Who has the better youth, Hawthorn or Collingwood?

Who has the better youth, Hawthorn or Collingwood?

• Hawthorn

Votes: 84 54.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 71 45.8%

• Total voters
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I wouldnt pick someone who had never played a game if I am choosing someone who gets a 10 year contract. That would be literally insane.
Hahahahaha.

Think of the NBA in the late 1980s to early 1990s.

Stars like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan were only on 3 million a year.

Hell Jordans contract from 1988-1996 was only 3 million a year.

From 1988-1996, the salary cap sky rocketed up massively.

A guy like Larry Johnson who was an early 1st rounder in 1991, who played for Charlotte hornets from 1991-96 and new York Knicks from 1996-2001, was given a 10 year, 60-70 Millon dollar contract before playing his 1st NBA game.

But yeah i get your point

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
View attachment 1331517

Better picks = Better players
Not all the time though.

Pick 2 is an interesting one. This is gonna be random on what i will say.

Pick 2 has an interesting theme.

2002. Daniel Wells

2006. Scott Gumbleton

2010. Harley Bennell.

All three were talented. All three stood out in their draft year. All 3 had their careers hurt by injury.

Wells at least made it to 200 games.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
It might be a bit difficult for you to comprehend champ, but there is a difference between Ward being the next Walsh and JHF having a similar playing style to Ablett snr.

If you’re going to be potting others for their comprehension abilities, you might want to be sure that yours are on point.

I didn’t say that Ward was going to be the “next Walsh” any more than you’re presumably suggesting JHF is going to be as good as Ablett Snr, I said he was looking like being a similar “type” to Walsh and Brayshaw.

Hence saying “type”. As in… you guessed it, type.

Ie. his playing style, and at a similar quality to at least Brayshaw.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
N
If you’re going to be potting others for their comprehension abilities, you might want to be sure that yours are on point.

I didn’t say that Ward was going to be the “next Walsh” any more than you’re presumably suggesting JHF is going to be as good as Ablett Snr, I said he was looking like being a similar “type” to Walsh and Brayshaw.

Hence saying “type”. As in… you guessed it, type.

Ie. his playing style, and at a similar quality to at least Brayshaw.
Now now quality of Brayshaw is a bit much mayo!
AB is A1+ Don’t put that heat on a zero gamer he will burn up!

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daicos got some nice stats today. How did he look and where did he play? I didn't get to watch the game.
He was probably our best player.
Importantly he seemed to use the ball well in traffic often putting us into attacking positions. Balanced, composed. The kid is very,very good.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With North steamrolling the Hawthorn/Adelaide/North thread, I think it's time for these two sides to have their own poll.

Hawks - Day, CJ, Scrimshaw, DGB, Ward, Kozi, Lewis, Butler, McDonald, Worpel, Moore, Bramble, Brockman, Long, Jeka, Newcombe.

Pies - Daicos x2, Macrae, Reef, Henry, Bianco, IQ, Draper, McMahon, Ginnivan, Beau, Kreuger

Both sides have a lot of holes - Early stages of their rebuild & a long road ahead... Whos youth would you prefer?

Half these guys at a minimum won't make it.

Same for the North ones that'd be listed.

So much focus on youth but having the program to take them the next step is important. Richmond have got real impact from the likes of Balta, Bolton, Baker, Graham and have good signs from the likes of RCD, Ralphsmith, Ross, Stack, Mansell and Cumberland. Overall there's no chance that group comes in with the same ratings as the Hawks or Pies crop, nowhere near the draft pick numbers.

I mean I'm sure everyone "knows" this but people don't ever seem to consider it.

I'd say Hawthorn for that reason though. They are the most likely club to get success out of their youngsters, as has been shown over and over. Obviously jury is out on Mitchell as a coach but the development is bigger than the coach. It's also why I think I'd have them over Norths - even though the North crop as a whole would probably be the best junior talent crop (using draft pick numbers for a start), and raw talent is there, but do North have the program and winning culture Hawthorn do? Not even a gram of it.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Daicos got some nice stats today. How did he look and where did he play? I didn't get to watch the game.

Superb off half back.

As good as Ward was yesterday, I think the return of Mitchell/O'Meara will quell his stats enough that Daicos will romp the RS home.

I'd have him as probable to end the year as "elite" for a half back.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Superb off half back.

As good as Ward was yesterday, I think the return of Mitchell/O'Meara will quell his stats enough that Daicos will romp the RS home.

I'd have him as probable to end the year as "elite" for a half back.
Quell his stats? the bloke had 67% TOG.

He was not as good as Ward or close, he was very good tho.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Quell his stats? the bloke had 67% TOG.

He was not as good as Ward or close, he was very good tho.

They played different games.

Ward was better in most key statistical categories but looked rougher around the edges than Daicos who had the skill and composure of a veteran.

The most impressive part of Wards game for a first year player is that he lead his team for clearances, disposals and contested possessions.

On the whole, you'd say Ward was 'better' this weekend. To the eye test I won't bemoan anybody who preferred the game Daicos played.

Both look ready to hit the ground running in their AFL careers.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Good Pie youth from today

Daicos bros both great, Nick BOG for us
Henry and Ginnivan dangerous up forward
Tyler Brown showed a bit more through the middle, although still needs somw more size

Giants 22 and under talent were better today - Taylor, Greene, Riccardi and Bruhn - all looked impressive. Another great bunch coming through.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Good Pie youth from today

Daicos bros both great, Nick BOG for us
Henry and Ginnivan dangerous up forward
Tyler Brown showed a bit more through the middle, although still needs somw more size

Giants 22 and under talent were better today - Taylor, Greene, Riccardi and Bruhn - all looked impressive. Another great bunch coming through.

Ward was better in most key statistical categories but looked rougher around the edges than Daicos who had the skill and composure of a veteran.

The most impressive part of Wards game for a first year player is that he lead his team for clearances, disposals and contested possessions.

On the whole, you'd say Ward was 'better' this weekend. To the eye test I won't bemoan anybody who preferred the game Daicos played.

Nailed it. Very different types, so hard to compare. If you’re judging on class and poise with ball in hand it’s Daicos all the way. If you’re looking for an in and under clearance beast it’s Ward. Both look like they’re going to have very good careers from limited viewing.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

They played different games because Ward played inside mid and Daicos played off HB, alot easier to look composed and skillful in that role.

Not saying Daicos isn't because that's the part of his game that is better, is his class and composure on the outside.

Ward won 29 touches, 19 contested.

Good in the clearances and stoppage, good in and under, good by and good by foot, showed his gut running, playmaking and kicking and composure.
Good defensively.

Had two opportunities at goal also.

Nick was good and won the footy off HB
31 touches at 74%
with 5 i50 and 7 r50

very good game from Nick, but Ward was a class above in his game.

Ward had a better game, i think most would say that but it's only a practice game anyway so it doesn't really matter. Still Ward did that in 67% TOG while Daicos played 87%.

Back