Who has the better youth, Hawthorn or Collingwood?

Who has the better youth, Hawthorn or Collingwood?

• Hawthorn

Votes: 84 54.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 71 45.8%

• Total voters

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep but when ur hopes all rest on a first year player you know things ain't good...

Like the look of F MacRae too.
Not sure what you mean by our 'hopes' resting on one player. Moore, Crisp, Grundy, JDG, Maynard, Adams are all All Australian squad types. If he turns out better than those guys in his first year then he will be one hell of a special player.

We are a bottom 4 side right now. We are playing plenty of kids. I think Dermie mentioned 11 (under 20 games) today.

It's nice to have a very high quality kid who thus far looks like he will justify the hype and makes the game look easy.

You mentioned MaCrae, and I think he will be one of the best of our 2020 draft kids. McInness is the one we are really keen to see from that draft play this year. Extremely highly rated by the club. Unfortunately broke his hand early last season.

Kreuger looked dangerous and is very competitive on the forward line. Pity he knocked himself out in the 1st half.

But it's a work in progress that's for sure.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
They played different games because Ward played inside mid and Daicos played off HB, alot easier to look composed and skillful in that role.

Not saying Daicos isn't because that's the part of his game that is better, is his class and composure on the outside.

Ward won 29 touches, 19 contested.

Good in the clearances and stoppage, good in and under, good by and good by foot, showed his gut running, playmaking and kicking and composure.
Good defensively.

Had two opportunities at goal also.

Nick was good and won the footy off HB
31 touches at 74%
with 5 i50 and 7 r50

very good game from Nick, but Ward was a class above in his game.

Ward had a better game, i think most would say that but it's only a practice game anyway so it doesn't really matter. Still Ward did that in 67% TOG while Daicos played 87%.
Utter rubbish. Daicos was sublime and was damaging with the ball. Not simply an accumulator.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Utter rubbish. Daicos was sublime and was damaging with the ball. Not simply an accumulator.
He was yes, but i'm not wrong.
It's easier to look good and be more damaging with the ball on the outside than the inside. Just a fact.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good Pie youth from today

Daicos bros both great, Nick BOG for us
Henry and Ginnivan dangerous up forward
Tyler Brown showed a bit more through the middle, although still needs somw more size

Giants 22 and under talent were better today - Taylor, Greene, Riccardi and Bruhn - all looked impressive. Another great bunch coming through.
Greene is a beast. Bruhn seems like he is going to be very annoying, but has plenty of skill and can play.
Riccardi I don't rate at all. Had easy goals but seems to be very vanilla.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Superb off half back.

As good as Ward was yesterday, I think the return of Mitchell/O'Meara will quell his stats enough that Daicos will romp the RS home.

I'd have him as probable to end the year as "elite" for a half back.

The defensive side to his game was the one question mark over him during his draft year. I wonder how he will adjust - may have simply been a matter of his team allowing him to concentrate purely on offence and let the work horses cover for him.

Either way it will be interesting to see if he cops a tag/attention or opposition teams try to channel the ball through his man.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Superb off half back.

As good as Ward was yesterday, I think the return of Mitchell/O'Meara will quell his stats enough that Daicos will romp the RS home.

I'd have him as probable to end the year as "elite" for a half back.

Yeah I agree re: Ward. He will see significantly less midfield time once the senior players are back. It's likely that he will play out on a wing to compensate. I believe he will still be impressive playing on a wing, but will have less chances to really impact games out there.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
The most impressive part of Wards game for a first year player is that he lead his team for clearances, disposals and contested possessions.
Not just his team, but had the most contested possessions on the ground by 6, was equal game-high for clearances, and really impressively, had an equal game-high 9 intercept possessions.

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1648299087825.png

Our kids are alright.

Back