest game of the year against the best team all year to kick 3 goals and destroy sloane all because his team is playing well is as you would say 'terribly uninformed'. I would say he, along with our other young players were a big reason we were 'dominating the opposition'. Without Graham, Butler, Rioli and Castagna I doubt we make the grand final at all let alone win it.

Throw in a premiership winning first ruck in Toby Nankervis, and a premiership winning quarterback in Nick Vlastuin who barely fall out this weird criteria by being 23 years old, and I would say Richmond's youth is comfortably in front. :eek:
No disrespect, but you're an intellectual midget.

No disrespect, but you're an intellectual midget.

Melbourne must love supporters like you, keep paying your membership, I think it’s called blind faith!! Yes, you do have the best youth. There......does that make you feel better!!

As for the tigers, your right our success was a direct result of 4 established and a few other old blokes like Nanks, Cads, Meatball, Tigger, Broad, Towna, including our least talented youth having little input

All the power to your ability to work it all out.......I’m sure the Melbourne will come knocking on your door!!

I am a midget and an intellectual ones.....thanks!!

Still has nothing to do with Carlton supporters rigging their vote as though we are not worthy of consideration and it isn't generally youth that wins games.

My comment is in regard to the absurd levels of bias that comes from your lot. It's off the charts.

That is not how youth works. Youth is about the future, not necessarily the here and now. North's older players are better than Carlton's older players and in the here and now that is the more important thing, but in 2 years time, Carlton's current players who are under 23 will be very important and will be shouldering the load.

North have a younger and less experienced list than Carlton, and apparently we are looking forward to many more years of rebuilding. Several Carlton posters have claimed we are 3 years behind them in a rebuild.

I'm expecting a comfortable 60+ point win to the meteoric Blues in round 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May have already been pointed out (I didn't look because really, it's a meaningless subject) but of the 11 teams with the 'least youth', 8 were finalists. Youth = overrated. If it's not overrated, Richmond has the 'most youth' of the finalists.

My comment is in regard to the absurd levels of bias that comes from your lot. It's off the charts.

Rubbish. We are no different than any supporter group. You're just targeting your flavour of the week as you like to do. Not exactly adverse to some absurd levels of bias yourself by the way.

That is not how youth works. Youth is about the future, not necessarily the here and now. North's older players are better than Carlton's older players and in the here and now that is the more important thing, but in 2 years time, Carlton's current players who are under 23 will be very important and will be shouldering the load.

Exactly. Our core is 24 and under. They need to get to that 22-27 range to be seriously challenging.

For where dons and swans are at their youth is quite remarkable, I know the Dons got the spoon but the circs were not exactly normal (so McGrath was gift they would not otherwise have got) their other selections have proved insightful much like the Swans. Dees for all their picks the only potential bonafide league wide star will be Petracca. (Viney could be the other) Oliver will be A grade (which is pretty damn good) Hogan will be very good but I don't think he will ever be the year in year Coleman medal fancy we all otherwise thought, and with all their draft picks over the years they might find bit of leakage like GWS have found with so many high picks. If GWS were going to be decade long super team, the Dees should have been right up their clacker with comparative amount of picks they have had albeit a longer time period. They will need some KPP to come on in a big way to justify quite rightly what looks on paper mighty appealing.

I'm not getting into the specifics of who will be a good or bad player in the future because it's all opinion.

But the post about Melbourne needing to have a super team is stupid as *.
All of the picks taken under the regimes prior to Paul Roos and Peter Jackson were failures
Watts Scully Trenners Toumpas Morton Gysberts Cook Grimes are all gone from the club. The only early rated talent we still have is Viney and he could never fail in any system such is the determination.

Since the new regime came in we started a rebuild so only talent taken by the club post 2013 is relevant.
Oliver Petracca Brayshaw JKH ANB Hunt Vandenburg Lever Mcdonald etc basically our whole team was built in the last 3 years.

Only Jones Gawn Jetta Pedo Viney Mcdonald Hogan are on the list from that time.

