Opinion Who is currently our best midfielder?

Who is our best midfielder?

• Yeo

• Shuey

• Gaff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
A while back a pies fan was arguing with me that Elliot Yeo is our best midfielder and that he doesn't rate Shuey at all. On the other hand i believe Shuey is not only one of the most damaging players in the comp but by far our best midfielder. Tonight the same argument came up and both of us didn't budge from our original opinion.

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Shuey still top dog atm but If Sheed continues hes current form he could take over. Yeo also could go next level in his 2nd year as a full time mid

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
With ball in hand it's Shuey, but Gaff's form last year with ball in hand was exceptional. All those kicks that fell 2 metres short in 2017 (possibly due to his ankle injections or whatever his issue was that year) were gone, he hit the scoreboard and he barely ever missed a target. Yeo is the longest kick, capable of the long range goals, but Shuey wins this by being so dual sided.

Defensively, Shuey and Yeo are hard to split. Shuey probably stronger in contests, but Yeo better at running players down from behind, Gaff lagging way behind.

Can't fault any of them on courage. Gaff's positioning on field is better than anyone on the team, he's constantly sitting in the hole in front of bigger players an is always presenting for team mates.

Contested ball is something Gaff has improved on, he actually has very clean hands, can scoop a ball up and fire off a handball very quickly, but doesn't have the physical strength to pick it up and run out with it like Yeo and Shuey.

Based on last years form Gaff was the best because he always played his best, then Yeo, then Shuey.

Based on who I think will be the best this year; Shuey, Yeo then Gaff. But not by much at all. Shuey gets it just for his ball use over Yeo.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey and easily too at this stage.

There is a reason he is tagged every game and it's because the moment he isn't he just runs riot. Put the tag on Yeo and he drops way below Shueys game to game input.

Gaff is a great player but doesn't have the impact of either. It's like judging scott west against chris judd. West statistically in almost all areas is the better player but the game isn't played on base statistics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard very hard. Probably Shuey the best midfielder, but I kinda feel like Yeo is more important to the team as he's more unique, can run both ways, and can play anywhere.

Gaff's the most consistent, and best at his position compared to the other two (gaff has only one or two peers on the wing, whereas shuey/yeo aren't better than Dangerfield/martin).

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Shue is our most damaging and important mid but I feel gaffs production and consistency makes him too hard to pass on

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Its staggered me for years how underated Shuey is with oppo supporters. Neck and neck between Yeo and Shuey but due to how both handled the tag in the GF, Id still just go Shue. Still we had probably our best win of the year against Richmond with Shuey out and Yeo doing a number on Dusty.

Very glad he stayed, but Gaff is daylight behind those two imo. There's zero chance we win the flag last year if either of the other two were on the sidelines during the finals. Hell, its debatable we woulda won it if he plays instead of Sheed...

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Shueyyyyy.

Up there with Danger, Martin etc. but just get the credit he deserves from VIC media.

Yeo is 25 and hitting his prime now. Can take his game to the next level and has the potential to dominate games like Fyfe. Hoping we get to see that this year! Could carry us to a flag himself IMO.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Hard very hard. Probably Shuey the best midfielder, but I kinda feel like Yeo is more important to the team as he's more unique, can run both ways, and can play anywhere.

Gaff's the most consistent, and best at his position compared to the other two (gaff has only one or two peers on the wing, whereas shuey/yeo aren't better than Dangerfield/martin).
Sprayngerfield is so over rated - i can see the new rules making his shitty kicks a little more usable but still ....

Shuey gets the ball and kicks it with laser precision out in front of the leading forward - no contest i would be filthy if we traded shuey for that over rated priddis with pace

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Shuey for me. When he is at full flight his evasiveness in packs is a delight to watch and he is a great kick for goal. He just needs to kick around 20-25 goals a year like he did in 2015.

Gaff - is a death by a 1000 cuts player where he just keeps running and running and racking up the ball with ease.

Yeo - is that powerful big bodied mid that allows our mids to not to be bullied at centre clearances. Can rest forward which is a bonus.

Redden - Good inside and outside player which is good when we need to change it up.

Sheed - Has started to realise his potential as an inside mid.

Hutchings - Excellent tagger who is good for goal when he floats down there.

We have a very balanced midfield and it is extremely underrated.

Back