I'll be honest, I suspect it's because their older players aren't as good as Richmond's older players, or at the very least weren't as good this year. Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards versus Heppell, Hurley, Goddard, Hooker and Zaharakis.

Problem with Essendon is they have a really talented side that looks good on paper, but if you beat them in the midfield their stars become inpotent they can't get the ball. Their inside midfielders got pushed around by Sydney in the finals.

Rubbish. We are no different than any supporter group. You're just targeting your flavour of the week as you like to do. Not exactly adverse to some absurd levels of bias yourself by the way.
I have no love for your lot, but for that idiot to label anybody else with absurd levels of bias is the most hypocritical thing I've read.
Most parents show less bias towards their children then that clown does about anything North related and if anybody rightfully challenges him he puts you on ignore.
One of the worst posters on BF almost as biased as he is clueless.

I'll be honest, I suspect it's because their older players aren't as good as Richmond's older players, or at the very least weren't as good this year. Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards versus Heppell, Hurley, Goddard, Hooker and Zaharakis.

Problem with Essendon is they have a really talented side that looks good on paper, but if you beat them in the midfield their stars become inpotent they can't get the ball. Their inside midfielders got pushed around by Sydney in the finals.
Yeah there’s a fair argument here. Richmond’s best players are pretty much all in that older bracket (2009 draft or earlier), whereas the Bombers have some players in that older group (Hurley, Hooker, Zaka and Goddard ‘08 draft or earlier) but have Heppell (2010 draft), Daniher (2012), Merrett (2013), Fantasia (2013), McKenna (2013), Parish (2015) Walla (2015) & McGrath (2016) as key cogs now and into the future. Them being young doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll develop further into the future but combining them with Langford/Laverde/Francis/Stewart/Stringer/Smith/Begley/Ridley/Saad all 24 or younger means there’s scope for growth there.

If Bulldogs have elite premiership players aged 21-24 why did they fail to even make the finals last year - finishing below our lowly players? Does this mean they have no good youth?
Dumb argument. Its obvious that its the whole team that wins finals and not just a slice of your list.

Not winning a final doesn't mean you don't have good young players.

Very fair assessment. The Richmond elders had a stunning finals campaign.

Content with Collingwood's, not the best but certainly not the worst. De Goey played some top notch footy at the back end of the year, specifically his games against West Coast and Hawthorn where he led our midfield by himself. I liken him to Dayne Beams.

Darcy Moore to go to the next level needs to become a defender. Either to improve his contested ability to go back up forward or move there permanently. I think his athleticism is better suited in the back line, I liken him to Michael Hurley.

Brayden Maynard is the gem - looked insanely good when running through midfield as a line breaker which we haven't had in a while. He's rough and is strong defensively, he uses it well and is tough to tackle when on a run. Not sure who to compare him to - Zak Jones or our old Ben Johnson perhaps

Josh Daicos - looking good as a young defensive forward. I think he'll be a solid 10-20 ranked player on the list, plays like Daniel Rioli.
Sam McLarty hasn't played yet but stood strong in the VFL at the back end of the year. I think he's a good chance to make it.
Tom Phillips - can run all day and possesses a lethal set of hands. Needs to fix up his disposal or he won't make it though, as he's purely a winger.
Jaidyn Stephenson - I see far more potential than the accepted winger/half-forward role people reckon he'll be. When playing through midfield in the U18's, I saw Nat Fyfe but perhaps that's too much of a ceiling to put just yet.
Nathan Murphy - very good mark and kick of the pill. Is a very safe option in my eyes and has a lot more development left than his U18 peers.

James Aish - won't make it. Just doesn't offer enough.
Matthew Scharenberg - I'm still not sold. Slow, standard marking and isn't best 22 atm so won't get the natural nurturing he needs.
Ben Crocker - has two years left on his deal but looks too basic to make it. Slow, can't crumb, standard marking and doesn't tackle.
Callum Brown - far too vanilla for mine. Won't make it, especially in our midfield.

Back